Thread: Wolverine Creek questions

Default Wolverine Creek questions

I have some out of state friends that want to come up & do some bear viewing & red fishing. Has anyone gone to or sent someone over to Wolverine Creek on the other side of the inlet? If so how was it?
    I know it was decent 5+ yrs back but & in the last couple really balloned with tourists & become more crowded.
    From what I can tell on photos the bears look mainly younger & smaller & the fishing might be weak. Would they be better of to go to Katmai instead. I know it would be more costly & would think they would just go for the day flight then.
    Any opnions would be appreciated.

We had some friends fly over there last year. They had a great time. They did not fish but they saw many bears from boars to sows and sows with cubs. From what I understand it is a good red run. I cannot say that is is myself. I did see pictures of the bear viewing and it sure looked like a beary good time
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

there is a new lodge onthe danalie hwy that is doing some cool trips you could look into that alpinecreeklodge.com

We send hunderds of people to Wolverine every year and for the most part, they enjoy it thoroughly... the fishing is good, but it's basically just snagging reds in a clearwater pool.... kinda like fishing in a bucket. Like I said, most people have a great time, but it's crowded (you have to wait in line to fish) and not for the purist types at all.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Default we had a blast

I had a couple come up last summer I've known for a while. Their "trip of a lifetime" to AK was for all of 4 days! I figured I'd try to get them as much as I could in that short of time, and only the husband liked to fish. We used Talon Air and did the 8:00 a.m. flyout to Wolverine Creek. A mother grizzly with three little cubs were the main attraction. Our fishing guide, Rusty, knew the bears well. He told us that particular mother grizz usually dove off a particular rock at times, but she didn't for us. A black bear visited later and we heard it and the mother grzz got in a scuffle. It was fairly crowded, but at least half the boats weren't fishing, just watching bears. We lined a bunch of reds, hung out taking pics, then headed out to the brackish flats where a silver run had just begun. We finished our limits on silvers and the guide filleted out a couple fish and pulled out a grill and cooked them right there on the boat. They let us take our 4-year old daughter for free if she sat on my lap in the plane, which she didn't have to do as it wasn't full. Then, on the flight back, the pilot let my daughter sit up in the co-pilot's seat with the headset on - she was thrilled. We also cruised up and down a glacier before heading back across the inlet. If you are ok with a few other boats and tourists, I'd highly recommend it, and Talon Air in particular. We all had a blast and I'll definitely take any lower-48-ers who come visiting out there again. In fact, my wife wants to go again next summer regardless.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

if I paid $400 or whatever it is to go fishing I would not go where there are a ton people.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default For less of a crowd

I did a one day fly in/fly out to Fish Lakes creek / Bulchitna lake with Rust's this last July. We were the only foot traffic out there. The kings were finishing their run, and the silvers were just showing up. I couldn't guarantee a bear, but we did see two while there (perhaps just luck). Still lots of boats running clients through the holes for Kings.
    Although some can call it Catchin', I still have to call it fishin'.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    if I paid $400 or whatever it is to go fishing I would not go where there are a ton people.
    Thanks, good idea Skippy!

Obviously this person has never been to the other side of Cook Inlet, and is here trying to gather some more information about the place.
    (Sorry we're not as well fished as you.) That's kinda' why they're on this forum to begin with.

Got any ideas of YOUR OWN that you'd like to share? Personal experiences? (...other than the usual recital of ADF&G regs, or random factoids about hatchery operations.)

We went there 2 years ago in July. First thing I'd suggest is if you are going to fish, bring your own rods/reels. The "guide" we used had old spinning rods with at least 1 guide missing on each rod and most of the reels only had about 100 feet of line on them so it was difficult to cast. We tried silver fishing first with bobber/egg (the cheapo plastic bobbers) and got a couple then we headed to the creek where the reds were stacked up and waited in line to catch (snag) our limit. Our boat only saw one small bear but the other boat that was with our group saw around 10 and even got to witness a small fight between 2 of them. It was cool watching the reds try to climb the small creek with a Bear fishing right there but the experience would've been better without all the people there. There were probably 12-15 boats tucked in the cove where the bears were.