Thread: first deer in 10 years with factory ammo

northern n.y. and much of the eastern U.S.

Default first deer in 10 years with factory ammo

Hello all, A couple of weeks ago I was at a gun show, and of course I brought a "little" money. The mistake happened when I asked a guy if I could hold a browning model 78. I just wanted to see how it balanced, you know, with it's octagon barrel and all chambered in 45-70. I'd never held one before. Well needless to say she hung quite comfortably by my side as I closed my eyes and invisioned myself and it slipping through the eastern woods. As I awoke from my "dream" the money changed hands and so did the rifle. I didn't want to take the time to wait for the reloading dies, so I bought a couple of boxes of the earlier Hornady loads, you know, those funny looking 325's with the red tip. Well, last night a good sized doe came within about 30-40 yards of the end of the Brownings barrel, she was quartering toward me and stopped with the wind in her favor, I thought I'd better pick-a-spot and start squeezing. As the little gun recoiled gently, I saw her "kind of crowch" like she was startled by the shot, but then she just "wheelied" over backwards and twitched. The bullet entered the "point of the near shoulder," and exited around the middle of the ribcage on the other side about where the diaphram attaches. I was quite impressed to see her just go down like that. I've put a lot of deer in the freezer over the years with all kinds of bullets and slugs moving at various velicities, but this was really different. Is the 45-75 performance unique ?

I shot a small yearling buck at 20 yards with a flat nosed 45-70 bullet. I hammered him through both lungs. He ran in a circle around me and stopped 20 yards in the other direction from me.. I hammered him again and hit within an inch of the first shot. I actually blew his heart out the exit hole. He still stood for a few more seconds before going down. Those little guys can take a bit of lead. The next deer, three hours later dropped in his tracks when I hit him from 125 yards. All animals are different. You really never know what they are going to do.

Yes they are magic in a way.When I finely decided I needed a brown bear rug as always I grabed my 45/70. Used 350 gr. Hornady RN at 1880 fps.At fifty yards he was stareing at me and getting dark.Hit under the chin and went stright out his backside takeing out his spine a foot above his tail.At the shot he disappered and I asked my back-up why no shot and he said it just went away.The bear was standing on a little knoll,dark enough we didn't notice. He just slid back far enough to be out of sight but stone cold dead.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

I use the marlin guide gun. and a few years back i dropped a 900 lb cow moose walking straight at me at 60 yards. This is NOT a shot i like to take and for good reason.. the slug rolled off the chest and went behind the shoulder never entering her chest cavity... but being the 400 gn slug she took four steps and lay down.. i finished her off with my 9mm to the back of the head. I was amazed at the effect of the shot when i took it. i was more so at the effect on the animal after i skinned it and found my slug between the shoulder and rib..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Of all the moose I've shot or seen shot the 45/70 had the most visible effect(not counting spine/major frame). Alot of times moose show no sign of being hit, but not so with the 45/70. I've shot a BIG black bear with it too, and it really whopped him. A client shot him 1st with his 340 weatherby and it definatley would have killed him, but when I hit him with a 400 gr Barnes original @1850fps he augered in nose 1st and did a complete flip and never regained his feet.

I finished a moose @ point blank range and the slug was under the skin on the far side. My buddy was talking smack that his 375 would have blown right through and it would have and the dirt would have absorbed alot of the energy. I think that's what makes the 45/70 such a shock & awe killer, it tends to dump all it's energy in the animal(soft point bullets/large animals)

My .02

KK