Thread: what type of dog hunting is done in alaska

ft myers fl right at the moment till i move to ketchikan ak

Default what type of dog hunting is done in alaska

what type of dog hunting is done in alaska see im movin up there in 6 months and want to take my dogs i have a coon dog and is there many coons up there i know hog dogs r useless so i sold them but i know ppl use dogs to hunt bear and wild cats does anyone up there do this or is it even legal

No racoons, no hogs, bear by special permit, (I haven't met anyone that runs bears with dogs up here yet) and I don't think lynx take to being run by dogs. Bird hunting, rabbit hunting with dogs, waterfowl hunting

Talking the only dog hunting

I do is open the back door, whistle & yell come'ere Rover.
    Gary

Default Black Bears

I use my dog in my avatar for spring bears, only season it is allowed. She has not treed or aided in taking one yet. But I have gotten a permit for her the last two seasons, I am the only one who has for unit 6 anyways.

Although small, she is freakin fierce and love to chase them and sniff the trails out. I have only seen her get on one bear personally, the thing was running away so fast it was pretty funny seeing a 16# terrier after a nice blackie. She has been a couple more but just a bit to fast in the terrian we hunt in to keep up. Thinking of trying a ground blind over bait with her this spring to get her on bears with me. Had her on my spot and stalk this year but it was my last day to hunt so I kept her on leash and pulled the trigger.

so yes you can hunt with dogs up here. Not sure about linx, they are so rare anyways chances of that is slim to none.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by youngbuckfl View Post
    what type of dog hunting is done in alaska see im movin up there in 6 months and want to take my dogs i have a coon dog and is there many coons up there i know hog dogs r useless so i sold them but i know ppl use dogs to hunt bear and wild cats does anyone up there do this or is it even legal
    What is the bag limit on "Dog"?

Default spring bears

like posted earlier spring season is the only time for running bears. I knew a guy up here that had black and tans and would run bears in the spring and then send them south to his son in Idaho for lions. He told me that it was pretty tough hunting with them up here being so thick and that he had lost a couple dogs for a week in the really thick stuff. just a fyi

Default NOT Sure

To my knowledge there are no native racoons in AK, so season would be open year-around on feral ones.
    I know my coonhounds would tree cats if I ran them in the daytime. Alaska has Lynx they will tree or bay after a long race ( all cats will), just like a mt.lion.
    Not sure if it's legal though, check with F&G.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !