Thread: Help with intrepretation

Default Help with intrepretation

Ok, the link below says the Nancy lake trails are open to "snow vehicles". What is defined as a snow vehicle? If my 4 wheeler can make it through the snow is it a snow vehicle?

http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/asp/curevnts.htm
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default Call DNR State Parks

Give the Mat-Su state parks office a call. They've been happy to help when I've called with other questions about Nancy Lake Rec Area (road closures, ice thickness, etc.).

I'd think your 4-wheeler would be allowed if it can make it through the snow, so long as you stay on the roads/trails. But better to get the answer straight from the source.

Mat-Su Valley
    Mat-Su/CB Area Office
    Mile 0.7 Bogard Rd
    mailing address:
    HC 32, Box 6706
    Wasilla, AK 99654
    (907) 745-3975
    Area Superintendent: Wayne Biessel
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyo2AK View Post
    Give the Mat-Su state parks office a call. They've been happy to help when I've called with other questions about Nancy Lake Rec Area (road closures, ice thickness, etc.).

I'd think your 4-wheeler would be allowed if it can make it through the snow, so long as you stay on the roads/trails. But better to get the answer straight from the source.

Mat-Su Valley
    Mat-Su/CB Area Office
    Mile 0.7 Bogard Rd
    mailing address:
    HC 32, Box 6706
    Wasilla, AK 99654
    (907) 745-3975
    Area Superintendent: Wayne Biessel
    I too think you are good to go. But, with that said, when they do finally open up the majority of that area (they may have already you should call prior to burning the gas), it is likely there will be far too much snow for you to get very far from the trailhead.....

Don't know if this helps, but when I registered my wheeler and sled I was told that the four wheeler could be used as a snow vehicle.

The following was Copied from the DMV sight, but double check because some park rangers have their own thoughts. While they are supposed to enforce the rules a few seem to think that they are allowed to interpret them in a way that suits their mood.

Snow Machines & All Terrain Vehicles (ATVs)

A snow vehicle is a vehicle propelled by mechanical power, supported in part by ski's, belts, cleats, or low pressure tires and primarily designed to travel over ice and snow. ATVs with low pressure tires may be registered as snow vehicles.

Snowmachines and ATV's are NOT titled in Alaska, however snowmachines are required to be registered unless they are operated solely on private property. A snow vehicle season is from October 1st to September 30th of the second year. The expiration for a snow vehicle obtaining an original registration in Alaska, or registering a snow vehicle that has been expired over one year will be issued a registration for two, four or six years for the current calendar year.
    • $10.00 - One Season (Two years)$20.00 - Two Seasons (Four years)
    • $30.00 - Three Seasons (Six years)
    The Division issues two decals when a snow vehicle is originally registered. These decals are validated by a tab each registration period. The decal number becomes the permanent registration for the snow vehicle. The decals must be placed on both sides of the tunnel (above the footrests and below the seat) so that they are clearly visible when the driver and passenger are seated in the normal riding position. Decals issued prior to September 30, 1998 may be displayed on the cowling of the snow vehicle. Decals must be placed so that they do not cover the serial number.
    To register a new snow vehicle or ATV, an applicant must submit a Bill of Sale, a copy of a warranty card, or a Purchase Order from the dealer, along with an Title & Registration Application to any DMV office. Snowmachine dealers are required by law to obtain a completed Application for Title and Registration (Form 812) and collect registration fees for snowmachine's at the point of sale. Some dealers will act as DMV agents and process the transaction at the point of sale while others will send completed applications and fees to DMV for processing.
    To transfer registration on a used snow vehicle, the applicant must submit an Application for Registration and an affidavit stating from whom and when the snow vehicle or ATV was purchased, or how the vehicle was acquired, and if the vehicle was previously registered a copy of the last issued registration.

Ok, I'll try to tackle this one. I worked at the DMV for several years, so I know better then most how the State defines things. 4-wheelers are not considered snow vehicles. They are ATV's. The low-tire pressure vehicles the statute is referencing are very specific vehicles with tires designed for snow and ice travel while leaving very little footprint underneath. There are very few vehicles this actually applies to, but some examples are core drillers used in winter, those gargantuan exploratory vehicles the oil companies use in the winter on the tundra, and you might even get away with it on an ARGO-type ATV.

4-wheelers have their own class code in the DMV system that is different from snow vehicles. That being said, it's almost always up to the interpretation of the officer or park ranger, who may, but probably doesn't, know all of that. So basically it's a crap-shoot no matter how you look at it, but from a purely technical perspective 4-wheelers are not snow vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    Ok, I'll try to tackle this one. I worked at the DMV for several years, so I know better then most how the State defines things. 4-wheelers are not considered snow vehicles. They are ATV's. The low-tire pressure vehicles the statute is referencing are very specific vehicles with tires designed for snow and ice travel while leaving very little footprint underneath. There are very few vehicles this actually applies to, but some examples are core drillers used in winter, those gargantuan exploratory vehicles the oil companies use in the winter on the tundra, and you might even get away with it on an ARGO-type ATV.

4-wheelers have their own class code in the DMV system that is different from snow vehicles. That being said, it's almost always up to the interpretation of the officer or park ranger, who may, but probably doesn't, know all of that. So basically it's a crap-shoot no matter how you look at it, but from a purely technical perspective 4-wheelers are not snow vehicles.
    I should mention one other thing here that I forgot. The tags for snowmachines and ATV's are identical, so they look like the same registration externally. It's only on the registration itself that you can see and distinguish vehicle class codes. Externally to most people, they are the same thing, but if law enforcement runs the registration to check it, they will pull up all of the current information including the class code.

I am looking at both of my registrations right now. Both are a class 71
    Have the same exp. date and are sequential tag numbers since I registered them together. The only other thing it lists is vehicle ID. No, Make, Year, Body, Color, for the wheeler the body is 4W and for the sled the body is OP
    License No.'s both start with SG and Tab Numbers both start with SA
    Did they mess up on mine and regeister them both in the same class?

Unhappy if it don,t dig

I don,t mind 4-wheelers as long as they don't dig-up the trail then it becomes a danger to night trailers who are used to snowmachine pack trails I beleave for -bys with tracks are equal if just wheels?

Quote Originally Posted by arrowslinger View Post
    I am looking at both of my registrations right now. Both are a class 71
    Have the same exp. date and are sequential tag numbers since I registered them together. The only other thing it lists is vehicle ID. No, Make, Year, Body, Color, for the wheeler the body is 4W and for the sled the body is OP
    License No.'s both start with SG and Tab Numbers both start with SA
    Did they mess up on mine and regeister them both in the same class?
    Ok, sorry...I haven't worked their in a little while...lol. They are the same class...I used the wrong term... but the distinction is the body style. OP is snow vehicle (I've yet to find anyone who knows what that means, btw) and 4w is, well, 4 wheeler. That's the only difference from a registration standpoint, but it's significant enough to tell LE that it's not a snow vehicle.

ATV's have these body styles available: 2W, 3W, 4W, and 6W...all having to do with number of wheels, obviously. All snow vehicles are registered with the body style OP. Additionally, and something ya'll might not know...ATV's are not required to be registered by the state, whereas snow vehicles are. Generally, because so much of AK is federal land, it's a good idea to get your ATV registered because it is required by the Feds...go figure. And they will happily bust you for not being registered, trust me on that.

Sorry for the confusion.

I was out there today and you can used your wheeler on the trails to Redshirt Lake. Trooper checked the registration on a couple of wheelers on Redshirt lake today and let them go. I asked the guys to see if they got tickets and they said no.

The lady at DMV told me ATV's were required to be registered if they were going to be used off of private property. She said allot of guys get tickets just going to the corner store for no registration. I wondered about this because I have never seen anyone stopped on a wheeler that wasn't causing a disturbance. Now that I read a little closer to the part I copied above it states snowmachines must be registered, but does not mention ATV's in the same sentence. I guess there is some confusion down there and on my part. Thanks for clearing it up coho

The whole issue of whether it's required for ATV's or not is a touchy one, because it's not clearly defined and there is a lot of confusion. Basically any kind of state or federal park access you have to have registration. And cities and muni's and bureau's can all have their own rules about ATV registration, I'm just telling you what the State requires.I haven't heard about the private property only thing...that sounds like she was BS'ing cause she didn't really know the answer. Anyone can drive anything on private property, so that's an easy out. Best rule is to just register the ATV's...it's cheap anyway, and protects you in cases of theft.

Here is a link to the DMV's official SOP for snow vehicles and ATV's. This will make it all as clear as mud...lol

http://www.state.ak.us/dmv/dealer/so...5_snow_atv.htm