Thread: Whoo Hooo, got a new Marlin!

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Default Whoo Hooo, got a new Marlin!

Well….. perhaps not so much. It’s actually an old Mossberg 472PRA, ala Marlin 336 look alike. I had always assumed that these were rifles slightly altered from the 336 with an addition of a funky side safety, made by Marlin, marketed thru Mossberg for sale by Westernfield, Sears etc. Seems the old adage about assumption proves true in this instance………

This particular specimen is rather well used and will require a thorough cleaning, and total refinish of the stocks, but otherwise seems to be in very good condition and it was priced right.

It does have a “micro-groove” barrel, but I have been told that they were manufactured by ER Shaw for both Mossberg and Marlin back in the day. Many of the parts and assemblies are so similar to the Marlin as to make one wonder if their was perhaps some collaboration with Marlin in the manufacturing process, or if Mossberg simply copied the design and changed it just enough to forgo patent infringement?

It is also interesting as it sports a 24” barrel, ¾ magazine and pistol grip. Not sure why anyone thought that a 30-30 needed 24” of barrel? But it does look cool.

If any of you guys have any other insights or info on these old Mossberg’s, I would sure be interested to hear what you know. I probably wont get around to shooting it for a few months, but will report back with a field report once I get it out.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Well I have it pretty well disassembled for cleaning and refinishing of the stocks. While it is very clear that the design and function of most of the parts were influenced by the Marlin 336, and are in some instances, nearly identical. There does exist differences significant enough to preclude direct replacement by Marlin parts. The one exception that I have noted so far, is the ejector. A quick function check with some dummy rounds showed that the original ejector had failed. After a tiny bit of file work, I was able to substitute a Marlin ejector that I had laying around. Worked great.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

The new Hornady L/A ammo might just be the ticket with the longer barrel.