Thread: Dingy Rack

Question Dingy Rack

Looking for opinions. I have a 20' SeaRunner and put my 8' Avon raft on top of the bimini. It only weighs 40lbs so I don't think there's a weight issue, however the bungie cords rub the fabric when in tow. I was wondering if anyone has fabricated a rack over a bimini for a dingy. Any personal experience would be much appreciated.

Doug
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Default Yep...

I too run a 20' Sea Runner w/ a soft top.. I had a rack built by Silver Streak Boats on Dimond D (behind West Marine). It ran me about $400 and works great.

I'm going to search for the thread but this was discussed and I included photos... Let me see if I can find it... If not I'll PM ya...

I HIGHLY recommend NOT running your inflatable on top of the canvas... Friction will destroy it well before the impact/weight...

Default Here it is...

Here is the link to the first thread...

In my post is a link to the photo....

Later,

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=27424

Default Silver Streak

Doug,
    There have been pictures on the forum of the rack you seek, where on the forum who knows? I keep mentioning the boat in Peters' Creek that is identical to yours with the really nice rack, but I would guess it's covered or stored and that's a drive out there. The simplest solution would probably be Silver Streak, bring out one of your cad drawings and show him what you want.

Had this one made by Karold's in Fairbanks.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Thumbs up

That is an awesome set up Steve! Is that PWS? Also, explain that pully set up, is that connected to the kicker or something else, is it a pot puller also?

Yes it was PWS.

The lift is a Spitz Lift. It is a portable hoist that will lift 500 lbs. I use it to do all the heavy lifting.

I also have a ACE pot puller. Not the best but better than by hand.

This rig works well on the sound it is a fairly safe rig, I'm ever mindful of the weather with it.

With the prop it is great on gas and more than enough power, the jack plate lets me runs shallow and the small jet outboard serves as a back up power supply and the engine for the inflatable that I take as well.

Steve
    Founding Member

Smile

Steve, do you take that inflatable with you on the other boat or just use them independently? What is the hoist used for, moose, or other stuff? I have the ACE and love it, I always leave the main engine on while pulling the pots, seems to run stronger or makes me feel like it does anyway. That inflatable is my dream dipnetting boat set up!

I too leave the main engine running while pulling pots and it does make a difference. If you look in the picture with my Wolly you will see the transom and the Jet Ranger folded up in the gray bag. I deflate it and haul it to the area I'm going to hunt then blow it up and use the hoist to lift the engine over to the inflatable. That little Jet Ranger runs me up the shallow tidal streams that feed the sound and thats where I have my best luck. I then either drive it or tow it around the sound. I use the hoist to lift anything heavy, gas cans, big halibut, bears, ect.....

Steve
    Founding Member

Default The spitz lift...

Steve, can you post a picture of the mounting of that lift. I like that. I am an amature metal fabrcator and would like to build something like that for my boat.

I used the universal mount and added a piece of plate under it. Here is a link to the mount. Mounted it in the corner using the transom. Don't have any pictures right now.
    http://www.spitzlift.net/products/universal.htm

Steve
    Founding Member

Nice photos Steve. It looks like you have a pretty well thought out boat. Thanks for sharing.
    Ryan Tollefsen
    Prudential Jack White Vista Real Estate

Alaska Real Estate
    Anchorage Real Estate

Thumbs up Your rack

What material is used on the top? It looks like expanded metal. I didn't realize they had it in aluminum. Thanks for sharing. It totally looks like you got it figured out.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Default Rack

Based upon the recommendations I read here in the forum, I contacted Gary at Greatland Welding and hauled my boat out there last week. Gary is installing a raft rack with a radar arch on the boat. My boat is a Trophy 1902 with a soft top.

Gary was extremely helpful in the planning and layout of the rack/arch. All the folks I talked to out at Greatland were very courteous and helpful. When I get it back I'll put a picture in here.

After a couple of blind runs this last summer in PWS through thick pea soup fog (well, we sure weren't running--creeping is a better description, eyes glued to the GPS and other crew straining to see into the fog), I am sure I will breath easier with a radar. I purchased the Furuno 1623 with 2.2kw dome.

Larry

Steve,
    You should be a salesman for Alaska Series and Spitzlift. Been planning to put a rack/roll bars on my North River to hold my 12' inflatable and use the 20hp w/prop as a kicker. The inflatable has an aluminum floor making it heavy to lift and horsing the motor on and off by hand has kept me from following up. Duh..My back is already toast from previous decisions to lift heavy objects. I remember someone posting pictures of the same lift mounted on a pickup and lowering a Jet Ranger into the water (I'm guessing that was you.) Thanks for posting the link to the lift. The big question now is whether I give my current inflatable rig a try or sell it and get a Jet Ranger. This forum can get expensive.