Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Winter gloves?

Default Best Winter gloves?

I thought I would start a thread about the best winter gloves.

I'm a fan of the Hestra Goretex XCR gloves. I had a pair of the CPG Heli gloves and they were nice, but the XCR's are even nicer. I've struggled with other gloves. They are spendy but worth in IMHO. I shouldn't need to buy more ski gloves for a few years.
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·..¸¸ ><((((º>`·.¸¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

I have struggled with winter gloves myself. I guess the best I have run across for price and durability has been the Ice Armour line.

I use the lighter weight ones for snowmachining and they actually get a little warm.

I also have some for ice fishing, always keep me dry and warm.

I have some pinnacle gore-tex gloves from cabelas that i have used for everything outdoors in teh winter, fishing, snowmachining and never had a problem with my fingers getting cold, sometimes they get to warm and my hand sweats (only in hard riding)

"I Envy Him And Him Only, That Catches More Fish Than I Do" Izaac Walton 1653
    The question of hunting is not a matter of life or death... it's more important than that

I wear a pair of cold weather leather mittens that are similar to the mittens that are typically found at army surplus stores, but mine have more insulation. Under the mittens I've found the best pair of gloves for added warmth is the Jacob Ash Merino Wool Gloves. This is a great combo in cold weather if they are kept dry. The only problem I've found with the wool gloves if they collect snow when the mitten is removed the hand warmth and will melt the snow then freeze. Otherwise this combo will keep my hands warm at sub-zero temps all day.

I've tried gortex gloves, super cold weather mittens, fleece, and so on but I keep returning to the wool/gauntlet mitten combo. The other gloves simply have not kept my hands warm while ice fishing, hunting, and trapping.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Trout View Post
    I have some pinnacle gore-tex gloves from cabelas that i have used for everything outdoors in teh winter, fishing, snowmachining and never had a problem with my fingers getting cold, sometimes they get to warm and my hand sweats (only in hard riding)
    I'm glad the gloves have worked out for you but I had a very different experience with these gloves. From the get go they were not waterproof. My hands would not stay warm in the pinnacle gloves and the dangling synch string was constantly getting hung up on objects. I eventually cut the string. When snow stuck to the glove it would melt, seep through to my hand, and freeze. After pulling my hand out of the wet or frozen glove it seemed impossible to line up the liner with the fingers again. It took me a two years to finallly come to my senses and toss them in the trash.

Just my experience.

I really like the refridgerwear gloves that AIH carries. They seem to keep my hands warm down to -20 or so and you have pretty good dexterity too.

Military snot wipers.

Wink monkey gloves

water gremlin i agree about the string thingy...its kinda lame. The funny thing is, is that I only were the gloves when i'm doing work around the cabin or just ridin into the cabin also coming back from a long ride since i'm not moving much. I end up wearing just plain cotton monkey gloves because my hands get too hot and they are a bit bulky for hard riding. Then when they get wet...switch them out and keep on goin

"I Envy Him And Him Only, That Catches More Fish Than I Do" Izaac Walton 1653
    The question of hunting is not a matter of life or death... it's more important than that

How much (ballpark) do you spend on good gloves?

I've cheapskated every pair of gloves until the last few years. I got a pair of Heli Pro's from Chugach Powder Guides. I spent $130 yesterday on the Hestras. They retail for about $150. I hope to get 4-5 years out of these. I wore out 3 pair last year (skiing, snowboarding, and snowmachining). Here's what they look like:

The wrist wraps are so convenient. I slap them on under my wrist wrap. The gloves are almost impossible to lose. I like to protect my hands, feet, and head.

I havn't found a pair of gloves that I love just yet. I do have a pair of mittens that are great though.

grandoe makalu extreme condition gore-tex® mitts I have warn them to -40 and been toasty warm!

I had a couple pair of Grandoes, not the mitts. The light material on the thumbs got caught in my snowboard bindings. The right thumb on both pair was duct taped on the first day. The liners also separated from the glove.

I can't remember the style name. I know that I won't buy another pair. It seems like they were the Hillary's or something (named after a mountain climber).

I have always been partial to leather gloves. Ever since my first pair of Hotfingers in the 70's.

I have had a pair of leather SWANY gloves that I use for ski patrolling here in Fairbanks for years and I love them. They work great down to alteast 15 below, probably not a 40 below glove but for skiing I am really happy with them. I just seem to tear up fabric gloves.

Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post
    I had a couple pair of Grandoes, not the mitts. The light material on the thumbs got caught in my snowboard bindings. The right thumb on both pair was duct taped on the first day. The liners also separated from the glove.

I can't remember the style name. I know that I won't buy another pair. It seems like they were the Hillary's or something (named after a mountain climber).
    So far I have quite a few hours in the Makalu mitts and there is no sign of wear yet.

Smile RefrigiWear leather

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    I really like the refridgerwear gloves that AIH carries. They seem to keep my hands warm down to -20 or so and you have pretty good dexterity too.
    I'll second this one. I have spent many, many a day below zero in these. The cost is only about $25.00 also.

Good gloves for doing what? The activity determines the gloves.

Riding a snowgo or showshoeing? MSR Cold Pro or Klim. R U Outside makes some nice ones, too. If it gets cold and I'm sitting around I whip out some trusty REI thinsulate GoreTex gloves that I've had for years. (MSR in this case means Malcolm Smith Racing.)

Default Gloves from AIH

Pretty much the only ones I use anymore are some gloves I buy from AIH. They are black and tan. The black is fleece on the top and tan is a leather type fingers and underside. They are called Heat locks. Sell for about $7.00 and keep your hands warm. They dry out easily, they are disposable if needed. I carry about 5 pairs with me, when one gets too wet, it goes in the box and a new pair comes out. I get them home or to the cabin and they are easily dried out. I am very fortunate to have very good circulation through my hands, so I really don't get cold.

I've never found a really good glove for everything...so I just bring lots of gloves along with me. Sometimes I make it the whole day with just one set when it's cold and dry out, but will burn up all three sets when I'm riding in warm deep powder conditions and sleds are stuck all the time. I will ride with a minimum of three pairs of the gloves below and at least three sets of polypro liners.

I tear up anything that isn't leather. I've yet to have a nylon or synthetic glove hold up while riding my snowmachine or doing winter chores. Right now my favorite glove is a Kinco water resistant pig skin glove with a flourescent orange back and reflective tape on them. My friends that work for the railroad turned me on to them and they are great gloves. They are insulated enough to go down to -20F for me when doing outside chores or riding the snowmachine. They are ugly as hell, but work great. I retail them for around $12.00 and they hold up longer and are warmer than gloves I have paid 5times as much for.

Once it's colder than that it's time for mittens. Usually I use a set of OR overmits over the gloves above.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    So far I have quite a few hours in the Makalu mitts and there is no sign of wear yet.
    I think the problem was spawned by the bindings that I use more than anything else. The soft material in the thumbs (which is softer and lighter than the other (cordura?) material. I use Flow bindings with the swinging hi back. The thumb got caught and tore right away. The liners held up for probably 30 days of constant wear (ride or ski most of the day then driving snowcats a couple of days/week, plus maintenance and inspections). Good luck with them. The fuzzy mittens look comfy.

I like these but they cost a few $$$$:
    http://military.outdoorresearch.com/...oves_awdg.html
    "Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast