Thread: after market synthetic stocks

Default after market synthetic stocks

I've been browsing my Midway Shooter's Supply catalog, looking at the options for re-stocking several rifles with a better stock than the flimsy and flexible "tupperware" stocks they came with. I don't need the very best, as the rifles themselves are not top-of-the-line customs, but I don't want to waste money on something that doesn't really increase performance and durability. Looks are second in priority to performance and durability.

I'm looking for a synthetic stock that is will improve accuracy, is durable, and is a good value. Light weight and looks would be bonuses, but not main factors. Basically I want to put a stock on will give the greatest increase in accuracy, durability, and reliablity for the best price.

The cheapest option is a Bell and Carlson Duramaxx, for right close to $100. Good value, or not really an upgrade at all?

Next up is Bell and Carlson Carbelite, for closer to $150-$200.

The Hogue Overmolded stocks run about $110 for pillar bedded and $200 for full bedded versions. Are they better than the Bell and Carlson stocks?

Then there are the McMillans and HS Precision stocks. These are closer to $400-450, and in many cases would be worth more than the rifle. Unless there aren't any decent cheaper options (are there?), I guess I'd pass.

Any other ideas or options that I'm overlooking?

I realize that not all stocks are available for all rifles, but if you have experience with any of these I'd appreciate your input.

Read this before thinking about H&S
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=42686

Carbelite B&C stocks ain't bad and Hogue about the same. I think the Ruger stocks though ugly reduce felt recoil better than the above.The more expencive ones may be better but I can't afford one so don't know.
    For the price of all the restocking you could just slip in another gun.

I know it's a big chunk of change, but if you're going upgrade give strong consideration to the McMillan. I'd rather have one or two rifles with top notch stocks than a 1/2 dozen with mediocre stocks.

I put a Hogue with the full bedding block on a Ruger 77 7x57 and it is definitely durable.......but it is anything but lightweight. I really like it, but I'm thinking of swapping it out for something a bit lighter for sheep hunting.
    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! (Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945)

I own several McMillans and a few B&C's. McMillans are far and away the better stock. If you watch the classified ads on the various shooting forums, you can pick them up cheaper and without the several month wait time.

Save your money and order a McMillan built for your LOP. You will not regret it.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Save your money and order a McMillan built for your LOP. You will not regret it.
    What's the best way to measure your LOP?

Default Dang!

Awwww heck! I was afraid of that, which is of course why I asked! I was hoping somebody would give me reason to believe that I could get 95% of the benefit of a top-dollar stock for half the price. Sometime the world works that way, but consensus seems to be that when it comes to stocks you get what you pay for. I asked another buddy who has built several custom rifles and he said about the same.

I guess I'll go haunt the classifieds and gun shows for a McMillan stock for my Model 70 375 H&H. I was also considering buying a new Savage Weather Warrior, Remington 700 SPS, or Howa 1500 (which comes with a Hogue stock) and then putting a new stock on it, but it seems maybe I should consider upgrading the stock straight from the factory. It's funny how rifle and trigger quality has generally gone up and up, but the quality of factory synthetic stocks has actually gone down, in my opinion.

Is reinforcing/stiffening a factory stock a decent option?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by 1911-MW View Post
    What's the best way to measure your LOP?
    Here's an article.

http://www.gundogsonline.com/Article...Pull-Page1.htm

or you can buy a special measuring stick
    http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sto...ail.aspx?p=387

Default restocking

after going to the trouble and expense of upgrading one of my old favorite rifles with a B&C carbelite stock, I woulda went a different way if I had a do over. Works fine but I had to do a good bit of shaping to get it to fit and it looks like, well the plastic stock it is. Also on the magnum caliber had to go with an embedded block which upped the price. Add in the recoil pad and a custom LOP and I might as well have gone with the McMillan from the get go. Or maybe just went with a brand new rifle like someone else mentioned.