Thread: White Moutains Snowmachining

Default White Moutains Snowmachining

I was wondering how conditions are to snowmachine in the White Moutains off the Steese? Any info on the riding conditions or areas to ride the trails would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I've done 4 trips to the White Mtn's this year. All from the Wickersham Dome Trailhead at mile 29 on the Elliot. Trail is in excellent shape 6 miles in or so up to Lee's Cabin. After that the trail starts to get worse the further in you go. We went 20 miles in all the way to the Borealis Cabin for thanksgiving. The last 10 miles were pretty hard and areas next to Beaver Creek are pretty low on snow. Beaver Creek itself is frozen solid around the Borealis Cabin. 2 of the 4 overflow crossings to Borealis can be tough. Only about 6" of snow on the ground near beaver creek. But plenty up in the hills.

Access into the Moose Creek cabin from the Wickersham Dome trailhead was actually pretty decent. Bumpy but plenty of snow. Not really any overflow this way either.

Watch for dog teams and x-country skiiers if you leave from the Wickershame Dome trail head. It's a popular trail head and there are usually plenty of folks out and about on the weekends.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Here's some pictures of what it looked like out there. It was a fun trip for sure!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cpl more pics for ya...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the great pics and info, have you ever been to Richards Cabin, I have it booked in a couple of weeks for a night, hoping to find a bird or two and get out for a trip outside on the sleds.

No, haven't been to Richards cabin yet. But I'd imagine the trail conditions are decent. Should even be plenty of snow cover on any overflow you encounter making that stuff a breeze.

Deff. saw some birds. Mostly Ptarmagin and Camp Robbers.