Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what has the nra done in alaska

Default what has the nra done in alaska

what has the nra done about the law restricting active duty soldiers from being allowed to conceal carry off post? as i remember, the excuse was due to some soldiers pending charges that turned in to a "not guilty" verdict. add to that, we carry weapons every day here in iraq and are not unqualified to have the same freedoms offered to alaskan civilians. does anyone know if anything ever changed? did the nra make an effort to overturn this infringement? if they did i will get my daughter a life membership.

You realy need to look at what the NRA has done as a whole,not a single instance.Folks in the service give up all rights when they join regretfully and on some bases you can't even have personal guns. Some of us worked very hard with the NRA in Alaska to get the Concealed carry passed in 95 which is now up-dated as it should be. I have not always been happy with the NRA but its the only Big Dog in the fight.
    Thanks for serveing

Quote Originally Posted by holly View Post
    what has the nra done about the law restricting active duty soldiers from being allowed to conceal carry off post? as i remember, the excuse was due to some soldiers pending charges that turned in to a "not guilty" verdict. add to that, we carry weapons every day here in iraq and are not unqualified to have the same freedoms offered to alaskan civilians. does anyone know if anything ever changed? did the nra make an effort to overturn this infringement? if they did i will get my daughter a life membership.
    I retired from the USAF in 05..... and I never herd of anyone that was on active duty being restricted off base from carrying concealed... I did it all the time and still do. However if someone is pending charges it may be their commander's prerogative to impose restriction on a individuals liberties.
    "Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

I do not believe that there is ANY STATE law restricting you from your civil rights just because you are active duty. HOWEVER, your current commander can make up their own balony rules for active duty personel. By the time it filters down to you at morning muster, who knows what it would sound like.

PS: This is not uncommon, a few years back they had a base commander on Ft Rich who who not allow Masonic funerals at the national cemetary for some odd personal reason. Some of us Alaskan born troops who were on the square and level did not think much of him. I think they transferred him to Panama

The NRA is not perfect, but they are the only rounds heading down-range towards the enemy. Without their pushing and dealing over the last 100 plus years, you would not even be able to write about firearms, much less own a bunch.

xx
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Float Pilot I too am a traveling man from the east.Remember Hitler removed the Masons before he went for the jewish folks.

Default concealed carry

float pilot is right , there is no such law... however our current commander did post a policy about it. the commander cant change the law ....or make up his/her own. on post you have to follow the rules and concealed weapon on post has always been a no-no. but off post you LEAGALY have the same rights as outher alaskans. but if you get introuble leagaly with your cocealed weapon... ie... carrying while your intoxicated.... or something of that nature, and your chain of command catches wind of it... you could be punshied on the military side of the house as well

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    The NRA is not perfect, but they are the only rounds heading down-range towards the enemy. Without their pushing and dealing over the last 100 plus years, you would not even be able to write about firearms, much less own a bunch.
    Yep, and thats why I'm signing up. Take a look in yer gun safe and tell me why its not worth 25 bucks to keep 'em.

Default for the troops

Bowtechshooter has just put up a thread pertaining to this in HUNTING but in his thread is a link from the nra... for active duty soldiers..free membership....

When I was in the army, every post that I was stationed at had a local policy forbidding soldiers to carry concealed weapons on or off post. That may be what you're thinking of. The local commander has that authority, regardless of what the state laws may be. Same thing with requiring military members to wear the orange vest or helmet when riding a motorcycle. It is a lawful order, and you are required to obey it. I didn't agree with it then or now, and I knowingly chose to disobey, realizing that if I ever got caught I would be subject to UCMJ action. I also never registered my guns on post.
    I suppose the bottom line is that you have to decide for yourself if you're willing to accept the consequences of disobeying an order. If so, they can't really stop you.

I retired from the USAF in '03. As I recall, the restriction on concealed carry of personal weapons off base only applied if you were in uniform, i.e. you can't be in uniform at Freddy's with your Kimber tucked into your waistband under your BDU shirt. In civilian clothes, no problem if otherwise legal.

Quote Originally Posted by e22tattoo View Post
    float pilot is right , there is no such law... however our current commander did post a policy about it. the commander cant change the law ....or make up his/her own. on post you have to follow the rules and concealed weapon on post has always been a no-no. but off post you LEAGALY have the same rights as outher alaskans. but if you get introuble leagaly with your cocealed weapon... ie... carrying while your intoxicated.... or something of that nature, and your chain of command catches wind of it... you could be punshied on the military side of the house as well
    The UCMJ and your commander's authority doesn't disappear when you go off base.

It boggles my mind how on the one hand we entrust the brave men and women in the military to use the most powerful weapons in the world, yet they aren't trusted to carry their own weapons to protect themselves?

It boggles my mind also Paul.

However, I would be disapointed if the NRA stuck their nose in the issue. I think there still needs to be a solid line between the rights of a commander in the milatary to command and what a political action group wants to see the Military do. It would open a can of worms that we might not like to be opened.

It boggles my mind how on the one hand we entrust the brave men and women in the military to use the most powerful weapons in the world, yet they aren't trusted to carry their own weapons to protect themselves?

The first thing they did at basic and OCS was to take away your pocket knife and hand you a bayonet.
    Logic never entered the theater of military thought.

Float Pilot I too am a traveling man from the east.Remember Hitler removed the Masons before he went for the jewish folks.
    Brother Will,
    Thanks for pointing that out. Many folks have no idea that Hitler had about 12 million people murdered.
    6 million being Jewish, the other 6 million being Masons, intellectuals, Catholic's, Baptists, J-Ws, political enemies, gypies , the disabled, mentally ill and anyone who might have liked big band music.

He was just another creepy politician that seemed to pop up from no-where without anyone knowing anything about his true background, until it was too late.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by walk-in View Post
    When I was in the army, every post that I was stationed at had a local policy forbidding soldiers to carry concealed weapons on or off post. That may be what you're thinking of. The local commander has that authority, regardless of what the state laws may be......
    If you're carrying legally off post, how is your commander going to know if you're doing so?:

1) You tell him, or

2) You legally shoot somebody in self-defense, and your name gets in the paper

So, Commander Clown gets to attempt to put some bad mojo on your alive personhood rather than praise your dead carcass for being an obedient soldier.

For some reason, I prefer Option A under the "better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6" principle.

.....I suppose the bottom line is that you have to decide for yourself if you're willing to accept the consequences of disobeying an order. If so, they can't really stop you.
    Yup.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    .....I would be disapointed if the NRA stuck their nose in the issue. I think there still needs to be a solid line between the rights of a commander in the milatary to command and what a political action group wants to see the Military do. It would open a can of worms that we might not like to be opened.
    Those cans of worms have been squirming in our cereal for years now under the "gays in the miltary" and "women in combat" political circuses, among so many others.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    It boggles my mind also Paul.

However, I would be disapointed if the NRA stuck their nose in the issue. I think there still needs to be a solid line between the rights of a commander in the milatary to command and what a political action group wants to see the Military do. It would open a can of worms that we might not like to be opened.
    Doug gets it.

The commander's authority exists on base and off base, on duty and off duty.

The UCMJ exists on base and off base, on duty and off duty.

Just because behavior "X" is legal out in town doesn't mean that it has to be, or is allowable for military personnel.

Just as authority for military personnel exists everywhere, on duty, off duty, on base, off base, in the US and overseas.

It'a a system that has worked well for military dicipline since the founding our or Nation's military.

Those cans of worms have been squirming in our cereal for years now under the "gays in the miltary" and "women in combat" political circuses, among so many others.
    I realized this after I posted it. I still don't appreciate the civilian population sticking it's nose in military business unless it's really needed. There are lots of cases that military personel are not protected by the Constitution and this is another one. I don't like it, but the battle (so to speak) needs to go through the chain of command not the NRA. Unfortunately they are not going to get any support from the commander-in-chief.

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post

He was just another creepy politician that seemed to pop up from no-where without anyone knowing anything about his true background, until it was too late.
    Are you still talking about Hitler or some other politician that seem to pop up from no-where without anyone knowing anything about his true back ground and.................
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

You mean... B-wHO ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast