Thread: License Draw Question?

Default License Draw Question?

I was wondering if someone could answer a question for me. I am getting ready to put in for the draw but realize one problem. I am still currently a non resident. I will be a resident in June of 09. I want to put in for the 2009 fall hunts ( goats sheep).

Can I put in as a resident because I will be a resident before my hunt starts? Or do I have to put in as a non resident still because at the time of application I was a non resident?

Thanks for your help and good luck in the draws!

Default Res-Nonres

To apply for permit hunts you must have an Alaskan Hunting License, valid for 2008, or the upcoming year 2009. At the current time you can not obtain a resident license. So, if you have purchased a nonresident license in 2008 or for 2009, then you can submit a drawing application now.

I purchased a 2008 hunting license. So when I go to apply do i put in as resident or non resident? Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by wy2ak View Post
    I purchased a 2008 hunting license. So when I go to apply do i put in as resident or non resident? Thanks for the help.
    Call F&G and ask the question to them. Please let us know what they say though!

I had called ADF&G on the same question for a friend of mine who will not be a Resident until Feb 09. The guy at F&G told me that if he is a non resident and holds a non resident license then he has to apply for the non resident tags. He told me that the license that they hold at the time of application is what they have to put in for because when you apply for it the computer recognizes that you are a non resident at that time. To me it makes no sense because he will be a resident by then and should be able to apply for the resident tag. Your best bet is to call them because I have found alot of conflicting stories between the guys at ADF&G, one will tell you one thing and then another one will tell you another so who do you believe.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by bowtechshooter View Post
    I had called ADF&G on the same question for a friend of mine who will not be a Resident until Feb 09. The guy at F&G told me that if he is a non resident and holds a non resident license then he has to apply for the non resident tags. He told me that the license that they hold at the time of application is what they have to put in for because when you apply for it the computer recognizes that you are a non resident at that time. To me it makes no sense because he will be a resident by then and should be able to apply for the resident tag. Your best bet is to call them because I have found alot of conflicting stories between the guys at ADF&G, one will tell you one thing and then another one will tell you another so who do you believe.

and keep a record of the date and time and WHO you talked to...

there are as many licensing tickets wrote each year as there are for game violations.. and if the trooper determines you mis-stated. you could NOT hunt for years...your really BETTER off asking a F&G trooper..i know one here in Fairbanks and one in cantwell if you need #'s
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I did it a few years ago and had a nonresident license and applied as a resident. You are going to be a resident by the time the hunt starts. That is how I read the regulations and took it to my situation. I did not draw then though. I then bought a resident license after my 12 mo.

Default res-nonres

Friday is your last chance to go to the F&G office prior to the deadline. You already have a nonres AK license. Why not just list yourself as a nonresident, which you currently are. If you draw a hunting permit, you will not be required to purchase nonresident tags when you have met the resident requirements. This I am sure of...

...but is in direct contrast to post #7 above.
    ...and as post #6 advises.....do get names of those you speak with. But I disagree about asking a trooper. I'll bet you a hamberger and a coke that a trooper will not have an answer for you.

Sent you a PM also...prior to these thoughts..

Dennis
    AK TAGS
    Last edited by AlaskaTrueAdventure; 12-04-2008 at 23:03. Reason: reviewed prior posts...

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTrueAdventure View Post
    But I disagree about asking a trooper. I'll bet you a hamberger and a coke that a trooper will not have an answer for you.

Dennis
    AK TAGS

Dennis i have found that the guys enforcing the laws have the books at hand and are more willing to work a moment to find the questions answer.

to often the guys sitting around F&G are to busy trying to get back to a game of free cell or some other topic to honestly put in a solid effort. my experiences with them in Fairbanks TOK and Glenallen all say the same thing... polite courteous, well meaning, and often if they don't know will tell you what sounds good..

sounds goos will get you in trouble... That i also know....

F&G wildlife troopers have a 2 inch thick game regulation manual... we get on 1/2 inch thick...

over my years up here. you want a solid hard to answer question filled.. call the guy who will write your citation if you do it wrong...

BTW_ you will never guess who the guys sitting at the fish and game office CALL. when they suspect you made a mistake... they call F&G wildlife troopers.. who investigate and cite as needed..and there is a difference between REGULATIONS and Statuates....bending the later will heap more big dodo on you....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Reg Book

Page 15: Permit Tickets and Reports
    *You may apply for a permit as an Alaska resident only if you qualify as a resident by the start date of the hunt.

I don't know if the internet ADFG site will recognize your license as a non resident and not allow you to apply. But if that is the case, I would get a hold of someone at ADFG to route you to the appropriate person to make it happen.

Default Non-Res licenses

You may use a non-resident license to apply for resident hunts as long as you will be a resident by the time the hunt starts. You may also bring in your non-resident license to F&G once you reach residency status and they can change your non-resident license to a resident one. For you guys that are applying by mail, be sure you have the post office date stamp your envelope if you've waited till friday or saturday to drop it off. If it's postmarked after Dec. 6th, your out of the drawing. Good Luck!!

Sorry I found this too late to help, but for others in the future:

Several years ago this problem was solved by a lot of help from the folks at F&G at Raspberry rd in Anchorage. They sold a residnt licence several months PRIOR to becoming one. The folks at the counter wrote on the licence "will achieve resident status by( date it would be achieved)" This licence was used to apply for the draws that fall ( after the licence was valid.) Didn't draw anything but gave it a good shot. Potential down side was not having a valid (non resident) hunting licence for the spring. In the end calling, explaining and asking for help worked.
    As an aside I have always had good sevice and a helpful attitude from those folks.

Cool Post #11

I called Juneau F&G today, and was told that ww2ak, with the circumstances he indicated, should apply as a nonresident, which is in direct contrast to post #11. WT-We know each other and I do respect you and your knowledge....But ya know I'm astonished at the contrasting information.
    wy2ak...Good luck in the drawing, I respect WildlifeTech enough to advise going with his reccommendation, I guess, pretty much.

Dennis
    AKTAGS

Dennis and everyone that helped me,

Thank you all. I finally got it all figured out and with any luck I'll be goat hunting this fall!

Good luck to all!

Default what

What did you fiqure out?

Are you applying as a resident?

Default rasberry

I talked to the folks at the Rasberry office and they told me that it is up to ME to provide proof of residency. If I get cited then I can prove it to the judge...they wouldn't comment either way....i have been to the raspberry office 4 times. 3 times I got zero help/information and 1 time was a good conversation with them.