Thread: 22 Hornet Bolt????

Default 22 Hornet Bolt????

I've got a 22 hornet and the bolt action has increasingly gotten harder to rack a shell. It's like the bolt is rubbing on something but as it is an older gun there are lots of usual wear spots and I can't tell where it is rubbing. It has been well cared for oiled/cleaned so it has nothing to do with neglect. Thinking about dropping it off for a gunsmith to look it over but was wondering if anyone on here may have the answer I'm looking for. Thanks and I appreciate any info..

Was it outside with the rather cold recent Soldotna / Kenai temps? It could be something like a liitle too much old oil inside the bolt gumming up.

2. Have you brush cleaned the chamber and bore? Some guys keep using soft patches over the years and eventually they get a little rim of crud built-up at the far end of the chamber.

3. Are these factory loads or handloads?
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

You can coat the bolt with something like machinest blue,lipstick,felt maker etc then work the bolt a few times then polish the rub areas.Could also be oil build up or chamber crud,worst case a head spaceing problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    Was it outside with the rather cold recent Soldotna / Kenai temps? It could be something like a liitle too much old oil inside the bolt gumming up.

2. Have you brush cleaned the chamber and bore? Some guys keep using soft patches over the years and eventually they get a little rim of crud built-up at the far end of the chamber.

3. Are these factory loads or handloads?
    1) Hasn't been outside in the cold.

2) Yes, the bore has been brush cleaned.

3) Sorry, I should have been more specific it's catching even when not racking shells. But yes they are hand loads.

Amigo Will- What would cause a head spacing problem? The bolt action has always been a little tight but has just recently gotten worse. I can't think of anything I have done to the gun to cause it.

To hot of shells can cause it but you should be able to see some change in the bolt face.Not knowing the gun type or where the lugs lock in its hard to tell where to look. One quick check is look at your bolt handle and make sure it hasn't been bent back some. also could the bolt be rideing the hammer more.Take it out of the stock and watch what is going on as it might just show itself.

What type of firearm are we talking about???
    Any photos of the action up close showing the point where it starts to drag?

Thanks for the replies... Looks like I need to do a little more research. I'll pull it out of the stock and maybe get some photos.

Default Good As New!!!

Found a primer wedge up between the bolt and the magazine. Can't believe I didn't find it before. Won't be shooting that ammo anymore. They were some older (like 20 years) reloads my Dad had given me. Thanks for the help.

Wonder how that happened?

Glad you found the problem.Got watch for those enlarged primer pockets in small shells.

I found the Hornet a real PIA to reload for....crushed cases, oversize chambers in the various rifles, varying accuracy...a real challenge for me

Default Reloading hornet

Reloading hornet can be a pain because they are such thin small cases. Neck chamfering is a must and partial neck-sizing only is a definite because of the long neck and shoulder angle. Extra care has to be taken in running the case into the press. Delicate is a word I would use to describe the process. Not a cartridge to use normal quantity loading procedures with. I never used any max loads in the several hornets I have owned as I found enlarged primer pockets more common in this case. H110 is an excellent powder, as is WW-680. I wonder what the 20 year old reloads had in them.