Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Monitoring fuel flow?

Default Monitoring fuel flow?

I am thinking about adding a fuel monitoring device on my riverboat, 20 foot w/ 2004 140 Johnson 4 Stroke outboard.

What works? anyone have any experience with: Floscan, Navman or Lowrance? others?
    I dont need a tach or any engine monitoring.
    Thanks

I have never owned a boat that has used anything other than the yamaha FM systems, but was on a boat with the navman and have to say that I was impressed with the acurracy. It was always dead on. Hard to beat for under $200.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

We have a FloScan on our boat and no complaints so far. It was an easy install and is easy to read/operate.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I run a lowrance 520c chartplotter and sonar. I added a fuel flow meter to my system and now have all the info i need for gph, mpg, which is extremely handy for dialing in the most fuel efficienct rpm. You can customize the info you want to display. You can put up all the above plus remaining fuel, range at your current fuel usage, and afew other pc.s of handy info. The gps unit and sonar cost about $600. The fuel flow meter plumbs in the fuel line and cost $60. The original flow meters had some problems but i think they fixed 'em with the new 60 series flowmeters. Also you can recalibrate if they are off, simple procedure. It sure takes the guess work out of how much fuel i have left and i really like dialing in the right rpm for the load i have on that day. Saves me lots of fuel. Just my opinion, hope it helps.

Default flow meter

I used to run a FloScan and it always worked well. I've since re-powered with a fuel injected motor and have heard about a fuel flow monitor that is just plug and play but can't find one yet. New motor is a bfi vortec 350 if anyone has any info? I know FloScan makes a meter that plums in with sensors in the feed and return lines but thats more stuff to go wrong.

Thanks for the info guys, we are planning a long trip next year and fuel usage is an important part, knowing how much to take, and if we need to buy some along the way.
    I know I can figure this out w/ some testing but am intriuged w/ having a "real time" gauge.
    I already have a GPS and from what I have read it can be connected to these gauges thru a "NEMA" connection, I even have such a connection on my Rino GPS.
    It appears all of Floscan's Gauges are analog? Seems to me digital would be better? What are your opinions?

Got a Floscan installed when I put the boat up for winter, it is digital, it replaced the tach without any hole mods. Haven't used it yet, but it looks like it will be pretty cool next summer, can't wait to see how it does.

I have had a Navman for about 5 years. Hooked up to my Garmin GPS is shows gallons per hour, mpg, estimated distance left on remaining fuel, etc. Did have to send it in last winter for repairs, but overall I like it. Have heard good things about Flowscan, too.

Default Floscan

I installed a Floscan on the R.O.W. last year. I need to calibrate it and still haven't taken the time to do so. At times I will show 60 gallons burned. Then at the pump can dump 70 gallons in her. Another time I might get 62 gallons in.
    Part of the problem is if one of my buddies handles the pump, I think they quit the first time the vent burps. I can almost always get another few gallons in. If I fill her up to the nuts before and after, it is usually within a few gallons of actual consumption.
    One trip I burned 96 gallons out of 120 on board. I then pumped 93 gallons into the tanks. I am still learning the meter and hope to find my manual this spring and get the calibration down pat.
    I do like the meter if for only the ability to see when she is gulping gas like a pig.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

I too have a Floscan and it is digital and connected to Garmin Gps via old NEMA. Marine Power 8.1L with fuel return. Took about 3hrs to install. Very accurate! Gives MPG & GPM. Second boat I've had one on and wouldn't want to be without it.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Default Filter it!!

Make sure to follow the installation instructions. I had a buddy that did not put a filter ahead of the fuel flow meter We had to remove the line and blow into it to clear it three times on on trip. On a side note I was able to blow up to 40GPH
    It was a Navman and seemed to work fine.

Chuck

Thanks guys, lots of good info, is there a dealer for Navman in Anchorage?

Default Northstar F210

I bought one here last year for me and one for my buddy this year from these guys

http://www.boatersland.com/f210.html

Works very good, accurate and would not leave home with out it.
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

Default only $110.00?

Is that all it takes? 110 bucks and hook it up?
    I cant tell from the ad, is the transducer included?

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Kings View Post
    I bought one here last year for me and one for my buddy this year from these guys

Works very good, accurate and would not leave home with out it.

They are on sale now

Here are the instructions

www.busse-yachtshop.de/pdf/northstar-fuel-f210.pdf

Every thing comes with it ready to install. I had a 2" plug so I didn't have to cut a hole in the dash, run the wires, cut the fuel line after your fitler, install transducer, wire to hot lead and ready to go. I didn't have to calibrate mine as it was right on. It actually shows about 1 to .5 galls extra used for every 20 gallons burned. I prefer that to have some error towards the safety side.

I set my total gallons at each fill and use it to monitor my usage and more important I can run my RPM and speed for best ecomomy.
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

About $440 at this site. I didn't check other sites for prices. Navman is now Northstar. If you can spare the bucks, then I believe that you'll find it worth the price.

http://www.jmsonline.net/NORTHSTAR-F...U-NS003351.htm

I will have to call Lowrance and Northstar, hopefully what they offer will work.
    I talked to Floscan today and apparently the Johnson (Suzuki) 4S has a dual fuel pump and their system will not work.
    Unless someone on here has hooked one up and made it work on a Johnson.????

I have no experience hooking up a fuel flow meter to an outboard, but am surprised the flowscan wouldn't work. On my stern drive, the metering device (transducer? I forgot the name) goes inline between my fuel tank and my engine. To be specific, it goes in the flexible fuel line that runs between my fuel tank and my main fuel filter (I also have a filter that's before the transducer). But maybe a flowscan and Northstar aren't installed the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    I have no experience hooking up a fuel flow meter to an outboard, but am surprised the flowscan wouldn't work. On my stern drive, the metering device (transducer? I forgot the name) goes inline between my fuel tank and my engine. To be specific, it goes in the flexible fuel line that runs between my fuel tank and my main fuel filter (I also have a filter that's before the transducer). But maybe a flowscan and Northstar aren't installed the same way.

I didnt get into the specifcis w/ the Floscan guy, other than the the dual fuel pumps create pulses? in the fuel system that the sensor can not deal with?
    I spoke to Lowrance after being on hold fro an ungodly lenght of time, I perused their website extensively looking for answers first.
    Anyway they say thier guage and inline fuel sensor will work, they couldnt tell me why theres would and floscans dont? Prive is very reasonable at about 120-150 bucks.
    If it had a NEMA 2000 connection it would plug and play from the motors ECM and not require a sensor. Apparently Lowrance makes the I-Command Gauges for Evinrude and Suzuki as well. I thought they looked strikingly similar.
    So I guess I will give the Lowrance a go unless some one here says, DONT?

Default plug and play?

Does that mean I could just plug the unit into my 115 E-tec and moniter fuel useage? Were do I plug it into?
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

www.arcticconcealment.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast