Thread: Good or Bad

Default Good or Bad

I am a big supporter of semi-auto sidearms, and a very big supporter of a .44 for protection in AK, and being that the IWI/MRI Desert Eagle comes in a .44 and is a semi-auto, it seemed logical to look into it. What are the pros and cons of that particular gun?

I dont like them cuz of there size, they are big. otherwise seems like nice handguns.

Default 44

While Desert Eagles are quality firearms, they have some drawbacks. They come with a list of ammo that will make them function (and a lot of normal brands aren't included), they are big, clunky, heavy, and not at all pleasureable to clean.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I'm not at all a fan of auto loaders so take this for what it's worth. I agree with Bravo1 and would add these down sides, personally I found the gun unpleasant to shoot, the balance is way off. They are butt ugly unless you happen to be a pimp or a gang banger. The one my X father in law had seemed to jam allot and they aren't exactly comfy to carry. But to each his own lots of folks wouldn't be caught dead with a 6 shooter for a protection gun...........I wouldn't carry anything else.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Default Pros & Cons

I spent a month camping in your state and was happy with the S&W 629. Never needed it but felt secure that if I did need it, it would not jam. A variety of ammo, including a selection of bullet types and weights were easy to find. Auto or revolver is a personal choice. Reliability is a function of the gun and ammunition. Take your pick....Vanbrady

Grips are too large for a proper hold and the trigger is horrible. Heavy bullets with wide flat points (hard cast) work best for large heavy game and bullet lube is not compatable with a gas operated semi auto

The new 4'' Redhawk is sweet http://ruger.com/Firearms/FAProdView...=5026&return=Y or a nice auto would be a Glock G-20 10mm. Take care, John.

Default The Desert Eagke

is not a new design, It was made to function properly with 180 to 240 grain jacketed bullets. Heavier bullets/loads work the action excessively. Also, you can't use lead bullets because the lead in the gas which operates the action quickly clogs up the gas port rendering the gun inoperable. A pain to clean, too. As mentioned, they are heavy and awkward.

If it won't shoot a 300 grain wide hardcast bullet it's probably the wrong gun for bear protection in 44 mag. If your willing to carry a gun this heavy you could probably move up to a larger caliber revolver and increase your odds.

Regular handgun bullets for the .44 are not the best choice for Bear. Heavy Hard Cast bullets are the order of the day for Bear 300-340grn with heavy loads of powder.

I have two 44's and a 50. I used one of the 44 for everyday carry for 6 years. And have put thousands of rounds through them. I've always thought that with three clips I take care of anything I needed to. I found that the 240 grain worked just fine on everything I shot bear and caribou.
    But just my thoughts on it.
    06 custom weld storm 6 liter 212 and other stuff
    05 1000X with some little thing's done

Autos... the Desert Eagle is certainly impressive, but I've never felt the urge to try one out. For about the same weight & price you could hook yourself up with an 8 3/8" model 500. For considerably less weight & money you could carry a long barreled Super Redhawk, which can shoot .44 magnum+p loads. That with a couple of speedloaders would carry more ammo than a guy would need.

There are a few autos that might fit the bill of "auto for the woods", like a Glock 10mm or maybe a long slide .45, but the Desert Eagle is too much.
    Tsimshian tribe, wolf clan, the house of Walsk.

I wouldn't recommend the Desert Eagle for all of the below comments, but I do have a Baby Eagle in 40SW for two legged bears and I love it. It is a very sweet shooter and a perfect balance for me.