Thread: What brand of 223 ammo?

Default What brand of 223 ammo?

I am starting to get into the "Black Rifle" category and wonder what ammo you are shooting. I am putting together an AR15, when I get the kit, and am looking at the different brands of ammo. Is steel cases OK, as in Wolf or should I stick with brass? Wolf seems to be the cheapest but not sure about reloading the steel case. I have some reloading experience but no expert. I plan on setting up for target shooting and varmint hunting. A buddy has had good luck with Wolf for reliability and accuracy but doesn't reload. Any comments appreciated. Thanks, Mark

I did not find Wolf to be all that accurate. It did cycle well with few jams. The other options are a lot more money though.

Use the steel cases for plinking and practice but use the brass for reloading. Don't even bother trying to reload the steel, they just are't worth the bother.

90% of the problems we have seen in ARs or other semi autos, including blown barrels, blown extractors and the like have been with Wolf ammo.

Default 223

hello, I am a wood and metal kinda guy, started with a dpms match rifle about a year ago.
    Wolf /privi partizan ammo, great, I shoot paper at 100,200 yards, sub minute of angle with the 75 grain and 62 grain, about 1.25 plus with the 55grain. Rifle twist is the reason.
    Here is the deal, Wolf Polymer is great, it is cheap and it works. The steel case works fine in the match chamber, same results with similar bullet weights. Now , calculate the cost of 223 brass for reloading, add that to the cost per round of the unreloadable berdan steel, and you will probably come close to the boxer primed brass mil spec you can buy bulk, get it?
    THE MOST IMPORTANT POINT.......BUY AS MUCH AS YOU CAN AFFORD OF THIS AMMO RIGHT NOW!!!
    I am only at 1500 rounds right now and I know that I need more, why you or anyone may ask, simple, pay now or double or triple or unavailable later on, been there done that, learned my lesson.

DPMS states, do not use Wolf ammo. The coating on the case will melt if the weapon gets hot enough. This causes extraction problems. I have fired many rounds of Wolf through my DPMS and do a complete scrub on it when Finished. So far no problems. Wolf also make a nickel plated round, I think its called Silver Bear.

Default Thanks for the advise,

I am going to buy some ASAP, I do agree that it will be harder and more expensive to get. Sounds like the Wolf ammo isn't the best but is used because of the price. Wolf for practice and brass for accuracy and reloading. Haven't received my rifle kit yet but will buy ammo now. Thanks again, Mark

There are known problems with Wolf. Not everyone will have them, but many people have experienced issues after extended use of it, particularly in the AR platform. Reloadability may also be a problem depending on the type of Wolf ammo you use.

The cost savings of Wolf ammo over other inexpensive brands such as Remington UMC, Federal American Eagle, quality military surplus, and even Winchester White Box, is not enough for me to ignore the known problems and quality control issues. Therefore, I do not consider Wolf as a viable practice ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by windypoint View Post
    I did not find Wolf to be all that accurate. It did cycle well with few jams. The other options are a lot more money though.

Ive never had a problem with Wolf but also have not used very much of it. However, reading of many people who have had problems with it I have decided it's probably a good idea not to tempt fate. I usually buy the cheapest major factory made ammo I can find for plinking. It gives me plenty of good cases to handload rounds for other purposes. The way I see it is a fired brass case in the basement is a potential loaded round down the road. I may not be able to afford 10,000 rounds now but the several thousand empties I have along with bullets purchased when I can afford to mean a supply down the road without the up front expense.

Default .223 accuracy

I've tried some factory (.223 Remington UMC and PMC Bronze and Remington factory 55 grain PSP) in my Ruger Mini 14 Target model with little succes with accuracy; however the PMC and the Rem 55 grain PSP's did group 1.0 to 1.25 inches at 100 yards (3 shots) not to bad. The UMC ammo shot like junk-- 2 to 3 inches. All cyled with no problems.

If your striving for max acurracy reload. I have several .223 recipes that shoot 3\8 inch at 100 yards with Hornady V Max bullets

Default 223 ammo

Quote Originally Posted by jatatkupak View Post
    I've tried some factory (.223 Remington UMC and PMC Bronze and Remington factory 55 grain PSP) in my Ruger Mini 14 Target model with little succes with accuracy; however the PMC and the Rem 55 grain PSP's did group 1.0 to 1.25 inches at 100 yards (3 shots) not to bad. The UMC ammo shot like junk-- 2 to 3 inches. All cyled with no problems.

If your striving for max acurracy reload. I have several .223 recipes that shoot 3\8 inch at 100 yards with Hornady V Max bullets
    Jatatkupak, thanks for running those different brands through your Ruger. I went to buy some ammo and they were out. I too want some brass for reloading so the Wolf is low on the list. Does your Mini 14 have a 1 in 9 twist? I would like to see some of your recipes for the Hornady, you can post or PM me, thanks, Mark

Default wolf

the polymer coating zip zip no problemmo, however, I have a few buddies that have had a few 'issues' with the laquer, the book of the AR15, the authors opinion of the laquer, no problemmo.
    Just clean your gun, accurate cheap just shoot it.

Quote Originally Posted by jatatkupak View Post
    I've actually been trying to load vmax but for some reason i keep cracking the poly tips. any ideas?

back on topic tho, I usually handload my own stuff. I can get 3.4 moa out of my ar with handloaded ss109.

Default .223 reloads

My Mini 14 Target does have a 1 in 9 twist. I've only had it about 6 weeks, really only 3 because I work a 2 0n 2 off schedule. So far it seems to like the 50 grain V-Max and the 65 grain sierra Gamekings, with IMR4198 and H 335. I have some rounds loaded up with Reloader 7 and some with different weight and type bullets as well, but have not shot them yet. I am at work now and don't have access to my load books; however I load most rounds .1 to 1.0 grains off the Max listed in the Sierra Manual. I also seat the bullets just to where they fit in the magazine without dragging.

So far i've not had any trouble breaking the poly tips on the v-Max bullets, I'm using a single stage press, with Hornady New Deminsion dies. i load them in 30 cal and .338 too with no trouble.