Thread: Thoughts

Default Thoughts

I just "stole" a pair of 4-wheelers from a guy...A 2006 Honda 500ES: warn/windshield/gun boot/soft rack bags/ITP mud lites & a 2006 Artic Cat 400 (Manual) decked out the same as the Honda. Both were on a steel tilt snowmachine trailer.

My problem is this...I grew up on Honda's in Minnesota...But, I drove the Cat alot the last couple days and now I can't decide which one to keep!

I'm looking for the good and the bad of Arctic Cats...Let me know what you think.

I had some 06 Cats ,Bought them new sold them both 4 weeks later ,The reason is the heat sheild or lack of keep melting rain gear and rubber boots. Switched to Yamahas and never looked back.
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Only reason I say shake the Cat would be that it is a 400. A buddy of mine bought a 400 Arctic Cat and was disappointed with the low-end grunt (and ESPECIALLY in reverse) and doesn't even ride it anymore. You'll be much happier with the larger motor, IMO.

I had some 06 Cats ,Bought them new sold them both 4 weeks later ,The reason is the heat sheild or lack of keep melting rain gear and rubber boots.
    They fixed that in '07, but yes that was a big problem for them. Hunt_ak, your buddy knows about the reverse override button to keep it from stuttering, right?

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Hunt_ak, your buddy knows about the reverse override button to keep it from stuttering, right?
    I imagine so, but I'll ask. He did think it was a bit underpowered overall though. Have you had any experience with the AC 400's?

I do ride an AC 400 manual in the '06 version with mudlites. I am completely happy with the machine. I do admit tho it does lack power in reverse however going forward no matter what I do I can spin all 4 wheels and dig myself a hole with it so I have plenty of power. If you want top end then yes it is lacking however on the trials I ride 10 mph is bout the top speed. Italso starts very well for me even at 30 below. I use my machine as a work horse here and it the only way I have of plowing snow. If you have questions please feel free to ask and I will do my best to give you a answer.

I've got an '07 AC 400 manual. Mine does have the heat shields, and I can see how it might be a problem if you didn't have them. The ONLY major complaint I have heard regarding the AC 400 is that it doesn't have low range or a reverse override when you put it in reverse. You have to go up to a 500 for that. However, I've ridden mine hard for the past 2 years bear, caribou, and moose hunting in everything from mud to ridgelines, and haven't had an issue with it. My buddy has a Polaris 500 HO, and I can do everything he does while using less gas than him. Some of that could be individual riding style, but the bottom line is I have yet to feel limited by the fact that I am riding a 400. I haven't ridden Hondas much in the last few years, but I can tell you that I'd never go back to a machine without independent suspension. The ride is so much better that you won't believe it until you spend a day trying it out. I also use mine for plowing snow, and it works great for that, too.