Thread: Cycles: weather, and game

Default Cycles: weather, and game

While looking through the reports, I noticed a trend of cycles. One of the reasons of the crash in the late 60's and early 70's was over harvest of cows and weather combined. If you were to look at the reports you can see where the weather plays a big part in the whole scheme of things. I guess what I'm saying we are just repeating this prosess with the mild winters we have had recently. The moose have been able to get the food and survive. In the last couple of winters it has been going back to the colder, more snow, ( and all it would take is a couple more feet of snow and this would be a repeat.) years. Your thoughts? E.S.

Smile

Well down on the Kenai weather makes a big difference in moose harvest as huge snows starve moose and also gets them killed on the roads. Milder winters leave a lot more moose to hunt so hunting will be better the milder the Winter. I dont think the moose have had a tough Winter down here for a while. Cold weather doesnt effect animals but the snow depth does and there have been some snowy Winters recently with deer kills in Southeast and Kodiak. I know weather has weird effects on sheep besides the snow in Winter cause Summer effects them also. I hunted in the interior in a recent dry Summer and all the grass was dead and yellow and the sheep were gone from the area (hopefully they found some grass). The tundra was all dry and dusty. I bet that was bad news for the sheep that Winter. I know last Summer was really wet and rainy which sucked for us but I bet the sheep had tons of green grass and loved it!
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    While looking through the reports, I noticed a trend of cycles. One of the reasons of the crash in the late 60's and early 70's was over harvest of cows and weather combined. If you were to look at the reports you can see where the weather plays a big part in the whole scheme of things. I guess what I'm saying we are just repeating this prosess with the mild winters we have had recently. The moose have been able to get the food and survive. In the last couple of winters it has been going back to the colder, more snow, ( and all it would take is a couple more feet of snow and this would be a repeat.) years. Your thoughts? E.S.
    I think this is flawed logic. I can't see where having too many moose fighting over a limited amount of brows during a bad winter would be a better solution. If the moose have to struggle through the deep snow further in search of food then they will burn more calories! It sounds to me like the cow hunts came too late to save the browse which is exactly what they are attempting to avoid this time around.