Thread: White Moutains Snowshoeing/Hiking

Default White Moutains Snowshoeing/Hiking

Any information on how snow conditions are in the White Moutains for looking for a few birds and possibly hiking into one of the BLM cabins over the holiday would be greatly appreciated. I have been there once a few years back and did a little snowmachining but considering walking in at least part way to one of the more remote cabins, while looking for some birds and just enjoying some time outdoors!

Thanks

Bump.
    It's a good question.
    I am interested in hearing other responses on this as well.
    Thanks.

I will report after this weekend's planned trip, hope the temps are good and the winds low.

Yes. Please do... and post pictures!

Default Pretty nice

I just got back from a ski trip to cache mt cabin in the Whites. For the most part, the trails I was on are in pretty good shape, but not travelled all that much, probably because it was a weekday. For the trail we skied in on (the Mckay creek trail off of 42 mile of the Steese) we had to break trail for 13 of the 20 miles we skied. There is a fair bit of snow, but where the trail is exposed there are a lot of drifts.

I saw quite a few ptarmigan (one almost hit me in the head when I was going down one the larger hills).

BLM has a webpage with current trail conditions, which they update fairly frequently ->
    http://www.blm.gov/ak/st/en/prog/sa/...ns_update.html

As far as hiking into one the cabins, the two nearest cabins Eleazars (12 miles) and Lees (~6miles) are both fairly easy hikes. Most of the time the trails are so hard packed that snowshoes would be not be needed, but you might want to take them just in case. Its hard to get a reservation for these cabins this time of year though.

Some pictures::

Last edited by jec; 12-19-2008 at 18:08. Reason: fixed pictures

What a great set of pictures!
    Thank you SOOOO much for sharing this.
    It might be a good Christmas Day snowshoe for us to go on!
    Post more pictures. I'd LOVE to see them!
    Lurker.

Quote Originally Posted by COtoAK View Post
    What a great set of pictures!
    Thank you SOOOO much for sharing this.
    It might be a good Christmas Day snowshoe for us to go on!
    Post more pictures. I'd LOVE to see them!
    More pictures can be found Here.

These pictures where taken on the McKay Creek trail, in the White mountains, off the Steese at mile 42. The trailhead for the whites at mile 28 of the Eliot offers a little better day snowshoeing, and would be a great Christmas day snowshoe ramble. If the wind is not blowing the Summit trail is really fun and quite beautiful.
    Last edited by jec; 12-19-2008 at 22:19. Reason: grammer.. grammer.. grammer..

Quote Originally Posted by jec View Post
    More pictures can be found Here.

These pictures where taken on the McKay Creek trail, in the White mountains, off the Steese at mile 42. The trailhead for the whites at mile 28 of the Eliot offers a little better day snowshoeing, and would be a great Christmas day snowshoe ramble. If the wind is not blowing the Summit trail is really fun and quite beautiful.
    Grammar, grammar, grammar?

No worries. I am giving you a hard time.

Thanks for sharing the pictures. I hate on Christmas how we always sleep the day away, so this year I'll make it active and we can go shoeing up there or hiking up there depending on how much snow happens between now and then which you know how that goes. It could be no snow, some snow, or massive snow.
    Well, it's getting colder over the weekend, so we will see how the weather outlook is in that direction.
    On Mile 41 Steese Hwy, there is a really nice area to pull off of. Maybe we will just drive until we reach that site.
    How cold was it while you were there? Do you remember by chance? I think that it's the same area that the Fairbanks Hiking group goes to.
    Lurker.

Quote Originally Posted by COtoAK View Post
    How cold was it while you were there? Do you remember by chance?
    It was a cold-ish on the way in, -10f to -20f at the parking lot to -5f at cache mt cabin. On the way out it was very warm - it was +15f at the cabin, and around 10f or so at the parking lot.

The NRCS has a weather gadget at upper nome creek, which is available on-line here.

You can probably use it as a rough guide as to how cold it will be at the top of the hill, with the parking lot being a bit colder.

Good luck, and enjoy your hike.

Quote Originally Posted by jec View Post
    It was a cold-ish on the way in, -10f to -20f at the parking lot to -5f at cache mt cabin. On the way out it was very warm - it was +15f at the cabin, and around 10f or so at the parking lot.

The NRCS has a weather gadget at upper nome creek, which is available on-line here.

You can probably use it as a rough guide as to how cold it will be at the top of the hill, with the parking lot being a bit colder.

Good luck, and enjoy your hike.
    Thanks! I'll let you know how it goes and take some pictures if I get a camera for Christmas.

Thanks for the link for the weather gadget as well. I could definitely use it!
    Lurker.

It looks like we are going to have to wait for at least a couple more days to see if the temps are going to improve before we go shoeing up the White Mountains.
    Today we went shopping and the daughter would like to purchase a new pair of 'shoes before we head on up. I promised that she can purchase them tomorrow.

As soon as we get out, I'll repost some pictures on our return. We have been dying to get out there to the White Mountains area to do this.
    Lurker.

Last weekends (20 DEC) trip went well temps at the truck at mile 57 said 8 above when we left on sleds at 3:30 PM. It was only 3 a few hours later after putting near 60 miles on the sleds, drove to Richards Cabin, but as luck would have it, we were there in the dark and deceided not to look for it when we got back I plotted it from the GPS and we did drive right by it (or a few hundred feet from it). We knew it would be on the creek but with the clear skys we were thinking a night in a warm bed in town might be better than trying to start the sleds the next morning.

Quote Originally Posted by AKFishOn View Post
    Last weekends (20 DEC) trip went well temps at the truck at mile 57 said 8 above when we left on sleds at 3:30 PM. It was only 3 a few hours later after putting near 60 miles on the sleds, drove to Richards Cabin, but as luck would have it, we were there in the dark and deceided not to look for it when we got back I plotted it from the GPS and we did drive right by it (or a few hundred feet from it). We knew it would be on the creek but with the clear skys we were thinking a night in a warm bed in town might be better than trying to start the sleds the next morning.
    Have any pictures?
    Lurker.

Default Pics

None of the trail but we drove to Circle City earlier that day.
    Attached Images Attached Images