Thread: Tubing Bender

Default Tubing Bender

If a guy wanted a custom rear bumper fabricated (bent) in steel tubing and it requires radius bends on multiple planes where could he get it done in Anchorage?

I have a Ĺ inch tubing bender you can barrow. I personal would use Alum.

I appreciate the offer. I don't think any tubing, aluminum or steel, that I can bend will be stout enough for the mission. I'm thinking about a bending machine with a mandrel to prevent the tube from collapsing. Maybe I'm overthinking it, but I want to explore the options.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    If a guy wanted a custom rear bumper fabricated (bent) in steel tubing and it requires radius bends on multiple planes where could he get it done in Anchorage?
    Sorry, when you said "tubing" I was thing tubing not pipe.

Try Greer or Alaska steel,

Default welding shop

Mr. Pid,
    Any welding shop up there should be able to do that for you. Good Luck!
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

My buddies shop has a pipe bender but off hand square tubeing I usually cut wedges out and reweld to my desired radius
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Sincere thanks for the replies. I found a welding and machine shop that's willing and able to do what I need.

Mr. Pid, don't forget to post pictures of what you had fabricated, how it mounts, etc.

The "project" is all about adding a trailer hitch and rack to the tunnel extension of a sled that doesn't offer trailer hitch or rack options. The stock bumper was in the way and I didn't like it much to begin with. The new one will be more functional for lifting the rear of the sled and it won't be in the way of the hitch. For mounting I'll re-use the stock bolt locations. I built and installed an aluminum sub frame inside the tunnel to reinforce for the hitch and rack. My plan has worked out very nicely. If the bumper turns out well I'll be a happy boy. Total weight gain will be about 5# including the rack and reinforcing frame.

New sleds may ride well but they're weak on storage space. That'll be another project. Make bags to fit into every nook and cranny.

Default Tubing Bender

A freind asked me about fabricating a rack on the back of his machine somthing like you are contemplating. I have a JD Square tubing bender with a delrin insert in the follower so gallding doesn't occur when bending aluminum. A couple of shots of bender, etc. My dies are for 3/4 pipe nominal, which measures 1.050 OD x 1/8 wall. This makes a stout rack w/o excessive weight.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice! If I had those tools along with a break, a shear, and a TIG? I'd never come into the house!

Iíve bent a lot of tubing and did not use a bender. A vise and heat can work wonders.

I made some items out of square tubing. It never looked as good as round rod or tubing.

Default Tubing Bender

A shear would be nice but don't have room in my small shop, skil saw. plasma cutter, router etc. suffice. Do have the tig and mig covered and fab'd up a small brake. I do find myself spending alot of time out there!
    Attached Images Attached Images