Thread: POW Island Bear.

Default POW Island Bear.

Anyone ever taken a wheeler down there? A friend and I are talking about trying our luck there this coming spring. Would like to take our wheelers and hit the loggin roads. If you have done this trip, and are willing to share information, I would appreciate it!

There arn't many ORV roads .... most Logging Roads connect to the mainline (20 road) which makes them hiway legal roads.

There are a few water barred roads that you can not take a hiway vehicle on and also a few that have trees or slides across them making them ORV legal. But once they pull the culverts or bridges you usually can't get a ORV across those creeks.

Actually don't see many 4-wheelers around.

Most Bear hunting is done on the beach in the spring and on the fish creeks in fall. All of September is closed to hunting Bear from a motor vehicle on the road system .... but October offers some upland clearcut / berry Bear hunting. Many are in the den by Oct 15th / end of Oct.

Default ORV

Muskeg is right on. The Forest service has been busy closing many of the old logging roads, removing culverts and stopping motorized access with gates and big holes. They are reducing the amount of classified roads down to a minimum. There are maps somewhere on the Forest Service website that show the legal ORV trails, but I only remember seeing a couple of insignificant trails indicated. You will be much better off with a skiff.

Default Skiff

I just hunted POW for the first time this past fall. From what I learned is that the old logging roads are preety good. therefore should you be a road hunter why would one sit on a cold and wet 4-wheeler when you could be in a heated truck. My advise would be park the truck and walk, but as others stated your best chance would be hunting from a skiff, "Spot and Stock." There are several places on the Island that rent Skiff's also offering full ocomidations to hunters. Google POW.

Huh pretty good info, thanks to all. Only brought up the wheeler idea, from seeing a recent bear hunting show. The guide and clients that were hunting down there, were using wheelers. I bait here in fairbanks, and hunt out of a friends boat in Valdez, so maybe not the type of trip that would be worth it to me. Just was thinking it would be a different sort of trip. Thanks again!

Question Pow Bear Hunt

Quote Originally Posted by AK LIVIN View Post
    I just hunted POW for the first time this past fall. From what I learned is that the old logging roads are preety good. therefore should you be a road hunter why would one sit on a cold and wet 4-wheeler when you could be in a heated truck. My advise would be park the truck and walk, but as others stated your best chance would be hunting from a skiff, "Spot and Stock." There are several places on the Island that rent Skiff's also offering full ocomidations to hunters. Google POW.
    Where did you stay on the island and what did it cost you?

Thank you

Default where did we stay

Quote Originally Posted by La Pine View Post
    Where did you stay on the island and what did it cost you?

Thank you
    We have a house in Coffman Cove. Should you google the island you would find everything you need. should you need more specific contact information let me know.