Thread: Solar battery chargers?

Default Solar battery chargers?

Hi,
    I am thinking of going on a multi day backpacking trip in Alaska this spring/summer. I did a quick search online, but I am not sure if what I found is any good, so I figured I'd ask here.
    Is there such a thing as a solar camera battery chrager? or do most people just take lots of batteries with them if they go for an extended amount of time?
    Thank you,
    -k

I have read up on the Brunton solar chargers. Sounds like they would be ideal for your use. Below is a thread from a photography forum I frequent with good insights on solar chargers.

http://photo.net/nature-photography-forum/00NucL
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default Thanks

Great, thanks so much for the link, I will check it out!!!

I read in the current (January) Backpacker magazine just now about some chargers and such. Page 87 "Portable Power". They mention a few products but these two were the most relevant.

Duracell PowerSource Mini $60 www.duracellpower.com

Brunton Solaris and Solo www.brunton.com

My suggestion if your concern is camera batteries only, buy a few extra batteries. I got a Canon 40D last year and have taken 600+ pictures on one charge. Amazing what these new lithium ion batteries can do.

I see you are in Maine. I have been on Nantucket for two years working. Been up to Maine several times. Beautiful state. This is a good time of year for us to tweak our gear list. Getting nasty out.

Below are a few pics from Maine...

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I went on a three week float trip a couple years back. I just packed more batteries for my Canon DSLR. I ordered a bunch of 1500 mAh lithium batteries from an eBay seller for less than $10 each. It was the cheapest, most compact, and lightest way to go. Rechargeable lithiums hold a charge very well.

We also had one of the rafts fitted with a 4x5' fold out solar charger that was used to keep a couple laptops with satellite phone uplinks running. He used excess power to fuel a few point & shoots, but he ran out of excess power power a week before the trips end. There were some unhappy snappers.

The problem with solar chargers in AK is the undependable weather. They still work a little in heavy overcast, but if you use a large enough solar panel for sufficient power in foul weather, you will be packing a lot of charger.

Smile Thanks

I just wanted to say thanks for all the info and the links.
    I guess for me it will pay to just buy some extra batteries. I was just curious about this whole solar chargers topic and I definitley learned a lot!
    Also dan, those pictures you took in Maine are beautiful! I am glad you liked the state!

Maine is beautiful. We are going back to Kennebunkport Dec 20-23. There is a new Cabelas about 25 miles north of there I am wanting to check out. Of course we will take the trip to LL Bean in Freeport as well I will look forward to photographing the Nubble Light with its Christmas lighting. Lovely area.

A few more Maine pics for anyone interested...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2114408...7603817533952/