Thread: proven 460 S&W Mag loads???

Default proven 460 S&W Mag loads???

I use Bullseye in all my other handguns for economy as just 5gr. is a hot load for a 158gr. bullet in a 357 mag. 6gr. in a 44 mag with, I think it was 240gr. bullet is a wrist rocking round. So as you can see you can get a bunch of rounds from a one pound can of Bullseye, but great care must be taken not to double charge a case since 4 or 5 charges will fit with ease.

I just got a new S&W 460 mag. and am gearing up to load these very expensive rounds. I am running into a lack of proven load data, I assume because it's still a new round. I'm not about to play around with this thing since the pressures this round makes is plane spooky, 65,000psi!

I fear pressure spikes so I am looking for proven powerful but safe and economical loadings. I suspect Bullseye is to fast a burn rate for the 460. Bullseye, Red Dot, Green Dot, and 4895 are the only powders I have reloaded with other than muzzle stuffers.

Anyone have the goods?
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    I use Bullseye in all my other handguns for economy as just 5gr. is a hot load for a 158gr. bullet in a 357 mag. 6gr. in a 44 mag with, I think it was 240gr. bullet is a wrist rocking round. So as you can see you can get a bunch of rounds from a one pound can of Bullseye, but great care must be taken not to double charge a case since 4 or 5 charges will fit with ease.

I just got a new S&W 460 mag. and am gearing up to load these very expensive rounds. I am running into a lack of proven load data, I assume because it's still a new round. I'm not about to play around with this thing since the pressures this round makes is plane spooky, 65,000psi!

I fear pressure spikes so I am looking for proven powerful but safe and economical loadings. I suspect Bullseye is to fast a burn rate for the 460. Bullseye, Red Dot, Green Dot, and 4895 are the only powders I have reloaded with other than muzzle stuffers.

Anyone have the goods?
    Andy
    The new hodgdon's manual has a pretty go set of loads for the 460 none of which I would call economical except the Trail boss which is a greatly reduced load ,most of this is on line at hodgdons or handloader.com. mine shoots the 45 colts pretty well cloverleaf at 50 yds but others have not had the same luck, if you do shoot 45's or 454's remember if your not careful cleaning the cylinders the residue will make the longer 460's stickey a little harder to eject.Alex

Default Good to know!

Quote Originally Posted by aaalaska View Post
    The new hodgdon's manual has a pretty go set of loads for the 460 none of which I would call economical except the Trail boss which is a greatly reduced load ,most of this is on line at hodgdons or handloader.com. mine shoots the 45 colts pretty well cloverleaf at 50 yds but others have not had the same luck, if you do shoot 45's or 454's remember if your not careful cleaning the cylinders the residue will make the longer 460's stickey a little harder to eject.Alex
    Thanks for the info. I will get me the manual, I like it on paper and can't have to many gun books.

I have wondered why shooting .45lc would gum up the chamber. Are they doing that with jacketed bullets also or just with cast led?
    I don't plan on shotting much other than than 460's in it, why lug that thing and load it with little rounds I figure.

I also shoot and reload for a 460. I love the gun. For target loads I am loading up 45 colt rounds. 230 gn bullet with 18 grain of AA#9. Almost no recoil and very accurate.

You do have to clean after shooting anything shorter than the 460 round before shooting the the 460 round as a powder ring builds up and cases stuck cases.

Barnes has some good data on the 460 in the #4 reloading manual

275 gr bullet powder is AA#9 min 34.2 max of 38 grains
    Enforcer min 35.1 max of 39

Hope this helps you a bit

Thumbs up Thanks

Yes that helps, that is one I don't have. There are just so few 460 loads in the books that even show it at all. It is getting better all the time as more people get to know the round. I just found today Ruger is selling a #1 rifle in 460 S&W as a steep up from the 45-70.

Andy

Talking Great resource for reloading data!!

I hit the mother lode in reloading info! Hodgdon has a reloading data center online with way more loadings that they have in their books, and itís even free.

They have 59 loads for 460 S&W with all the info you want, including the pressure as tested. It's just what I was looking for when I first posted this thread here. Take a look.

Pistol ~ Rifle ~ Shotgun Free Reloading Data from Hodgdon.
    http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

Andy