Thread: Attention cessna owners!!!

Exclamation Attention cessna owners!!!

FAA just announced findings in the fatal crash of a 180 last year that killed an Anchorage city official. The pins that hold the seat in place failed, causing the seat to slide off its base and the pilot to lose control of the aircraft (he couldn't get to the controls). They also reported that Cessna provides a free backup system to prevent this from occurring, but only about 10% of all Cessnas in Alaska are equipped with them. The setup will only be offerred until May. Please, if you fly a Cessna, check into it! It could save your life, and a free insurance policy usually makes good sense!

Default Im learning from it!

Lets just say when heard about this last night it instantly became another double check on the before take-off list! (cessna or not) SEAT SECURE!

Cessna seat lock failures are not news. I've used saf-t-stop or aerostop seat locks for 15 years. Like most Cessna pilots I know, I'm not interested in the Cessna version and will continue to use the aerostop.

Ya, this problem is not a new one and has been around for a few years. It is actually an AD, i don't remember the AD number but i can get it if someone wants. The AD involves measuring the seat pin engagement and cheching the holes on the seat rails.

Default Yup.. Ad 87-20-03 r2

Here is a link to it.

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Gu...0?OpenDocument

It MUST be done at every annual for part 91, or every 100 hr. if used for hire.

Never a bad idea to use an additional seat stop as well.

Chris
    Last edited by Chris_Stout; 12-03-2008 at 23:27. Reason: link, info.

Default Pins

Did the pins fail to lock into the rails or did the pins shear ?
    You've always had to do the "Cessna Shuffle", even when I was flight training 20 years ago. That's one of the things my instructer insisted on.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default Pins

It was never a secret about the cessna seat problems, As brav01 said, I think it is more common in flight training aircraft due to numerous pilot's always moving the seat around. About 5 years ago, in a rented Cessna 172 I had a seat prob, luckly they had a seat stop and nothing happened. Just goes to show you cant even take little things for granted.

Terry

Default yeah, old news, but......

I think the point is Cessna is giving out a FREE restraint system. I will probably continue to use the safeTstop myself but I'm dang sure going to get my FREE parts from Cessna whether I install them or not. As much as they charge for all their parts, this is my small victory against "the man" too!

Cessna's solution requires a bracket to be installed to the floor and an inertial reel to be installed on the pilot seat base frame. The reel holds a cable that attaches to the bracket. The reel interfaces with the seat release lever so that when you lift the lever the reel is released. You can't get just the parts. The install must be performed by a Cessna service center and logbook notations made. The kit weighs 3 1/2#. In my case the reel interferes with my seat-mounted fire extinguisher. I'm happy leaving well enough alone. My AeroStop works perfectly and I like simplicity. Cessna's motive is all about CYA for liability. One advantage of the Cessna solution is that it's passive. I'm the only pilot of my plane so I don't care about the passive advantage. I would like to see one installed. I may change my mind and get one installed just for future resale value, and liability CYA value.

The program is good through December of '09 according to AeroTwin. I happened to be there yesterday and asked, and was shown a kit, too.

By the way, 150, 152, and a couple of 210 models are not eligible.

Default OK

"The install must be performed by a Cessna service center and logbook notations made."
    So you are telling me an A&P/IA can't install and sign for the install? Find that a little hard to believe.
    Also I fully understand the system and how it works. I agree its overkill and borderline ridiculous.
    My point is: Even if you don't put it in, you get the parts. THEY'RE FREE. Put them in a box in storage. Might as well go write Cessna a check for $500 if you don't take their FREE parts kit!! Hell, give me your kit if you really don't want to take their money.

I just checked. You can have your mechanic do the install. The parts will cost you around $150 and that expense is reimbursed along with a labor allowance after you provide proof of installation. Or you can just have it done at a service center for free.

The phone is a powerful tool.

Default thanks

I was actually being sarcastic. My mechanic is me. I know full well I can install it. Knowledge is an even more powerful tool.

I knew that. I was sarcastic as well. The internet's a powerful tool, too. How are those seat rail drawings that I sent you working out?

Default Nice

HEY YOU ITS ME! Heck, you dang sure oughtta get them free parts!! Cessna surely has gotten a dime or two from ya over the years.

I'm sure with ya though. I don't think I'd ever install that dang thing. I just want some of my money back even if its in useless parts.....

By the way I found out the seat tracks were OK but I changed out for new ones anyway. Go figure that logic. Figured McFarlane needed some of my money too. HA!