Thread: Looking for a compact cold wether tent

Question Looking for a compact cold wether tent

I am looking to buy a good (not brake the bank) 2-4 person tent for cold wether and winter camping. I don't want an all season tent and I would like to camp to negative 40 or so. I have used a few over the years but never owned one of my own. I did a search but didn't find the info I was hoping to pull together.

I would like to know if there are any winter campers here and what their experiences have been with there tents? Pros, cons, would you buy it again and if not what would you go with now?

How big is your bank I only trust one company for REAL winter camping and that is the AK tent and tarp arctic ovens. They won't be great for backpacking but they are the best I have seen for carry with a sled. Their pup tent (6'8" x 8') runs ~800.

I'll look more into them, They seem tall and would take a lot to keep that much air warm. What kind of temps have you camped out to in it? I drive to or close to most areas I winter camp. 40x13.5 tires with 5psi float over anything. If not that I will be on snow machine. I would like to be able to pack it on foot if needed.

Well if you are looking for a tent that will keep you warm in -40 you'll be either hauling fuel (propane, heating oil, ect) so chances are you won't be backpacking that. Or you will be using firewood. In which case either Kifaru tipis or TI goat tipis with their associated woodstoves could be a nice alternative. I've looked at these for a while and think they'd be pretty cool, its just that most of the places I go there isn't much in the way for wood fuel so I wouldn't be backpacking cause I'm not gonna haul around propane in my pack.

Ideally I'd like to get the Kifaru 8-man tipi with the liner and bug netting and the large stove. But then were are talking in the neighborhood of $2K!!!! So for now I'll stick with my sno-go and Arctic Oven at a half the cost.

Second on the Arctic Oven recommendation. If you want to go a little easier on the wallet, a standard issue canvas wall tent (also from AT&T) with a woodstove is a decent way to go, I've used mine down to -35F and it heats like a champ. 8x10 fits 2 people on cots nicely + gear + woodstove (I like the cylinder types, rather than the sheetmetal ones), 10x12 is good for 3+. The AO has the advantage of an insulating layer (integrated fly creates an air pocket), as well as freestanding (comes with poles/etc). Woodstove works great, but you have to stoke it every couple of hours; I've heard of some folks using a vented propane heater (has a pipe/chimney just like a regular woodstove), but realize that LP won't vaporize at -44F, so you'd be up the creek if it got that cold.

I've used my North Face VE-25 mountaineering tent (sleeps 2-3 little pesky mountain climber types, which I'm not) and it's bombproof - you can **** near do a cannonball onto it and it'll bounce you right off. They don't ventilate that well tho (condensation builds up in a hurry), and using a heat source is a bit tricky as it's an all nylon tent and if you get a stove/heater/etc too close then WHOOSH there goes the house.

Good luck and let us know what you decide on...

bb

Hilleberg has a few models that are routinely used for winter camping: http://www.hilleberg.com/PhotoGallery.htm
    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! (Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945)