Thread: Prices

Default Prices

Barring a new tax on ammo, what does everybody forsee in compenent pricing over the next year? My take is that they should drop significantly. I would think military demand is dropping, commodity prices of copper and lead have dropped significantly, but demand may be up among non-military users (that may last only a short while). So, barring new military action or new taxes, what is going to keep the price up?
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Default fear and greed

are the two main ingredients for prices not dropping much in the coming year. Fear that banning will literally make components rare or impossible to get and ultimately the closing of manufacturers and the old profit margin. No one wants to lower the profit level once it attains a higher figure. It is also why prices on firearms that have become potential prey for anti-gun agendas have gone up, except with those manufacturers and vendors who actually have our and the country's interests at heart.

Default supply & demand

I agree, I think we will see component prices dropping in the first quarter for the same reasons you stated. With money tighter and overall economy down spending on shooting and reloading I assume is off too.

I was just thinking the other day that we are seeing more sales and discounts from the shooting and reloading supply vendors than normal at this time of year, is that just my imagination, or are they trying to stir up some business?

Hopefully the powder and primer supply will get better and soon! I need to restock and I am also itching to try the new RL17.
    Last edited by Ozarks; 12-06-2008 at 16:30. Reason: added last paragraph

I think just the opposite is going to happen.

With the upcoming administration in the white house, gun sales (and ammo too) will continue to stay high for at least his first year. Also, because that economy is in the dumps, more people will go to reloading than buying stock stuff of the shelf. I could be wrong, and I hope that I am, thats just the way I see things going.

Also, dont forget about Iran, I dont think military action will be dropping anytime soon even if we do get out of Iraq in the next few years. Again, I hope I am wrong.

As long as we maintain the presence in the Middle East, the military demand factor will remain high due to the naturally high tempo of operations and preparation of the military in such times, regardless of how stable the region may be. If there is any further military action in the Middle East - Israel against Iran, and therefore the U.S. in turn - expect the military demand to rise in that case.

Even if there is no significant anti-gun legislation, I expect the demand on ammo, components, and likely-targeted firearms to last into the second quarter. Current demand isn't being satisfied and I think it's high enough to extend well into next year. I have firearms backordered from 7 months ago with expectation of months more waiting. If there is an anti-gun push...the current demand will last indefinitely.

Frankly, I think rapid stock-piling, while a necessity for some, is the wrong goal for us in the long run. Don't misread that statement...if you aren't stocked, do it now to the best of your ability and as supply allows.

But the better lesson to learn is to be well-stocked at ALL times in ALL your necessities - reloading supplies, gas, bulk foods, etc - as a self-reliant person, not just when things may look grim.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronster View Post
    I think just the opposite is going to happen.

With the upcoming administration in the white house, gun sales (and ammo too) will continue to stay high for at least his first year. Also, because that economy is in the dumps, more people will go to reloading than buying stock stuff of the shelf. I could be wrong, and I hope that I am, thats just the way I see things going.

Also, dont forget about Iran, I dont think military action will be dropping anytime soon even if we do get out of Iraq in the next few years. Again, I hope I am wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by martialcanine.45 View Post
    Frankly, I think rapid stock-piling, while a necessity for some, is the wrong goal for us in the long run. Don't misread that statement...if you aren't stocked, do it now to the best of your ability and as supply allows.

But the better lesson to learn is to be well-stocked at ALL times in ALL your necessities - reloading supplies, gas, bulk foods, etc - as a self-reliant person, not just when things may look grim.
    Very well said.

Default Raw material prices and energy

Prices for copper, lead, and zinc are all a fraction of what they were a year ago. Copper is down from $3.60+ to less than $1.30, lead is down from around $2.00 to less than $.50, etc. Energy prices and wages are also down. The price of ammunition will eventually follow.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK