Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 43

Thread: where are the troopers

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    soldotna
    Posts
    67

    Default where are the troopers

    I went fishing last night at spirit lake and seen a few kids fishing when they caught a fish they were throwing it up in the air and the fish then put it back down their hole. I went over and talked to them about it andthen I called the troopers and they never showed up. Shouldent we have more to patrol the lakes and get people of the lakes that do things like this.

  2. #2
    Member Larsenvega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    348

    Default

    It's a fricken shame to see how some people act. I'm a bit surprised to hear that the troopers were a no-show. That's certainly sending the wrong message to those that are doing that kind of crap.

  3. #3
    Member .338-06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,045

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Larsenvega View Post
    I'm a bit surprised to hear that the troopers were a no-show.
    I'm not. A couple of years ago I called about some kids snagging salmon in Campbell Creek and was told "Sorry, we only have one F&W Officer for all of Anchorage and he's busy."

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    421

    Default

    I'm not surprised I have seen the troopers do a really good job, and have seen them do a horrible job also. I once called them when I was down near Ninilchik and a moose had been whacked on the road. It had a busted leg and was still on the road trying to get up and balling. It was about 5:00 in the morning well I was in my work rig so I didn't have anything to put it down with, so I called the troopers and stayed to direct traffic around it because it was in the middle of the road going down a hill after a corner. I waited for an hour for the troopers and there is a station in Anchor Point. I had tourist getting out to take pictures because they thought we have so many moose they like to sleep in the road because it curled up on the yellow line. Finally a trucker stopped by and told me that there was a house right down a drive and he knew the owner and told me to go get him. So i ran up the drive and woke up a stranger around 6:00 in the morning in Ninilchik, and he was able to grab his wheeler and his .44 and put the moose down and drag it off the road. This was a direct road hazard and made unsafe conditions for drivers and me standing in the road trying to help and the troopers never showed up that I know of. I made sure to tell dispatch in two phone calls that this moose was in the road and was still alive and they were still no shows.

  5. #5
    Member ak_powder_monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Eagle River/ Juneau
    Posts
    5,154

    Default

    theres like 130 troopers for all of Alaska, think of the size of Alaska now think of the number of troopers, then think of the number of F&W troopers, there's answer. When in anchorage you might try calling APD they are authorized to enforce F&G laws in Anchorage
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

  6. #6
    Member coho slayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,852

    Default

    Yup, I agree with powder monkey. The Troopers are spread thin, and if they are already on patrol somewhere or responding to another call, they may not be able to respond. They also prioritize, and one terrorized fish probably doesn't rank up there real high on the list.

    It's an unfortunate situation, but one they don't have a huge amount of control over. Petition the governor to approve a bigger budget for DPS...that's about the only way to get more troopers out there.

  7. #7

    Default

    My brother-in-law is a conservation agent (aka game warden) in Missouri and working a 12-hour day would probably be a short day for him. It's not their fault that there are too few of them and they can't answer every call. It's like when you see someone flat out run a red light and you wonder where the cops are.

  8. #8
    Mark
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    .....The Troopers are spread thin, and if they are already on patrol somewhere or responding to another call, they may not be able to respond. They also prioritize, and one terrorized fish probably doesn't rank up there real high on the list......
    I agree:

    1) If the state would pay the Troopers as much as Anchorage paid APD (or more, especially if they're pilot rated and/or stationed in a dump), maybe we wouldn't be at a 40% unstaffed position

    2) I can see this case of "fish terrorizing" being weighed in a court of law........right along with all the dirty divorces, DWIs, assaults, rapes, child molestations, drug cases, etc........

    .....Petition the governor to approve a bigger budget for DPS...that's about the only way to get more troopers out there.
    I wish, but the Legislature controls the purse strings, and they have no intention whatsoever of paying appropriate wages for more police protection.

  9. #9
    Member sayak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central peninsula, between the K-rivers
    Posts
    5,788

    Default Children learn from adults

    I have seen adults do the same with fish. Parents also need to be educated as to how fish should be handled if they are not to be retained.

    For the most part planters are raised and put in lakes for one purpose only: entertainment. Unlike native fish or even enhanced runs, I don't think the authorities really care that much unless there is flagrant abuse such as the Asian guy who was catching hundreds of stockers last year. It seems they care more about fishermen having licenses than about how they treat the fish.

  10. #10
    Member Bear Buster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    EAGLE RIVER, ALASKA
    Posts
    461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    I have seen adults do the same with fish. Parents also need to be educated as to how fish should be handled if they are not to be retained.

    For the most part planters are raised and put in lakes for one purpose only: entertainment. Unlike native fish or even enhanced runs, I don't think the authorities really care that much unless there is flagrant abuse such as the Asian guy who was catching hundreds of stockers last year. It seems they care more about fishermen having licenses than about how they treat the fish.
    RIGHT ON!!
    "Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

  11. #11

    Default

    I agree Sayak, they are much more inclined to show up if you call and say someone was fishing without a license. Unfortunate, but true. Parents should teach their kids how to treat fish properly.
    Thank God for people who don't fish!! Not much would get done without them =)

  12. #12
    Member WaterWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    411

    Default

    They are to busy giving me a speeding ticket for going 9 miles over the speed limit on a road, where the average speed is 20 miles over the posted limit.

    Or


    Theres twenty of them posted up on a stuffed grouse some where on th public road system waiting to pounce on the first pearson that stops to shoot it.

    With those true but funnies out of the way, it does boil down to numbers. Theres just not enough of them to repond to every call, and by the over crowding in our local prisons, I don't think it is a lack of doing the job.

    About the best ya can do is talk to them and let it be known you will call the troppers and leave it at that.

  13. #13
    Member ak_powder_monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Eagle River/ Juneau
    Posts
    5,154

    Default

    Lack of funding for DPS is actually the #1 reason I hate Sarah Palin and hated Frank Murkowski and wasn't a huge fan of Tony Knowles (although I'm too young to really remember the Knowles admin)
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Soldonta, Alaska
    Posts
    315

    Default Troopers

    My goodness. Use a little common sense. Watching a few kids play with a trout is not a justification to call the troopers. We dont need any more laws, police, or rules. We cant afford to pay for the services we have right now let alone more govt. We already have too many fish cops patroling our lakes for outlaw ice fisherman that might be using live bait to catch a lake trout. I commend the troppers that were available to go CPGH when they were truly needed and not checking ice fisherman.

    Our state troopers do a great job and please use judgement when calling them when they are spead thin enough as it is.

  15. #15
    Member homerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    homer, alaska
    Posts
    3,922

    Default here's the truth ...

    wildlife troopers just plain won't write a ticket to a juvenile, that's all there is to it.
    what it comes down to is all the time and effort that goes into pursuing a violation is wasted (for all practical purposes) when it is expended on something that will be thrown out of the court system and/or generate no revenue.
    adults need to teach the kids, whether they are yours or not, learn to deliver a message that they will listen to.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    soldotna
    Posts
    67

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chinookee2004 View Post
    My goodness. Use a little common sense. Watching a few kids play with a trout is not a justification to call the troopers. We dont need any more laws, police, or rules. We cant afford to pay for the services we have right now let alone more govt. We already have too many fish cops patroling our lakes for outlaw ice fisherman that might be using live bait to catch a lake trout. I commend the troppers that were available to go CPGH when they were truly needed and not checking ice fisherman.

    Our state troopers do a great job and please use judgement when calling them when they are spead thin enough as it is.
    if someone is brakeing the law they should be called that's why we have them. Law are rules not guideline that you may choose to follow or not.

  17. #17
    Member mit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    702

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bryasch View Post
    if someone is brakeing the law they should be called that's why we have them. Law are rules not guideline that you may choose to follow or not.
    Oh yea, then you should start start enforcing the laws on the Glenn highway before you start throwing kids in jail for throwing fish in the air........ Get in touch with reality.
    Tim

  18. #18

    Default What?

    You guys never played baseball with a fish when ice fishing? It get's boring in the winter.
    Besides, maybe they had summer jobs at Pike Place Market in Seattle.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  19. #19
    Mark
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Lack of funding for DPS is actually the #1 reason I hate Sarah Palin and hated Frank Murkowski and wasn't a huge fan of Tony Knowles (although I'm too young to really remember the Knowles admin)
    So when was DPS adequately funded in the past?

    And, again, was it the Governor, or was it the Legislature that adequately funded it?

  20. #20
    Member .338-06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,045

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    theres like 130 troopers for all of Alaska, think of the size of Alaska now think of the number of troopers, then think of the number of F&W troopers, there's answer. When in anchorage you might try calling APD they are authorized to enforce F&G laws in Anchorage
    Really? I called the APD, they sent me to F&W Protection.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •