Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: bored... fly swap anyone?

Default bored... fly swap anyone?

I'm bored and need a little inspiration to get my fly tying juices flowing again. Anyone interested in participating in a fly swap? Anyone interested in facilitating? I know Wyatt has done so in the past and done a fantastic job... I don't want to step on anyone's toes by taking it over, just bored and wanting to see if anyone is interested.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Default Sure!

Sounds like it is about time! Run with it dude! I have some Big Head Bead Nymphs that should be against the law and would be willing to share a few :-)

Blue Moose

Thumbs up I'm In...

Unlike BlueMoose I do not have any flies that are illegal .

But, I'd be willing to tie something incredibly detailed like the ever evasive Russian River Fly tied only with Flashibou.

hehe

What's the rules?
    Can I use my woolly mammoth hair samples?

We need a little more interst before we get started, so I'll wait and see if some more folks volunteer to take part in this before getting too specific on details.

Any theme ideas? Or just tie whatever you feel like?
    Wooly mammoth hair if fine by me.

Of course, each participant would need to tie flies for everyone else (how many depends upon how many participants there are) and then mail them to the host, who will distribute them to everyone.
    www.akfishology.com

I'd be interested. I suspect that my wife would be willing to tye a set of flys as well.

Default Getting started

Just point and shoot I have about enough sitting around and will send however many people wish to utilize.

I want Wooly Hair!!!!

I would also like to change my position concerning the potential statement of Should Be Against the Law to "Noted as Anti Conservation Tool" It's a Yooper Thing and matches Paulson, Paulson and Paulson you all have to read Trout Magic and Trout Madness.

Thanks for getting this started.

Blue Moose

So far we have 5, which is a good start, but it would be nice to get a few more to participate, so I'll give it a couple more days to give everyone a chance to chime in.
    These people have volunteered so far:

BlueMoose
    Stogey
    Big Dog
    Big Dog's Wife
    Markw3

my recommendation for a theme is "your deadliest fly," and you should also include where it works and what it works for.

this theme will ensure that the flies you receive are actually useful. that's how I would prefer it, but if there are any objections let me know. i know your deadliest fly is rarely, if ever, the prettiest fly you tie - so this will be more than a beauty contest. I have participated in these things a handful of times in the past and the flies I get are pretty, but almost never see the water, or even my fly box. i'd personally rather get stuff that works, but maybe that's just me...

Anyways, I'll give it a couple days and we'll get this thing set by the weekend. I'll then give everyone 10 days or something like that to get the job done and get em' in the mail. I look forward to seeing some of your creations.
    www.akfishology.com

I'm in! I like the tying theme too. During the past swaps, we had trouble getting flies sent in by the agreed deadline. A 10 day window might be too soon for some unless they are serious. With Christmas around the corner, I would suggest a deadline early in January, although either works for me. If anyone else wants to coordinate...great, but I can if needed.

Wyatt

Do we need to coordinate to make sure there is no overlaping?

Default I can't resist........

You guys really want to swap flies? That just is sick and wrong......But, you really made me laugh and I hope you are too. Have a great day!

I never done a fly swap, sounds interesting, count me in...please post more details. Thanks!

so if we lock in the participants by tomorrow, how long does everyone need in order to get their flies tied?
    there are two ways to look at it... some people will have trouble tying this time of year because of family obligations, traveling, shopping, etc... but others will have more time to tie because of holiday vacations.
    everyone please let me know when you can have them done by and we'll set the deadline based on your responses.

Wyatt, if you would like to be the mailman, that would be great. Of course, we'll need an address to send to. If you're busy over the holidays and can't do it, let me know and I'll be your backup.

Everyone needs to be sure and check in from time to time because it's very frustrating when you have 7 or 8 people locked into a fly swap, only to have half of them flake on you, or be out of contact for 2 weeks...
    It should be fun, as usual, and I'm looking forward to adding some new bugs to my arsenal. I'll post the participants, guidelines, due date, and all other information by this weekend (either saturday or sunday)
    www.akfishology.com

Default so far....

Participants so far:

BlueMoose
    Stogey
    Big Dog
    Big Dog's Wife
    Markw3
    Wyatt
    Fishbone
    www.akfishology.com

I would love to get in on this also. I'm from alaska but now live in Oregon so i would love to send some of our special patterns from down here, maybe they'll work good back home. I'll be out of town for a week but will be back on the 12th.

Well I am pretty flexible. I should be able to get 20 flys done in 2 evenings with out too much trouble. My wife hasn't been tying quite as long so it might take her a bit longer. We would have to get our flies tied before Christmas. I might be out of contact for a bit following Christmas, but I should have all the flies tied and in the mail well before that.

orhunter - i found that a lot of the patterns that worked in oregon and montana also worked here in alaska from time to time - i'd love to have an oregonian in on the swap. I'll add you to the list.
    www.akfishology.com

Default Yes

Dozen flies per sitting... that's my norm. Unless they're streamers or something quite simple... then I tie until my neck hurts.

Ok here's the final list of fly swappers:

BlueMoose
    Stogey
    Big Dog
    Big Dog's Wife
    Markw3
    Wyatt
    Fishbone
    orhunter

That makes an even 8, which is a good number. If we tie enough for each person to receive three of each fly, that would be 21 total flies tied from each person. If we do 2 each, that will mean 14 from each person. I say we go for 2, plus 1 extra for the mail man (Wyatt), so that would make 15 total. Let's shoot for X-mas as the date to have them in the mail, which means everyone will receive their flies after the new year.
    www.akfishology.com

Summary of fly swap guidelines:

Theme: Your Deadliest Fly

Due Date: December 25

Number of Flies to Send: 15

Where to Send Them
    : Wyatt's address, which we don't know yet. Stay tuned, and if he can't do it, then I'll post my address instead.
    www.akfishology.com

Default Other fine print

I will PM each tyer with my contact info. Please include your return address, real name and user name when sending in your flies. Also, send me an email when you mail in your flies. I will take responsibility for return postage and posting fly pics to this thread.

Wyatt

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast