Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Road Trapping Ethics

Default Road Trapping Ethics

I went up the steese today looking for a place to set a large bait with snares. I was up at about 60 mile where i found a good spot to pull off and was going to hike back a way to set some snares. However, in the pull out was a sign on the tree saying that someone was trapping both sides of the road from mile 35 to mile 90 including every drainage and stream. To me this sounds a little bogus. I decided not to set the snares up. There were no tracks in the parking lot and not even a trail leaving the pull out. As near as I could see there was a person runnning the river on snowmachine and assume they are trapping. Can they realy take the whole road from mile 35 to 90 just by trapping the river? To me it seems like road trapping is open to everyone. If you want your line you can go cut it off the road. I was a little upset as I had just drove an hour to make this set up. Need a little advice here.

Thanks
    Carl

Default Road trapping...

Let me guess the sign said "we are trappping every drainage from 35 miles to 90 mile, please do not impeded our line by trapping it. had five names on it?

Just find an area you want to set and set it, public land is public land, especially road trapping, they have no legal basis to keep you from trapping it.

Aktrpr

well as I see it acording to above.. anyway.. that is a lot of area.. and for 5 people thats alot of traps.. you risk them being unethical towards your traps.(if they recognize them as foreign). so it may not be worth it in the long run..

but it is public property.. your fully entitled to set up..

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

The Trappers' Code of Ethics
    A Trapper's Responsibility

1. Respect the other trapper's “grounds” — particularly brushed, maintained traplines with a history of use.

I dont think a "road" falls under the "particularly brushed, maintained traplines " category. Especially taking up 55 miles of a road and all included drainages.You might want to call fish and game and see if they have any advice or make an attempt to contact the trappers themselves.

If this is what everyone is going to start doing; I will take south of Turnagain arm and north of the Kenai river.......... Just kidding.

Hope it works out for you.

ATA Trappers manual, page 11.

"One mile from either side of the public road system is considered open area and belongs to everyone. Beaver ponds are the only exception........"

Sounds good to me!

Sounds like I will be heading back out to set a few snares. Thanks for the input everyone. I wish I had read the ATA manual more thoroughly. Thanks

Sounds like AKTrpr has seen the signs I am talking about. They are in every pull out. We found a group of ptarmigan by the road and i pulled off to turn around and there was another sign in that pull out.

Well my girlfriend got one of the ptarmigan so it wasn't a bad day.

Thanks
    Carl

Good luck up there Carl .

Just remember the ATA manual is not Law so they probably don't care about that any way. Set your snares, just be prepared for some craziness if you have a run in. I agree with what Hoyt and AK4Life posted, now if everyone would just abide by those. Good luck, hopefully you won't have to deal with them. Would be nice to find out who they are. Do they have five names to make it sound like they need all that room, or is it because they aren't sure which one will get off their lazy duff and actually make it out there. The whole road.... that just blows me away.

Carl, I seen those signs last season, Im trapping elswhere this season.

Do the official trapping regulations say anything about this? Sounds like if it doesn't, it should.

Default steese trappers

I have heard of people having bad run ins with one or more members of this group I would avise against setting up on their trails unless you can contact them and get permision. There is also an established line at mile101 and most of the drainages up to central. Good luck finding a spot

Quote Originally Posted by fshgde View Post
    I have heard of people having bad run ins with one or more members of this group I would avise against setting up on their trails unless you can contact them and get permision. There is also an established line at mile101 and most of the drainages up to central. Good luck finding a spot

Contact them to get permission? What a crock they don't own anything to give permission for. You can't claim 55 miles of both sides of the road and attempt to intimidate every one off it by bullying them. Unbelievable.

Yea I agree with you but at the same time I am in college and cannot afford someone taking my traps. I think I will try to push through davidson ditch this weekend to get some set. Almost made it last weekend but snow got too deep so we turned around. This week we will head back with chains.

Thanks
    Carl

I CLAIM THE REX TRAIL... ALL OF IT! I also want the first 100 miles of the iditarod... It certainly would have been tempting to toss some #6 from the old bunny blaster into a sign as ridiculous as that! Not that I condone that type of behaviour

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I CLAIM THE REX TRAIL... ALL OF IT! I also want the first 100 miles of the iditarod... It certainly would have been tempting to toss some #6 from the old bunny blaster into a sign as ridiculous as that! Not that I condone that type of behaviour
    Now are we talking about having issue with people posting signs along the "HIGHWAY" saying it is their trapping area, like the one AKtrpr came across, or are we talking about someone posting signs along a trail such as the REX TRAIL. Because the REX TRAIL from the Parks Highway to about half way between the Totatlanika and Tatlanika has been my families trapline since the early 70's, back when it used to be a TRAIL. Every couple years I have to replace my signs because some A-Hole feels they need to blast holes in them, probably the same guy who leaves all of his garbage back on the trail for me to pick up and haul out during the season.

I'll be 39 this year and for as long as I can remember road trapping has been a free for all. I know old timers who have been trapping the Parks Highway between Wasilla and Fairbanks for many years and they just accept that fact that others are trapping around them. I wonder how experienced the trappers who posted the signs AKtrpr came across are.

Ted
    Pass it on, take a child hunting, fishing or trapping.

That was tongue in cheek about the REX... I wouldn't have expected anyone to try and actually post a trap line along the trail itself Would you be mad if another trapper started a line off the Rex and up into the mountains? Are they encroaching on your line? Have you claimed the entire trail and all drainage's like these guy did?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by tjmeyer1 View Post
    Now are we talking about having issue with people posting signs along the "HIGHWAY" saying it is their trapping area, like the one AKtrpr came across, or are we talking about someone posting signs along a trail such as the REX TRAIL. Because the REX TRAIL from the Parks Highway to about half way between the Totatlanika and Tatlanika has been my families trapline since the early 70's, back when it used to be a TRAIL. Every couple years I have to replace my signs because some A-Hole feels they need to blast holes in them, probably the same guy who leaves all of his garbage back on the trail for me to pick up and haul out during the season.

I'll be 39 this year and for as long as I can remember road trapping has been a free for all. I know old timers who have been trapping the Parks Highway between Wasilla and Fairbanks for many years and they just accept that fact that others are trapping around them. I wonder how experienced the trappers who posted the signs AKtrpr came across are.

Ted

Well Ted

ACTUALLY the Rex trail till about half way to the power line is actually my drive and is posted as so...but you are only one of probably 6 or 7 on here that honestly KNOWS where the Rex really crosses the hwy
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    That was tongue in cheek about the REX... I wouldn't have expected anyone to try and actually post a trap line along the trail itself Would you be mad if another trapper started a line off the Rex and up into the mountains? Are they encroaching on your line? Have you claimed the entire trail and all drainage's like these guy did?
    I guess you answered my question Lujon, you are comparing my signs along a trapline line that has been established for a very long time, to someone posting signs along the roadway. Like I said, the trail has been posted as a trapline for about the last 50 years, if that surprises you then you haven't spent much time out there. To be honest, the majority of my sets are on the side trails that run off of the Rex up into the mountains, and out into the flats towards Nenana. Mainly due to the hunters and others who travel the trail, stealing fur and traps from sets that they see along the trail, it's a shame that I have to hide my sets from other "outdoorsmen". And for your information there are three other individuals who trap certain areas within my area, and have for many years. Before his untimely passing, Mike Pearson trapped from where I stop to back beyond the Tatlanika, and he too had signs posted stating such.

Your a funny guy Vince.

Quote Originally Posted by tjmeyer1 View Post
    .... Before his untimely passing, Mike Pearson trapped from where I stop to back beyond the Tatlanika, and he too had signs posted stating such.

tjmeyer1,

I have seen Mike Pearsons signs on the Rex along with some old sets. At first I was surprised that someone would trap the trail. Then I had the privilege of meeting Mike. Mid September 2006, I beleive. We were inchworming our way out the Rex with a moose and one of our two trackrigs disabled with seized tranny. Mike seemed like a great guy. He was on his way in with his boy or boys (not sure if they were both his, can't remember) He gave us his phone number, told us when he would be coming out. Said we could call him if we couldn't get the broke rig out. He would give us a hand after season.

After meeting Mike it was obvious he was good hearted and anyone that might grumble about him trapping the trail would probably drop their complaints to the side after meeting him in person.

We got out on our own and looked forward to running in to him again up there the next year but was saddened to hear he passed on. I think it was his brother that told us when we were on our way out @ the second river.

If Mike was a friend of yours, I am sorry for your loss.

Best of the outdoors,
    -AK4Life

Sorry guys --- everybody can get back on with the discussion now. I am done.

AK4Life,

Mr. Pearson was a very close friend of my fathers, and like an uncle to all of us who grew up in Anderson. In the span of a year we lost both him and my father. Since his passing I have heard MANY stories just like yours, of him lending a hand or offering assistance to those that needed it along the trail. He was Mayor of Anderson at the time of his passing, the community lost a real champion.

One thing to keep in mind, those of us that trap the Rex Trail began doing so when it was truly a "trail", not the wallowed out mess it is today.

Ted

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast