Thread: I need to get a rifle for stepdad

Default I need to get a rifle for stepdad

I searched through the archives and saw a few threads on the subject. I wanted to start a new one with a few specifics. My stepdad is moving to SC Ak from Ketchikan. He uses a .270 for deer, but that's the only rifle he has. I want to get him a rifle for moose and maybe a brownie. I was thinking 7MM Mag or 300 WSM. Recommendations? I don't want to spend too much on it and may even pick up a used one. It would be nice if it worked for sheep too.

I would also like to put a scope on it. Suggestions?
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Default Rifle

Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post
    I searched through the archives and saw a few threads on the subject. I wanted to start a new one with a few specifics. My stepdad is moving to SC Ak from Ketchikan. He uses a .270 for deer, but that's the only rifle he has. I want to get him a rifle for moose and maybe a brownie. I was thinking 7MM Mag or 300 WSM. Recommendations? I don't want to spend too much on it and may even pick up a used one. It would be nice if it worked for sheep too.

I would also like to put a scope on it. Suggestions?
    If I wanted to give a rifle that wasn't to expensive and yet was pretty nice. I would consider a Howa, Weatherby Vanguard. These are available in both 7mm Mag and 300 Win Mag. These calibers/ammo are everywhere and if he doesn't reload the WSM line ammo is more expensive and harder to find.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

1. 300 WM
    2. 30.06
    3. 338 WM
    4. 7 mag

If you want to stick to those 2 guns then I would look at which has cheaper ammo.

If you are considering alternats you might want to consider a .30-06. The guns and ammo tend to be cheaper.

Is he hunting with you? If so you might consider getting the same caliber you like to use. Don't want to get in to a pinch and grab it wrong box of ammo.

I would look at 338 or 30/06.The 7mag isn't that much different bullet weight size over the 270. Something that will shoot a 200 gr, bullet or better is what he is missing with the 270.

Nothing wrong with a .270 for moose.

Default recommendations...

1) .308 win
    2) 30-06 springfield
    3) .270 win
    Any of the above is plenty of gun. The ammo is readily availble and won't break the bank. My rifle of choice is the .308 winchester with the classic crf bolt and s.s. finish and composit stock.
    But if there is the "fear factor" of not enough gun by all means get the .338 win mag or the 375 h&h.

We bought a 30-06 Tikka T3 Lite for my daughter with a composite stock and blued barrel with a waterproof Nikon scope for less than 600.00 dollars new. We went with the 30-06 because of versatility. You can range from a 150 grain bullet to a 220 grain. While I usually shoot a 300 WM the bear in my avatar did not know the difference between a 30-06 and the 300 WM.

While I would not want to shoot 220 grain bullets all day with the T3 Lite, carrying it all day is a pleasure.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

jkb, do you mind my asking where you purchased the rifle? That sounds like a good Christmas present.

Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post
    jkb, do you mind my asking where you purchased the rifle? That sounds like a good Christmas present.
    You can get a NIB Remington 710 in a 30-06 or 300WM with 3-9 Bushnell scope for less than $400.
    They're very accurate out of the box I shot a caribou 487 yards with it...I was very impressed with it cost and performance.

http://www.remington.com/library/his.../model_710.asp
    "Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Buster View Post
    You can get a NIB Remington 710 in a 30-06 or 300WM with 3-9 Bushnell scope for less than $400.
    They're very accurate out of the box I shot a caribou 487 yards with it...I was very impressed with it cost and performance.

http://www.remington.com/library/his.../model_710.asp
    The710 has been discontinued and replaced with the 770. There are some minor differences in the 710 and 770, otherwise they are the same rifle. That said you can still find the 710 for sale around Anchorage and Eagle River. I've got one in .300 WM and haven't had any problems with it. It's ugly and a little heavy, but it shoots as straight as I can. I'd recommend it to anyone looking to hunt low cost that doesn't care about looks.
    Chris Willhoite

Quote Originally Posted by chrisWillh View Post
    The710 has been discontinued and replaced with the 770. There are some minor differences in the 710 and 770, otherwise they are the same rifle. That said you can still find the 710 for sale around Anchorage and Eagle River. I've got one in .300 WM and haven't had any problems with it. It's ugly and a little heavy, but it shoots as straight as I can. I'd recommend it to anyone looking to hunt low cost that doesn't care about looks.
    I bought 2 of them in the 300 WM....1 is still NIB ( I got that one on sale at Sports Authority in Anchorage for under $300) and the other has brought down 1 moose and 2 caribou.
    the last couple years I've been using a 700 Remington cambered in the 300 SAUM and love that gun...never even feel the gun fire took 2 caribou and 2 Moose so far.
    "Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

There were two places in Anchorage with Weatherby Vanguard in .300 WinMag for $379.00. Good caliber at a good price.

Joe Beatty, the Kodiak Cattle Rancher, shot 12 brown bear with a 270 Rem 721.
    Kinda keeps things in perspective for me, as far as 270 capabilities.
    Did not keep me from buying some boomeres though, 8mm Rem Mag, 375 HH, 300 HH.

Personally I love the 300wm as a general round. But all the suggestions here are great. I'm a single shot guy when I hunt with a rifle at all which is really rare, the rugger #1, and TC encore top my list.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Thanks for the help guys. I picked him up a 30-06 Remington 770. It ended up being $419 with scope, plus a $50 Mail-in rebate. I bought one for myself as well. It seemed like a decentrifle at a good price.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Good on you.He should be very happy