Thread: Caliber?

Default Caliber?

My son is going to buy me a rifle for Christmas in anticipation of my return to Alaska soon.

I know I have to start rebuilding a collection, but I used to have a 300WBY that just put everything I shot at on its back.

Knowing there is no perfect all-round Alaska gun, what's the concensus on a 300WBY for Alaska hunting?...and I determined long ago that if the bears leave me alone, I'll leave them alone, so wouldn't be shooting ursus unless forced to....(did/do enjoy the deer hunting on Kodiak, though!)

Default OK

Since your fimiliar with the Weatherby and liked the way it performed on what you used it on. I suggest you purchase another 300 WBY and pick up where you left off. There are lots of premium heavy bullets for larger animals and some really great long range bullets as well that will launch from this rifles bore.
    Good luck !
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default 9.3x62

Take a look at the 9.3x62 in the CZ 550 .

You can kill everything in Alaska, including the biggest bears with a 300 weatherby. Of course the same can be said for the -06, 300 win mag and a host of other larger and smaller calibers.

Smile

You can kill a bear with a spear if you want to hunt like the Tlinket did a hundred years ago

Default Really

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    You can kill a bear with a spear if you want to hunt like the Tlinket did a hundred years ago
    Is that legal ?
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default 300 Wby

I shoot a 300 Wby and would do hesitate to shoot any big game animal in alaska with it. It has the ability to knock a big brown on his butt up close and personal and can reach out and touch something if needed. The weatherby, when loaded w/ comperable tripple shock bullets, has more velosity than the 338 and maintains more energy than the 338 down range and shoots flatter. I like the 338's but my 300 Wby is my preference.