Thread: .480 ruger??

Default .480 ruger??

Hey, I am a bit out of the loop. I thought I read somewhere that they are not making the 480 Ruger anymore? Do they not make the pistols or the ammo or both?? It seems like a great round, but am I too late to get one, and if I do, will I be able to get rounds for it? I don't handload (yet). Thanks for any help.

Ruger is no longer producing the .480, but there are some available, you just have to look hard. Find yourself a licensed dealer and they should be able to order you one.

Currently, ammo is still being produced.

Default Any ideas?

Thanks King--anyone have any ideas on where to start the search?

Default Gunrunners in Anchorage

got me mine this year. Check with them at 1-907-245-5486. They're good to deal with.

Default ammo

480 ammo seems to be as available as 454 casull. I went to get casull ammo from sportsmans and only saw 480 with empty slots for 454. Mountainview sports had both available. I don't think ammo is a problem.

I think Magnum Research still supports the .480 cartridge with their BFR. There are factory loads that are still available in .480 hardcasts, too.

Sad to see that Ruger stopped making 'em. I think it would have helped if some had developed a cheaper, reduced power cartridge for it. Nevermind that the .480's already a "special" .475 linebaugh.
    Tsimshian tribe, wolf clan, the house of Walsk.

Legacy Arms just started to import large numbers of lever action carbine rifles in 480, for the cowboy shooting folks. The ammo should be common for some time.

Andy

I really wanted a .480 Ruger earlier this year. I have other Rugers and am very happy with them. Just before I was to purchase my handgun Ruger discontinued the .480. This gave me pause as I didn't want something that might become a "Once Was Gun". I went with the .460 S&W although I am a Ruger guy. I am pleased with my purchase. Sure it isn't a Ruger but is still a very good handgun and much more versatile than the .480.

Dan

Well I wonder how long before Ruger builds something that will chamber the S&W 460 & 500 Mags. Call it the Ruger X-Hawk, or Monster Hawk. I for one would not be surprised if it's already in the works.

Andy

AD I expect you are probably right. Ruger put a lot into developing the .480 and then discontinued for some reason. It really didn't make much sense to me when they discontinued as it seemed to be popular enough. Perhaps that was before the .460 and .500 came along and these two must have been the demise of the .480. For sure S&W promoted these a lot where I didn't see that kind of promotion from Ruger.

Dan

Well...I thought the .480 looked like a pretty good round. There were some tales going around about sticky cases. Ruger claimed to have the solution and that was to make it a 5 shot. There seemed to be many of us waiting for the 5 shot .480's to come out. Ruger said no.

Santa is going to bring me a .500 S&W. Bigger hole and more bullet weight. It weighs 2 oz. more that the .480. I think I can loose that much off my tummy to keep things in balance..

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields;
    Well I wonder how long before Ruger builds something that will chamber the S&W 460 & 500 Mags. Call it the Ruger X-Hawk, or Monster Hawk. I for one would not be surprised if it's already in the works.

Andy
    Andy,

I have been suggesting such a revolver on various threads for almost a year. I imagined a cartridge 1/10 inch or so longer than the .500 S&W and I dubbed it the "500 Bill" in homor of Bill Ruger. Do we think we should start a write-in campaign to Ruger?

Lost Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardC View Post
    I think I can loose that much off my tummy to keep things in balance..
    So you gonna pack an X frame down the back of your britches?

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Sheep View Post
    Andy,

I have been suggesting such a revolver on various threads for almost a year. I imagined a cartridge 1/10 inch or so longer than the .500 S&W and I dubbed it the "500 Bill" in homor of Bill Ruger. Do we think we should start a write-in campaign to Ruger?

Lost Sheep
    I will drop them an email, surly they have considered it don't ya think?

How about the "Wild Bill"

Andy

Default .480

I don't think the .480 filled any kind of hole did it ? The .44 and .454 cover alot of ground .

Quote Originally Posted by logman View Post
    I don't think the .480 filled any kind of hole did it ? The .44 and .454 cover alot of ground .
    I never considered it. When it came out I kinda thought to myself, interesting, but why? When the 454 started to get press and looked like ammo would be around most shops I thought, about time. Don't know why but thats what came to my mind.

Andy

Default Hole? More of a niche, really

Quote Originally Posted by logman View Post
    Logman,

The 480 has a rather narrow niche it fills, but it fills it rather well.

The 480 has a lot more power than the 44 Mag and it throws a substatially larger bullet than the 44 (23.5%) and somewhat larger than the .454 or 45 Colt (9.5%), though at a (reported) 20% lower energy level it is reported to be a LOT more controllable than the 454.

It is less powerful than the 475 Linebaugh (which uses the exact same bullets), but I know of no 475 Linebaughs in double action.

So, substantially more controllable than the 454, much more energy, mass and frontal area than the 44 (or hot loaded 45 Colt/.454 Casull) and double action not available with the 475 Linebaugh. This is a niche which only one other gun fills, the 500 S&W with less than maximum loads. Granted, the S&W at the bottom end of its capabilities fills the 480's niche, and goes up in energy, frontal area and bullet weight substantially from there. However, the S&W costs nearly twice as much to buy and to shoot.

So, I think the 480 has a place.

But the gun market can be capricious. The .41 Magnum (the "Forgotten Magnum") fills a niche, too. Shoots flatter than the .44 magnum with equally as much energy at the muzzle and carries that energy out to longer distances, too. It can be chambered in equal-strength but lighter guns than the 44. But lack of a .41 Special cartridge and lack of publicity in the shadow of the larger diameter 44 (429 vs 410, about 9.5%).

If "Dirty" Harry Callahan had carried a Model 28 instead of the Model 29, things would be different. Remember, he did not shoot 44 mag bullets in the original two movies, but "light special loads" as he stated in Magnum Force because it gave him "better accuracy and control in a gun this size".

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    I never considered it. When it came out I kinda thought to myself, interesting, but why? When the 454 started to get press and looked like ammo would be around most shops I thought, about time. Don't know why but thats what came to my mind.

Andy
    Andy, The 480 is a relative newcomer. The 454 was developed in 1957 by Dick Casull and Jack Fulmer. It was first announced in November 1959 by Guns and Ammo magazine (souce: Wikipedia) and widely known and used since the mid seventies.

Lost Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Sheep View Post
    Logman,

Andy, The 480 is a relative newcomer. The 454 was developed in 1957 by Dick Casull and Jack Fulmer. It was first announced in November 1959 by Guns and Ammo magazine (souce: Wikipedia) and widely known and used since the mid seventies.

Lost Sheep
    Yup, I know, but it was kinda of a wildcat round till the 90's. Thats when everyone knew it was around and you no longer needed a custom gun to shoot it. My Dad had the magazine, in fact he had all the G&A mags from the mid 50's on tail 5-1-00 when the house burned down.

Andy

Default 480 is capable

Though the .44 mag has been my choice for yoears, a while back I went with the 480 Ruger. I tried several 454 Casulls and, for me, they are a handful. I have nothing to prove to myself or anybody else these days, so if a cartridge.gun combo doesn't feel good to me, I drop it. But, the 480 ruger, for the heavy large diameter slug it can capably handle, is a very potent performer.
    Yes, the 500 is a larger, and, heavier slug, especially with Ranger Rick's stupendous 700 grain dinosaur killing slug, but the 480 with a 400 grain slug at 1100 to 1200 fps, with well placed shots at fair range is capable of taking anything. You can talk about size comparisons of bllet diameter, but it doesn't always figure in a linear way. I was rebuked a while back when I stated that the .44 mag was capable of anything the larger rounds were at the same ranges, but I was wrong. My 480 Ruger is easy to load, accurate and easier to control. I had a mould made by NEI and had Ranger Rick cast me up 500 of the 435 grain plain base bullets from it. May sound a bit off-handed, but just looking at these big puppies, I know what they can do if I do my share.
    I think the 480 Ruger does more then fill a narrow niche and am sorry it lost market shares. The rims on some brands of brass touched in the six shot and that is why they went to a 5 shot, changing the uniqueness of the gun, a six round heavy caliber firearm, the only production model so set up. The 325 grain bullet load in the initial factory loads diminished the capability of the cartridge. They should have started with a 360-375 grain round, in my opinion. I am sorry the 480 is out of production by Ruger.