Thread: Denali Highway trip pic's

Default Denali Highway trip pic's

Just some pic's from last weekends trip to Denali with ErikinAK, and another friend.

We left Kenai Friday morning, picked Erik up in Anchorage and headed to Cantwell. Arrived in Cantwell in the afternoon, and in speaking to the guy at the Tesoro, he said we could drive in about 12 miles up the Denali Highway and park. We trucked in that far, and unloaded the machines, after we got stuck in the snow with the pick up. We decided to leave the pick up, and dig it out when we got back. The ride in was excellent! Snow was great. After we crossed the Susitna in the dark, we noticed that no machines had been down the highway that far this year (it looked like that, anyhow.) There was about a foot of powder, and the riding was smooth! We arrived at the lodge about 2 hours after leaving Cantwell, and there was a lot of snow piled up! Got a fire going, and relaxed. The next morning, Erik and I decided to go down the Maclaren for some beers and food, and the other fellow decided to go hiking up in the mountains. He's experienced in this sort of thing and brought back some amazing pictures! On the way down the highway, we spotted 16 moose, and most of them big bulls coming out of the Clearwater drainage. At Maclaren, there were people and machines everywhere! The wind was blowing about 40mph. We stayed around Maclaren for about 3 hours, and then headed back. When we got back to the lodge, we went to work on shoveling the snow off the deck. It was about 5 feet deep, and took some time!
    In the morning, we took off back to Cantwell, and we watched ErikinAK head accross the Susitna River, without the luxury of using the bridge. He did great on the crossing, but had some difficulty pulling himself up the other side. He had to turn the sled around and come accross the bridge. We seen many machines between the Susitna and Cantwell. Lots of folks enjoying the nice day!
    We arrived back at the truck only to find that it had snowed an additional 6 inches while we were gone. I was very skeptical about whether we could get the truck out without chains, but we dug it out and gave it a shot. It was a nervous ride out, but we made it!

Anyhow, that's our weekend. I'm going to post a few pic's, and I think Erik is going to post some too!

Claude Bondy
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Default More Pic's

Some more pic's

Default and some more pics

more pic's.

Yup. I totally got stuck on a dinky little river bank. Oh, the shame.

Had a great time! Alpine Creek Lodge is going to be a premier winter destination.

Here are a few picks I took on the ride out

Alpenglow on the Alaska Range and the Clearwater Mountains from the Big Su bridge

and more....

denalihunter at the woodstove and me with a pint jar o' snowmelt

page 3

A slightly blurry shot of the lodge all lit up and the property's original cabin

page 4
    Sunrise on the Denail Highway and a cow and her big calf

Default Denali Highway

It looks like you all had a good time. Hope to make a run up that way before too much longer.
    Thanks for sharing.

We got up at 5am and hit the road from Fairbanks down to the Cantwell side of the Denali Highway yesterday. Was a long drive but well worth it for the riding conditions. A couple miles in the snow starts getting pretty deep. Thanks for the trip info guys. Can't wait to make a weekend out of it and hit the Lodges down there.

Cpl more pics...