Thread: Any recipes for 338 win mag and 45 colt?

Default Any recipes for 338 win mag and 45 colt?

Hey Guys,

I am new to this website and new to reloading. Just bought a RCBS kit and I am itching to build some rounds. Looking at my Speer reloading manual I see many combinations of powders and bullets. It would be good to narrow the selections down some, I will be hunting moose and maybe bear with a Weatherby Vanguard .338 win mag 24" barrel.

Also, would like to make some 45 colt rounds to use in my Ruger Redhawk .454 Casull but that ammo will only be for the range.

Thanks for any help

76 grains of 4130 pushing 210 grain nosler partitions.
    Paul

H4350 for the 338 and H4227 for the 45.

Let's make a 338 a 338 and shoot 250 grain bullets, Nosler partition or Swift Aframe. The Colt will like about 20 grains of H4227 and any hard cast bullet from 250 to 300 grains.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I certainly appreciate the replies!

I am headed to Sportsmans to hopefully buy some powder!

Do you guys know anyone else who sells powder in the valley?

Thanks

Good luck finding powder at Sportsmans in the Valley. I am still on the waiting list for 4 different powders. Same for the primers.
    I use W296 behind 335gr. LBT's in my 45. I will have to unpack my reloading stuff to get you the exact load.

Thanks for the info MMcLaughlin.

No hurry on the exact powder load as I could not find any of the Hodgdon powder at Sportman's or Chimo's that I was looking for and I doubt they had any W296. Bad to Worse, I was told by a Sportman's employee that all the power is going up $8 bucks per pound.

my rifle likes the 210's thats why my choice.
    Paul

I have a 7.5" plain Redhawk (ie, not a Super Redhawk) in .45 Colt, and for plinker loads I like 8 grains of 231 with a 280 grain SWC (RCBS 45-270-SAA). For midrange I really like 11 grains of Alliant Power Pistol with the same bullet, and that's probably the load I shoot most of. 10 grains of Unique under a 250 grain bullet is also a good load that John Taffin recommends often, and is close to my Power Pistol load for velocity. For hotter stuff I typically do 26 grains of 296, again with the same bullet. The load using 231 feels really soft when fired from that big Redhawk, but my chronograph says it averages about 850 fps.

I only just started loading for .338, so I'll just defer to the others on that one.

Mike

70.5 gn H4350 with 215 sierra's or 210 noslers.
    68.0 gn H4350 with 250 sierra's

Those are both a little over book loads, but my rifle seems to like them (ave 1.25" 5 shot groups with both) with no adverse pressure indications.

Thanks to all that posted 338 wm and 45 colt recipes. When I am able to buy some powder and bullets I will give them a try.

I found a website that some may be interested in (or already know of):

http://www.loadswap.com

They have over 2200 load recipes for a bazillian calibers, that reminds me of a joke:

A Blonde is watching the news with her husband when the
    > newscaster says:
    > "Two Brazilian men die in a skydiving accident."
    >
    > The blonde starts crying to her husband, sobbing
    > "That's horrible with
    > so many
    > men dying that way!"
    >
    > Confused, he says, "Yes dear, it is sad, but they were
    > skydiving, and when
    > you
    > are skydiving, there is always that risk involved."
    >
    > After a few minutes, the blonde, still sobbing, says,
    > "How many is a
    > Brazilian anyway?

71g IMR 4350, Fed 215 primers, 2.494" trim length, MAX OAL, Nosler Partition 225 grainers. 2885fps and 1" all day long @ 100. sub 3" @ 300. Winchester Nickle Plated cases.

74g RL22 Fed 215's 225 NOS partitions @ 2745fps sub 1" @ 100 (72 grains powder shot well too @ 2650fps)

I've got load data on the 200grn Nos BT's and the 250 partitions if you're interested.

these should give you a decent start along with everyone else's pet loads on here.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

67 grains of H4350 and 250 grain Hornady Round Nose Boolit.

Smiddie uv thuh Nawrth
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.