Thread: 2 stroke question - can you use ISO-HEET

Default 2 stroke question - can you use ISO-HEET

I have a 94 Polaris sportsman 4 wheeler. It is a two stroke 400 and today I was having a problem getting it past half throttle. It would just bog down and die if I didn't let off to about quarter throttle. My son rode it a week ago with no problems. I filled up the sled and wheeler today and thought maybe bad gas or moved some condensation around. It ran fine for about 2 miles then like crap for about 5 more ,turned around and it cleared up about a mile and a half from the parking lot. I don't want to go through this again tomorrow. Haven't fired up the sled yet. (It is a Polaris 650 triple) Can you run the red bottle of heet through 2 strokers. I have heard both yes and no. Didn't have hardly any increase in elevation but it did cross my mind just because of where the problem started and stopped.

So heat for 2 strokers or not? Sleds and wheelers.
    Figured I'd post the 4 wheeler question under here seeings how it's the same as the sled engines. But I also want to know for the 650 triple.

If the ISO HEET is the red bottle stuff then YES

Thumbs up Yes

The RED bottle can be used in any engine including 2-strokes and diesels. Never use the yellow bottle in anything but a 4-stroke gasser.

From the manufacturer... everything you ever wanted to know about HEET:

http://www.goldeagle.com/heet/faqs_heet.asp
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

IsoHeet or NAPA's ThermoAid are good for use in 2-strokes. Airplanes, too, for what it's worth. Be careful, the NAPA stuff is in a yellow bottle. The Heet brand yellow bottle is bad, red is good.

Draining your carb bowl would be a good idea. If you suspect water? Drain it often.

Default Temperay fix

If I was out running and pick up some contaminated gas in a village or lodge I would add the ISO heat to run. I would then fix the root problem by pulling the tank and dumping the gas, and draining the carbs . With the tank drained and empty I usually rise it with a bottle of iso and dry it out . it does not take much time to do this routine. problem gone. It only takes a small amount of water in jested in to a cylinder to burn a piston at high speed. Been there done that.

Most of any water my sleds have ingested has been from light snow getting into the airbox and melting. When riding in deep snow I always add isopropyl. That came from a lot of years of riding Polaris sleds, from Indy through Edge they all had some snow ingestion problems and occasional frozen carb problems. Yamaha had heated carbs that helped. I appreciated that for the years I rode a Mountain Max. Now days most of the sleds are injected but the airbox is still the airbox, and I'll still add isopropyl for those powder busting days. Old habit.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    Draining your carb bowl would be a good idea. If you suspect water? Drain it often.
    I would recommend doing this a few times each season and before storing for the off season. I have seen a lot of premature failures and serious corrosion, because some neglect draining the carbs once in a while. I do it when it is convenient, even if I don't suspect water. Been suprised quite a few times, to find as much as I have. If I am going on an extended trip, with expection of not wanting problems, I will tie one of the water absorbant elements on the gage and drop the whole deal in the tank. When it absorbs the water, take it out, dry it, put it back in and go again. I have dried them out overnight on several ocassions. I never leave a tank low on fuel, after each ride I top it off. The frost that forms in an empty or low tank is quite impressive.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default Yellow Heat

I've seen people put the yellow heat in a sled. What is it suppose to do to a 2 cycle?

Great question. I know with airplanes the issue with methanol is corrosion. Isopropyl is accepted for use. I've read the methanol is a no-no in snowmachines and I guess I never questioned why. NAPA Thermo Aid (isopropyl) is all I've ever used.

Yellow=methanol which is bad for several reasons.#1 in a 2 stroke when you suck in water it will cause detenation do bad things to pistons. methanol will mix with water and it will melt ice but it will not mix back into the gas so you will get a slug of mix that might toast your engine. #2 Methanol is bad on some rubber like intake boots. Red= Isopropyl alcohol it will mix with water and will mix with gas so this reduces the slug problem and it is a little beter on the rubber. This is why i use it in my plane and sno go.