Thread: Polaris ATV Starter??

Question Polaris ATV Starter??

I have an 05 Sportsman 500 with a bad starter. I have been to several Polaris dealers and they all want about $350 for the starter and $300 - $400 for labor. Needless to say $700 is a little out of my budget. I found several new starters on e-bay for about $80. The problem I have is the installation. One of the 2 bolts for the starter is behind the frame. Polaris told me that I have to lift the motor to get to the bolts. Has anyone had to mess with a Polaris starter? Any suggestions, ideas, etc.

I've got the full shop manual for an '04 Sportsman 500 6x6 if you want to take a look? I am pretty sure the engine compartment is very similar to your machine so it might give you some insight.

I live in Wasilla so shoot me a message if you want to get together.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by akdream View Post
    I have an 05 Sportsman 500 with a bad starter. I have been to several Polaris dealers and they all want about $350 for the starter and $300 - $400 for labor. Needless to say $700 is a little out of my budget. I found several new starters on e-bay for about $80. The problem I have is the installation. One of the 2 bolts for the starter is behind the frame. Polaris told me that I have to lift the motor to get to the bolts. Has anyone had to mess with a Polaris starter? Any suggestions, ideas, etc.
    I have an 07 450 sportsman , I had to replace the starter on it 3 times the first 2 it was covered under warranty. They said they put a new one in there but I engraved a few letters to see if they did and they "DID NOT " just rebuilt it......Anyway Sorry for the Rant I'm still P@#@#@. I hate Polaris. Anyway I bought the one of ebay for $80 it worked for about a week then quit I emailed the guy I bought it from and h sent me a new one.
    Is you starter on top of the engine on the left side if your sitting on it ? I know I did not have to lift the engine but it was a little bugger to get out.
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Most issues I've seen with Polaris starters are just the one way over running clutch on the end. the motors spin they just wont engage. That part is cheaper on ebay but make sure you purchase quality.

Default Thanks for the insite

I am sure it is the starter that is dead. You can hear the solenoid 'clicking' when you tour the key. There is power to the starter. For a while if I tapped the starter with a hammer (on the bendix side) it would fire up, now nothing. I initially thought it was the bendix so that was replaced as was the bendix. The starter is on the left side of the motor. 1 bolt is directly behind the frame, there is less than a 1/2 inch between the bolt and frame.

I have had to replace a starter (rebuild) not a difficult task parts are avaiable here http://www.mfgsupply.com/ATV.html you can get either a starter or a rebuild kit.

I just put a rebuild kit on my 99 Big Boss last weekend. No big problems. Did not have to lift the motor.

Default heck they got starters

I had no idea that Polaris had progressed to the point that they are actually putting starters on them things now.

they are kind of hard to push start once you get in to the 500 cc size machines