Thread: Some ADFG data on 20A moose

Default Some ADFG data on 20A moose

In another thread on a primer on aerial population estimates Vince asked some questions about 20A moose movements, densities, and what the preferred bull:cow ratios were.

I'm going to paste in some data from various ADFG presentations given to ACs in the interior, from the moose mgmt workshop in Fbks, etc. All the pics are courtesy ADFG Division of Wildlife Conservation. Wish I could upload the entire presentations; most are powerpoint presentations from various meetings.

I'm gonna have to do this in several posts cuz only three images allowed per post, so bear with me.

First I'll start with moose migration definitions and patterns:

Thanks Bushrat...

Default more on moose ranges and movements

Default Moose densities in 20A

Default How high densities can affect browse/nutrition

Next pic is from 20D but situation is comparable in 20A:

Next graph includes several interior units and shows how we can use twinning rates of cows to determine browse conditions and nutrition. Note that for Unit 25D that has a very low moose density that the twinning rates are very high, indicating plenty of good browse and good nutrition, but that in 20A the twinning rate is much lower than the norm indicating poor browse and likely overpopulation of moose:

And last, a summary of mgmt issues for 20A:

Default Inre bull:cow ratio question

Goal ADFG is shooting for is a post-hunt bull:cow ratio for 20A (and some adjacent units) of 30:100.

Hope this answers most of the questions, ran out of time to get more data uploaded. Mucho thanks to Tom Paragi - ADFG Intensive Management coordinator, area biologists Don Young and Tom Seaton, and Kalin Kellie for this information gleaned from their presentations.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

thanks Mark... and i know you anticipated this question...

is this, the data they are still using? or is there. has there, been done sinse the inception of the cow hunts in 04?

30/100 ratio? wow thats a lot higher then i see...about 1/15...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Last data I have is from late 2006 Vince. Not sure what was done in 2007 inre surveys, though there is continuous research going on. Actually, this is about the most researched moose population in North America.

I want to stress that what you "see" as far as bulls and cows wherever you are doesn't reflect on what is happening unit-wide. There are some low density and some high density areas within the unit.

If you ever have a chance, stop by the College Rd ADFG office, walk into the reception desk and ask to speak to any of the people I mentioned by way of thanks for their presentations. Or call first and set up a meeting. My experience has been that the bios are more than willing to talk and get you what info you are looking for, or answer questions. They also like to hear about what you are seeing where you hunt.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    Last data I have is from late 2006 Vince. Not sure what was done in 2007 inre surveys, though there is continuous research going on. Actually, this is about the most researched moose population in North America.

I want to stress that what you "see" as far as bulls and cows wherever you are doesn't reflect on what is happening unit-wide. There are some low density and some high density areas within the unit.

If you ever have a chance, stop by the College Rd ADFG office, walk into the reception desk and ask to speak to any of the people I mentioned by way of thanks for their presentations. Or call first and set up a meeting. My experience has been that the bios are more than willing to talk and get you what info you are looking for, or answer questions. They also like to hear about what you are seeing where you hunt.
    I am aware of that mark.. thanks but MY personal travels APR/Oct cover a HUGE portion of the ferry trail management area.. I am just curious as all, i can see the 99-03 data density and see that they are high in the same areas i see them... IN the fall.. over the last several years.. however are not there in the summers.. and a lot less so this last season...

looking at the travel maps. it is obvious the annual travel is in to the hill around me and to the flats and over to Delta..

This year has been a funny year.. i have seen things i have never seen the like of before.. hence the sudden concern...

tons of bears, lots of LITTLE moose. fewer cows by a long shot. and only 2 bulls over 50" all year long..

90% of the four brow tiners i saw were at 43-47 inches... the rest were smaller...

over the last several years i have seen MANY big bulls ( and i understand the rack/age/ brow tine breeding thing) this year NONE of them were there

in part we did FLOOD the heck out of every thing this July and August.

so that may be part...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    Key words:

…..Need to focus hunters into areas where moose density is still high……

I agree Mark it does seem pretty clear that major damage can be done by overharvesting even a small area especially if it disrupts the ancient migratory paths by killing the cows that teach them to their young.

[QUOTEKey words:

Quote:
    …..Need to focus hunters into areas where moose density is still high…… ][/QUOTE]

and herein lay the problem. one of the more popular units,

huge huge Controlled use area. (plural)
    limited access for the average person.. and increased use of "any bull" permits rather then lowering antler restrictions for all....

meet on face book here