Thread: January in Minto

Default January in Minto

Anybody have an experience with the the Minto Village/Flats area in January? I'm really looking for typical road conditions between F-banks and Minto, trails and conditions, logistics (is there a gas station in Minto?). I'm not looking to bogart your personal hunting space, but anything else that you all might be able to float my way would be highly appreciated. Thanks a ton.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by smallmonzter View Post
    Anybody have an experience with the the Minto Village/Flats area in January? I'm really looking for typical road conditions between F-banks and Minto, trails and conditions, logistics (is there a gas station in Minto?). I'm not looking to bogart your personal hunting space, but anything else that you all might be able to float my way would be highly appreciated. Thanks a ton.

yeah ask permission and offer to pay to park you car/truck near anyones land....folks in minto are great, a few are also territorial with out side hunter/fishermen..... in minto it is all ways better to ask permission first then forgiveness later...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Good advice

Thanks, I didn't know Minto fell into that category. Thanks again.

Yes there is a gas station. Good folks. Tie into an elder if you can for the "permission."

Default Dumb question

So being pretty unfamiliar with the people and the place, how should I do that? Do I just go up on Friday afternoon and start talking to people, or is there a socially proper thing to do? I really don't want to offend anyone who lives there, or depends on this land...thanks.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

it is along the same lines of asking the farmer if you can hunt his fields.

you show up ahead of time introduce your self ask. get permission. and then come back and hunt.. my strong advice is that especially in the event of an older person allows you room to stay.. that a front should gets left behind if your sucsessfull...OFFER to pay for parking your truck. they may or may not accept anything.

be a neighbor. and not a "BUSY GUY" from town..

years ago i learned that village life is much more laid back and simple...

when on the job. i was routinely offered Coffee, tea, a glass of home made wine.. it is your politeness to accept at least once.

it is sharing among neighbors... my supervisor showed up in suit and tie one day.. and said no to coffee... and he wondered why later folks would not talk to him..be polite, offer to pay, or offer to help haul something from town when you return. and when your successful offer them a portion.

you'll find your returns easier the next time..

keep in mind that the last few years this registration hunt has happened there has been a lot of resentment about how it is being run.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Too easy

That sounds about like what I figured. I plan on making a trip up this weekend to familiarize myself with the area/people. If the villages are as laid back as they sound I think it will work out fine; I'm not too wound up myself when it comes to hunting. Thanks for the info folks. Has anyone ever run down winter cat trail (the eastern boundary)? Where can I access it? Snow conditions?