Thread: White Moutains

Default White Moutains

Posting a question in the hiking catagory, however looking for any info on trail conditions in the White Mountains off the Steese? Thanks

Default rough

I have not been out to White off the steese yet this year, but I skiied into borealis cabin from Mile 28 of the Eliot Highway a couple of days before thanksgiving - the trails are it ok shape before beaver creak, but are really rough past that - there was only 6"-8" of snow at beaver creek. Anyway, I expect it will be pretty rough, but passible.

BLM has a trail conditions page they updated thursay -> http://www.blm.gov/ak/st/en/prog/sa/...ns_update.html

if you go out, could you update this thread with the conditions? I am heading out week after next, and news about the trails would be very useful.

Tf you are just out for a day trip on snowmachines (though this is the skiing forum, so i would guess not), I suggest doing nome creak road - its pretty smooth, so low snow conditions is a lot less of a problem.

Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by AKFishOn View Post
    Posting a question in the hiking catagory, however looking for any info on trail conditions in the White Mountains off the Steese? Thanks

Default Decent snow

I was up in the Whites yesterday. Started at US creek road. I was on a snowmachine. In the valleys there was 12-14 inches of fluff, on the ridges it was dicey and wind blown. Snowed all day with and addition of 4 to 6 inches by the time I got back to the truck. I didn't ski but snowshoed after some ptarmigan. It was easy for me to walk but the dogs were sure giving me some evil looks every time they busted through.