Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Left Handed

Default Left Handed

I was just wondering what some of yall's favorite left handed, large caliber rifles were, and why.

Other than the standard 06, 300 WM, etc we like the same thing right handed guys do. We just have to pay through the nose to get em made!
    Tennessee

Well said Randy...we sure do pay more and have far fewer options.

All too often I walk into a gun store with racks and racks of rifles all around me (this was before the recent election), only to find a special section designated just for us...and sadly there are just three or four rifles in that designated rack...usually in calibers, models, and manufacturers that I don't want and wouldn't own. One bright spot is that I really do appreciate the rifles that I have obtained over the years, and most all have been customized over time after I purchased them.

Oh yea, back to grp's question...my left-handed favorite centerfire rifles are Browning, Remington and Tikka in calibers that include 22-250, 257 Weatherby, 30-06 and .375 H&H. Why those choices...because that's what I could find before my left-handed shooting brothers got there first, and that's what I was willing to pay without a serious bend-over.

I am a disabled left handed shooter and just found a nice lightweight browning A-bolt SS LH .338 and its very smooth and easy to carry

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

A left-hander here as well, but I own only right-handed rifles in the pretty common calibers of 45-70, 7.62x51, 5.56x45, and 22LR, on a Marlin, DPMS AR x 2, and Rossi/Marlin respectively. I shoot well with both my left and right using right-handed rifles.

The extra dime, time, and lack of uniformity with most other rifles out there is a big disincentive for me to pursue left-handed arms. If I ever come across one, it will be easy to use from the get-go, but in the meantime, I'm mainstream. Oh, the shame.

I did recently luck out though, Buds Guns (online dealer) had a couple of left hand stainless Rugers in 375 Ruger for sale and I snatched one up.
    The interesting thing about this rifle is it not a cataloged Ruger item.
    It is left hand, stainless, black laminated stock, 23 inch barrel, but no iron sights. Best part is it cost approximately $660 delivered.
    Tennessee

Glad to hear you picked up one of those Rugers Snowolfe, it was just about twenty four hours after I called the Montana Rifle Company and ordered a Stainless Left hand short action barreled in .325 WSM with a #3 Contour Barrel that I saw those Rugers and thought,....... well...great. Now I have to order another gun!!!!! I grew up shooting Model 95 and Model 71 Winchesters and have a marlin 45-70, only own two left handed bolt actions a Remington 700 in 7 mag and one in .338 wm. They've been good guns but with a 26' barrel, iron sights, wood stock, plus the scope you're looking at what seems like packing around an old M1. Had to order something due to lack of factory options. Not much available in lightweight, stainless left hand bolt guns, unless you like the Tikka or Browning. They both have their following, I for one, don't own either. Hopefully the .375 Ruger coming out in left hand is a start of things, sure would like to see the .338 and .300 RCM's and the .375 Ruger come out in 20' stainless left handed. All we can do is wish and wait.

I have given up on factory left handed rifles. I have been fortunate enough to pick up some semi custom rifles over the past few years.
    You will love the MRC 1999. I have several ranging from a 22-250 AI to 338-06. All of them are more accurate than I can shoot.

MRC's are nice. I have a lefty 458 Lott and 35 Whelen, both in stainless and planted in McMilan stocks.
    I just ordered a short action righty for my wife to be made into a .308.
    Tennessee

I'm very excited about the MRC. Actually spent this season shooting a Kimber Montana in .325 WSM and love the gun but figured it was the time to order the "correct" gun for me. I like the three position safety and the CRF. Seems like MRC is offering a good product backed with good service. I decided to go with a Lone Wolf Summit stock in the granite green and having the action done in a dark tungston color at Falcon Coatings. All of the people I've delt with at these companies are great to talk to, very helpful and knowlegable, even willing do deal with change orders and neurotic, indecisive customers like myself! Figured I'd sort of go all out and have it coated even though it's stainless. Living here in the swamps of SE AK, seems like lots of the newer stainless guns are more prone to corrosion than the older ones. Have buddies packing 15 year old stainless Rugers that get the snot beat out of them and the finish is still good. Anyway, thanks for the input about MRC guys. Nice to hear from other people out there like me!! Later, R.

Default lefty

I have only 2 left handed weapons: Benelli 12 ga shotgun 16 years old with less than a box of shells thru it, and a 7 mag, same age and sorry to say--never fired. I am still looking for a deflector for my M1a and mini 14-----they just can`t be found!

Another lefty here. This summer I wanted a Tikka T3 in 338 Federal, lefty of course, but after waiting for months for my order to arrive I settled on a Marlin 45-70. In the past year nothing ticks me off more than buying a right handed bolt action rifle for myself.

I wouldn't bought the 375 Ruger over the 45-70 in a heart beat if I knew there were a few in lefty.

Default Southpaw Affliction

Until 2007, I hunted with a left handed Browning A-Bolt in .338 WM. It is a real tack driver, but I hated the 26" barrel. Could never bring myself to cut it down, so I went with a Browning BLR in 2007. But, if Sako were to make it in a left hand version, I would buy a Kodiak.

My only bolt action large caliber rifle is a Sako 375 H&H that has served me well, taking care of a variety of animals. Mostly though I have favored lever action rifles, like the 300 Savage 99 that was given to me by my grandfather. Like others have noted Left hand bolts are too few and too expensive and dont sell well later.

Default Deflector Needed?

Dipnet; Do you get hit with brass? I shoot LH an Armscorp M14 style and have never been hit with brass. (Well, when on the line I catch brass from the guy next to me right in the chest!) You might talk with someone who is good with them and either have the ejector "tuned" a bit or try different loads. I also have an older SS Mini14...don't shoot it much...and can't remember being hit with its brass. Is yours the ranch?

Just buy a left hand Stag Arms AR and the problem is solved. Great little rifles.
    Tennessee

The LH Stags are an interesting gun. Do you have one? Did you shoot the RH AR before? Did you notice a huge increase in your performance after going to the Stag? I never noticed a problem shooting the RH units.

Default My lefty choices

For me the best are the top eject Winchester 94 Big Bores. I have two in .375 Winchester (Heavy wide-meplat cast bullets). I also favor the Ruger Number 1 in .45-70. Shotguns it's SxS's now but I have used Ithaca M-37's and Browning BPS's.
    Just picked up an MSAR STG-556 and should have the left-handed bolt face this week (I hope).
    Handguns-mostly revolvers single and double action, but the Browning High-Power fits my hand so well that it will always be with me.

Ed

I've got several lefties: a Browning T-Bolt Grade I bought many years ago, a Remmie 788 in 6mm Remington, a Savage .25-06 and 7mm Rem Mag, a Ruger 77 Mark II in 7mm Reg Mag, and recently a Tikka T3 Lite in .30-06 that is truly a joy to carry. I've also put left-hand safeties in a Remmie 760, 7600, and Model 1100. I also picked up a Tikka 595 Whitetail Hunter in .223.

Default Lefty T-Bolt Sweet

Natty Bumpo:

I have always wanted a lefty T-bolt. If you run across a good deal on one somewhere please keep a fellow in his right mind in your thoughts, after you've got all you need of course!

Ed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast