Thread: Encore (scopes)

Default Encore (scopes)

Seeing how this muzzelloader is so popular, which glass are you all using on your encore.
    Diamond Justice MO 70lbs
    Shut-up And Hunt

Default Scope

I am using a Nikon BDC Reticle scope made for the muzzeloader.. It is on their website if I am not mistaken, I bought mine from Cabela's

Default Not Legal for Muzzleloader hunts in AK

If you are hunting an actual muzzleloader hunt in AK, no scopes are legal, only open sights. If you are using the muzzleloader during a regular rifle hunt then scopes are legal. I took my scopes off my muzzleeloader when I moved up here. You must also attend a muzzleloader safety course to hunt in the special muzzleloader hunts in AK.
    “Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

Quote Originally Posted by TeXXaN View Post
    Seeing how this muzzelloader is so popular, which glass are you all using on your encore.
    I don't currently own an Encore, but when I scope any muzzleloader during the regular rifle season I use the Leupold VXIII 1.5x5. Within the range of muzzeloaders that 5x is more than enough, and frankly in Alaska you'll get a lot more use out of the 1.5x than any other power. Best of all is the loooonng eye relief. Still not long enough for my 6-pound 54 caliber Knight however, even if it's plenty for my 458 Winnie and my 460 Weatherby. It's a heck of a scope capable of taking real recoil punishment. Even with 150 grain loads in a 50 cal Encore you're not generating near as much recoil as I'm talking about, so it should last several lifetimes.

I am using a Leupold Varix II, 2-7x40 on the Encore. I have a one piece base with Leupold QR rings. Easy to remove for cleaning or changing to another barrel. Leave the base on the barrel, buy another base for each barrel.
    Mark

Default there always one

Not Legal for Muzzleloader hunts in AK
    If you are hunting an actual muzzleloader hunt in AK, no scopes are legal, only open sights. If you are using the muzzleloader during a regular rifle hunt then scopes are legal. I took my scopes off my muzzleeloader when I moved up here. You must also attend a muzzleloader safety course to hunt in the special muzzleloader hunts in AK.

Thanks,
    Diamond Justice MO 70lbs
    Shut-up And Hunt

Quote Originally Posted by TeXXaN View Post
    Not Legal for Muzzleloader hunts in AK

Thanks,
    Hey Tex,

Your link doesn't go anywhere, so I don't know quite what your getting at. But you're right on the legality question. You can use scopes on muzzleloaders during the regular season, but have to knock them off for the special primitive weapons seasons. And yup, you need to take the certification class before participating.