Thread: Insert Goo

Default Insert Goo

Is there an adhiesive for inserts that is better for the cold weather?

Curious as to why you ask. Are you having problems/issues with what you are using?

I had been shooting inside with no problems , set up a target outside today(-5) and when I pulled arrows out of the target on my second round 3 out of 4 inserts pulled out of the shafts.
    Gold Tip carbon arrows.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

2 part epoxy is all i use for inserts...I have used them down to -48
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I tried Gorilla glue, and wasn't paying attention while it expanded and buggered up my threads. I scraped and scraped and never got all of that glue out of the threads. I don't know how it holds up in the long run.

2 part epoxy, hot melt glue for inserts or super glue!!!

The secret to getting a good glue up on inserts is cleaning and prep of the carbon shaft. I use a rolled up piece of sand paper to burnish the inside of the shaft then clean with alcohol before gluing. BTW you can buy a tool made specifically for cleaning up the inside of the shaft but sand paper is cheaper.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Default bore brush

For the Gold tip arrows, a .30 cal bore brush works perfect for prepping the shaft. Just clamp the brush in a pair of vise grips. I used to do the sand paper thing, but a buddy turned me onto the brush, much easier.

Jake

Great idea Jake!
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    Great idea Jake!
    No doubt, rep added!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

the bore brush is a great idea. i will try that next time i am buildiig ..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Bore brush and cordless drill.

Thanks for all of the info. I went with the 2 part epoxy. was out shooting today (-10) it seemed to hold up fine. I also used a bore brush to cleen the end of the arrows , worked great.
    Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by WHLSUP View Post
    Thanks for all of the info. I went with the 2 part epoxy. was out shooting today (-10) it seemed to hold up fine. I also used a bore brush to cleen the end of the arrows , worked great.
    Thanks again!

I guess i should have mentioned that if your building to install broadheads... that a slower setting epoxy is good. that way you can install the insert and rotate is after installing the broadhead to tune it to your fletches...and balance. once i have the lined up and spinning good. set them carefully aside to dry.

meet on face book here