Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rep points and user profiles

Default Rep points and user profiles

Is there a reason that another member can not see what topic/post was given rep points from a member in their profile? Why be anonymous as the giver?

If we could see the topics and the giver/reciever would we see the same people giving out kudos to each other over and over for the ODD bling bling?
    Combat Vet by choice! Defender of this great nation and people (Which unfortunately also includes the stupid and the ignorant.)

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:_R_ZqAiK-e_U0M:<a href=http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/hockey/ARCTICLIONS/Ice_Puppies_Logo_Light_with_shading.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/ho...th_shading.jpg</a>

Support Youth Hockey!
    http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams...Y&s=hockey&t=c

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanmoosehunter View Post
    Is there a reason that another member can not see what topic/post was given rep points from a member in their profile? Why be anonymous as the giver?

If we could see the topics and the giver/reciever would we see the same people giving out kudos to each other over and over for the ODD bling bling?
    With the cycle being you cannot "Re-Bling" a member until you bling 30 other members, and the daily quota of bling being less than 30, I think it'd be dern difficult to "give out kudos to each other over and over"...
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Hopefully I'm not reading too much into your post. It appears that you are suggesting that certain members are "artificially inflating" other member's numbers. Is this what you are suggesting?

As for me, the last 8 received have an interesting breakdown. 2 mods, 3 blank, 2 from repeaters (3 from each), and 1 from a person who I would never think would hit me.

For me, the rep system is a great feedback system. I get private feedback from folks that I wouldn't otherwise get input from. A surprising amount of the feedback is from people who don't want to be the one to say what I'm willing to say. I've got a thick neck that I don't mind sticking out. I also enjoy the ability to specifically state why I'm giving rep points privately to the individual that I'm adding rep to. I haven't given out much rep as I tend to believe that rep should be earned. If I laugh out loud, I'll add rep. If I make a purchase based on a recommendation, I'll add rep. If I respect the argument presented (whether I agree or not), I'll add rep. There are several other reasons.

It would be nice if we could see who each hit was from as opposed to the anonymous hits.
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·..¸¸ ><((((º>`·.¸¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    With the cycle being you cannot "Re-Bling" a member until you bling 30 other members, and the daily quota of bling being less than 30, I think it'd be dern difficult to "give out kudos to each other over and over"...
    Thanks Hippie...That satisfies my question.
    Combat Vet by choice! Defender of this great nation and people (Which unfortunately also includes the stupid and the ignorant.)

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:_R_ZqAiK-e_U0M:<a href=http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/hockey/ARCTICLIONS/Ice_Puppies_Logo_Light_with_shading.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/ho...th_shading.jpg</a>

Support Youth Hockey!
    http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams...Y&s=hockey&t=c

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

daily quota is 6 in a 24 hour period.. that starts when you hit #1..and again it seems for each point.

so if you hit one point an hour 6 pm-12am you may again do so after the same hour, the next day...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Thanks Hippie...That satisfies my question.
    Satisfied enough to bling the response??

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Maybe it is a bit silly, but I don't identify myself when I give points because I don't want people to feel like they should give me points just to return the favor.

that's called the guilt factor.... I dont like anonyminity (uhh sp on that)

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i always signed the bag before i set it on fire and rang the bell to.....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

i always sign when i give rep...
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default I dont give and I dont get

I think it is silly.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

www.arcticconcealment.com

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    i always sign when i give rep...
    Me too except when I give reps to JOAT

Sorry that was me fat fingering it ...closed the box to early.
    "Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

Your Avatar should be enough to get a bunch of points thats one of my favorite movies.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Quote Originally Posted by wolfkiller View Post
    I think it is silly.
    It looks like you have gotten, you square isn't grey anymore!

Default The whole point

There's been a lot of discussion within the Moderator / Webmaster team about the reputation system. Some members like it, some don't, and there are extremes on both ends. Yes, we are aware that it is being abused. But we believe most of the silliness will settle down as the novelty wears off and it becomes a familiar tool.

The best beneficiaries are new users who don't know folks yet. Sure, they can look at the post count of a member, but how do they know it's not just someone with a big mouth or fast fingers? Maybe it's just a quiet person who occasionally posts something of real substance (we have some of those here, you know). Quantity is not an indicator of quality. A new user could look at the reputation of a poster as a way of determining credibility.

This is also a way we can support people who do a good job here. It's always nice when someone compliments you for doing good work, and though many of us have done that right in a given thread, this is another way to do the same thing, but in a way that travels with the person.

Personally I have mixed feelings about it. I see reputation points tossed around or bartered by people who either don't understand the purpose or don't care, and I see people who choose not to participate. To each his own, but in either case we miss out on the real benefits of the system.

The Moderators will continue watching it, eventually deciding whether or not it's working for these forums.

I hope the abuse stops soon so we can reap the real benefits. I am not dinging anyone for abusing the system, though some have asked me to. I think allowing them to look foolish in public is probably penalty enough.

To the majority of you who are using it as it was intended, THANK YOU!

Best regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Mike,

I couldn't argee with you more. When I joined this forum, something I noticed quickly was some people had A LOT of posts. But then I started noticing that many of them were simply "Nice sheep, you deserved it", etc.

I would much rather look for the thoughtful post from someone that is respected in the outdoors community here in Alaska.

I would like to see the ability to add/subtract points from the moderators as well. Some of you are better than others...

That explains it. I don't like this. I don't find 30 members worth blinging, and some members make posts worth 'blinging' every day. Yet another thing I don't care for in the whole scheme of rep points...maybe modify it so you can only hit a person once a day or every other day?

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Quote Originally Posted by wolfkiller View Post
    I dont give and I dont get... I think it is silly.
    Uhh... I hope you're single, as in not married

Default Dnot get it

I don't really get it and maybe someone can explain what all the fuss is over rep points and bling and whatever else is new here. I've been a member of the forum for a long time and have generally spent most of my time reading other peoples postings. This place is a wealth of valuable information and when I had a question about something I rarely had to post anything. I'd find that someone had already asked the question in mind. The few posts I have made were in an instance where I had a very specific question or to compliment someone on something they had said. Now it seems that in order to gain a reputation among the other members I am either forced to make many meaningless posts or sit and contemplate until I can think of something worthy of praise from someone else. Maybe just me but I don't really see the real value.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast