Thread: First Brown Bear

Default First Brown Bear

Just got back from the peninsula with my first brown bear. I shot my bear on the third day after passing on a smaller one on opening day. We didn't see a lot of bears but I was more than happy with the one I got. Hopefully a positive start to a good season. Sorry if it comes in blurry but I am not great at resizing pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Congrats, Ward! From the numerous bear reports on here over the last few weeks it seems like it's been a mixed bag, but it's great to see that another member was successful. Nice looking bear you got there!

-Brian

Nice bear, how about some details.

Default Nice bear...

how was your hunt? Was the weather any good for you? Any more details...

Good looking animal.

Tim

Default Dandy!!

For your first brown bear you did pretty darn good!! Looks like an awful nice bear. Congrats!! Come on with the story...can't hold out on us.

Default First brown bear

Congrats,

A nice looking bear, share the story

Doug

Default Sweet

Congrats on that nice brownie. Can't wait to hear all about it.

Default Congratulations!

Nice bear! Any rubs? Did you skin him for a rug mount, or are you going full-sized?

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Good job Kyle

Thats a dandy!

Default Details of the hunt

We started off opening day watching a sow and boar play around on the side of the mountain. When we spotted movement below them we thought we had more bears. Unfortunately the movement was two hunters. We actually watched them shoot both bears. One went down and the other ran off. We were totally preoccupied with the whole event and didn't notice the bear that had just crossed on the beach to our right. We drew straws and my name came up. I went after the bear with another guy but ended up stumbling on another bear that was sleeping in the alders. The bear was so tired he didn't even care that we were there. We watched him from about 75 yards for almost an hour trying to get him to stand up and give us a better look. I tried to talk my self into shooting him several times but thought he was probably a little to small for the first day. We saw one boar the rest of the day and the same bear the following day. He came out each night at around 10:30 p.m. on the opposite side of the bay. We also saw float plane after float plane and a couple boats come into the bay. I was really starting to kick my self for passing on the bear on opening day. The evening of the 12th we figured we would cross the bay and see if that boar would come out again and maybe let us get close. At about 10:45 p.m. we decide to head back to camp. When we rounded the corner to cross the bay we noticed what looked like a stump that was definetly not there before. When it moved we knew we had a bear. We moved around the edge of the beach trying to get closer. When we got into a comftorable range I set my rifle on my shooting stix and waited. He was working his way slowly towards us but shooting light was fading. He slowly turned around and began moving the other way and we figured it was now or never. My first shot hit him a little high and he buckled down. My buddy followed up with one additional shot and the bear fell flat. We could hardly control our emotions as we approached the downed bear. We all had different "ideal" bears. Mine was a dark colored bear with a big head. He was exactly what I was looking for. We came back the next morning and dressed him out. Getting the hide off while on the beach proved to be a true nightmare. We had a heck of a time keeping an edge on the knives. When the biologist sealed him he said the skull was 27 and 3/8 inches. We never measured the hide but I got him to the taxidermist to get the hide taken care of and he said it was around 9.5 ft. My other buddy shot his bear at 2:00 p.m. in the same general spot. We were taking a break from my bear when his bear came strolling down the beach. His was a blonde boar which was exactly what he was looking for. Sorry if I rambled on a little.

Congrats on an awesome bear! Well done. I got my first brownie this spring on Kodiak back in April.

Default Good stuff!

No need to apologize for rambling on... great post, nice bear!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default beach bear

man gotta love those bears on the beach, i'll sharpen my knives a hundred times rather than pack a bear out two miles!! great job, so much is right place right time and you got 'em both right. congrats on a great bear, be proud of that one, might not be able to top that one for a while...worth trying though!

Default Congrats

Great looking bear and good story. Thanks for sharing.