Thread: Sending Catt up from the lower 48

Default Sending Catt up from the lower 48

Hi has anyone sent a 16 Catt, with frame up from down bwlow to use on a float,'
    I,m wavering over it would just be easier and cheaper to rent one up there, Of course, first, I would need somplace to ship and store until we arrive, Any places like that in Anch or down on the Pennisula? Just looking to do the UK,'Thanks,
    Jeff

A Cat will cost about $125/day including extras to rent at most places up here. It might be cheaper to ship, but with storage and the added logistical headaches, I would let someone else supply your gear. You can call Carlile Transport 253.874.2633 to get an idea. They ship out of Tacoma.

Wyatt

Default Reference for further info...

danattherock, a member on this site floats an Alaska river each year, shipping his gear up from North Carolina. He's transitioned lately from Ally pack canoes to a round raft, but has plenty of experience shipping gear.

You can look him up via the Members List, then read through his posts, or just PM him directly. I'm sure he'll be happy to share his experiences, including why he ships his own gear instead of renting rafts.

Best of luck.

With you planning far enough ahead I see no reason why you could not ship your raft for a reasonable price. I have used other rafts and Not taking chances but nose it in one the drift so the wife can get to where the fish are laying alot of times. I can take it down all the side channels knowing i can move it quickly with just a crank of the oars or a dip of one. I for one am lost in someone elses raft or boat. If your going to be using it alot up here weigh the cost of shipping vs rental and the thought of rowing a strange raft.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

If you go with shipping your cat/frame oars via air cargo then realize you MUST BE A KNOWN SHIPPER due to the increased security since 9/11. Something to look into for yourself and be aware of in your planning.

Smile !!New Raft??

Or, perhaps to avoid shipping and renting you can use this trip as a great excuse to just purchase a new raft up here in Alaska.
    Think about it, we all have too many guns, but we are always seeking a good excuse to get another rifle. Sounds like you need to look at the new AIRE website.
    But you will still have to ship it home or store it for next years trip.
    Glad I could be of help,

Dennis
    AK TAGS

Man did you ask a big question. I have been struggling with this for some time myself. As 6xLeech mentioned, I have used an Ally canoe on most floats. At 48 lbs, it sure is easy to fly with. But recently, I took an interest in some rivers in Gates of the Arctic and ANWR that would be better suited for a raft. Then came the challenge of getting a raft/frame/oars that I could fly with from NC. A tough one I will tell you. I got a break when Goo Vogt of Alaska Wildwater (AK Sotar dealer) sold me a 14.5 foot custom Sotar non-self bailer. Weighing in at 96 lbs, it fit under the max limit airlines have (100 lbs). Just used it for the first time on a NW float in Sept and he supplied a frame/oars for this first trip. I have designed a custom break down frame that will fit into a large duffel bag. Longest piece is 34" long. I have contacted Cataract and they will make some custom 9.5' oars with three piece break down shafts. This is a set up I can fly with. You mention having a cat. The good thing is your "raft" breaks down into two equal pieces. The drawback is the frame is more substantial. So you can put one tube in its own bag and break the weight in half. Your challenge would be the frame. Largely, whether you use a frame that requires a cooler as a seat. If applicable, maybe you could borrow/rent a simpler frame. If you plan to float Alaska rivers often, maybe you can justify the cost of getting a custom break down frame that would be more easy to travel with. In any event, a priority of yours would be to find a way to fly with your raft/frame. Shipping things up ahead of time sounds real good until you look at the whole package. How much it cost (an ever increasing number), who will receive/keep the gear, what if you show up and something is broke/missing/misplaced, etc.. Being a tad on the type A side, I had no choice but to fly with my gear. You flying into Anchorage and hitting the Kenai is one thing. But if you fly into Kotzebue, Bettles, Dillingham, etc.. and plan to take a 10-14 day float trip in some of the most remote parts of the state, it could be stressful shipping gear up a month ahead of time and hoping things work out. If you are taking a "once in a lifetime" trip, rent a raft/frame from Goo Vogt. He is top notch all the way. If you will be doing a float trip in Alaska on a regular basis, get a raft/frame/oars that you can fly with as checked luggage. Below are some names of folks that make custom frames.

http://www.riverboatworks.com/

http://www.downriverequip.com/asp/home.asp
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Almost forgot...

A picture of my baby in my baby...

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

[QUOTE=danattherock;384991]Almost forgot...

A picture of my baby in my baby...

Hey Dan, I forget.. is that boat a self-bailer? How about dimensions (length, weight)?

Great looking boat! SOTAR does good work.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Mike,

First of all, thanks for the insights you provided while I was searching for the right raft. And thanks for the book too! Great resource for anyone doing a float trip. Below is a link for anyone that does not already own the book.

http://www.alaskafloathunting.net/

As for the Sotar, it is a non-self bailer 14.5 footer and weights 96 lbs (in bag with one thwart). I have only used it once as I just bought it in August but I am already very impressed by it. On our trip in NW in mid Sept, we had narrow sections with no way to avoid some rootballs and such. We had gravel cut banks 15' apart while going through some quick turns in the upper river. The Sotar really took a beating with a totally green oarsman in it. Literally, this was the first time I had oared a raft. After the trip, I was amazed that it still looked brand new. Not even a scratch. This urethane that Sotar uses is pretty impressive from what I can tell.

Default Interesting shipping tips...

Dan. Thanks.

Hey, "A picture of my baby in my baby..." - your new raft is roomy compared to the Ally, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by 6XLeech View Post
    - your new raft is roomy compared to the Ally, eh?

Man, did you say a mouthul. Like a friggin barge. Now I just need to learn how to oar the dang thing. We hit everything in sight the first few miles of our recent trip. But it was not the ideal place to learn how to oar a raft. Very tight and twisting with mid stream rootballs. So narrow in places that the oars were hitting gravel, rather than water. Wife had the deer in the headlights look for about three straight hours. Pain in the a... I got a prison shower orientation

dan, consider getting this rafting instruction vid if you are teaching yourself. actually seeing the rowing techniques done by pro's may help you get through the learning curve abit faster. the info is basic but effective.

http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.a...74&deptid=1075

Thanks for the info man. Already got it. It had a brief bit on oaring, but it was insightful. Until then, I thought the raft went downriver straight, rather than at a quartering angle. I still don't know jack, but the video gave me an idea at least. I wish I could find more videos on rafting, particularly oaring a raft. To date, I have not found much other than the video you suggested. At any rate, I need to learn something between now and June. The wife and I will be floating the Kongakut in ANWR.