Thread: The Mercury Recoil Suppressor

Lightbulb The Mercury Recoil Suppressor

The Mercury Recoil Suppressor anybody have ? hows it work? i went to there web site.. really no pics ..there from what i can gather you bore a hole in the stock an insert? if i was to do a muzzle brake ,,,do this mercry thing,and a limb saver that would be sweet!
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

There are mostly just added weight and more weight equal less recoil.You will get much more bang for the buck with the other two options. I still have a couple rusted one laying around from trap shooting days and they didn't realy do much more than what adding 6 oz. of lead would do.If you instal one and don't like it because it unbalances your gun when you remove it the guns balance will still be different because of the wood you removed to install it.They are really make for shotguns with through bolts holding on the stock and all ready have the hole drilled.

I've never tried it and likely won't. But here's how I see it.

Mercury is a liquid metal that has about the same density as lead. So you can get a lot of weight in a small space. Since it's a liquid when you fire, the recoil energy will act on the liquid which will resist being moved due to it's heavy mass. This in theory will cause a delay in the felt recoil. Essentially you are spreading the recoil out over a longer period of time making it feel less at any given moment. However, there is a flip side to this. Once you have the liquid mass moving and have transferred energy to it how do you stop it? After the shot the continued movement of the mercury will cause the balance and feel of the rifle to change as it flops back and forth. Perhaps enough to affect the ability to get in a quick follow up shot. There is no free lunch and energy can't be eliminated, just redirected.

The ones I've seen cut open are a steel tube with a spring on one end inside filled with heavy fluid and a heavy ball that may be a ball bearing or filled with quick silver.

Default My benelli nova had one

I sold the gun with and got the new super nova. I am not much of a shooter so didn't really compare with and without. Although with it did help I beleive. The mercury tube is almost completly full. The mercury would jiggle in side when shaking it. Not so much as to throw the balance off. It would stop almost instantly when I quit shaking it. So yes they are effective but add weight like stated. I seen some online somewhere for rifles that drilled and fit in. Different weights. My benelli had a 14oz reducer in it that I installed. Was very simple. Hole was already made for it. Cut a piece of hose that came in the kit and to make it fit tight with whatever model and screw in the bracket to hold it and it was done.

I shot a new benelli super nova a when they came out and loved it. The new stock design took care of the recoil better than the mercury reducer. Like the gun and how it fit so sold my old one.

Maybe try a limb saver or something before going to the expense of mercury reducer. At the time mine was $90 or so. When I sold the gun they were going for $200 I was told. Then with a rifle it will need drilled and what not glued in, so that will be an expense.

It will work, just not sure how well in a rifle. Sportsmans use to sell them for the benelli's, if they still do you can get hands and see how it feels and reacts.