Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Halibut Rig Rigging

Default Halibut Rig Rigging

I plan on making my own Halibut rigs this year and would like to get some input on methods.

Who uses the crimping tool and pro's & con's.
    Who ties by hand, and what knots do you use.
    What leader material and brand/size hooks.

Haven't decided on a method yet so, lot's of advice is welcome.

I use both gagnon line and heavy mono. Most of my bait rigs are gagnon, with a sliding swivel for attaching the weight. I use either a basic overhand knot in a loop, then loop it through/over the swivel or hook. The other knot that is a bit more elegant is a Perfection Knot. Google it, very easy to tie once you figure it out from the diagrams. There is a gagnon knot too, but I've had difficulty finding it online last I looked.

I also use the heavy mono with crimps. I use this for some squid jigs and for jig leaders between my main line (braided) and the weighted jigs like lead-heads. Gives me something to grab as I try to control a fish at the surface. These work great, but may be a bit more susceptible to abrasion than the gagnon.

I use J-hooks on jigs only, circle for bait. 16/0 to 18/0 for most bait, maybe a 20/0 if I want to soak a big salmon head. Doesn't seem to be much difference in hookup percentage.

Good luck!

Chris

I use Gagione line religiously. It and 16/0 Gamakatsu circle hooks with a big corkscrew swivel for my leads.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default my rigs seem to work well

i start out with a three way swivel and i use 100# mono. on one side ill crimp the mono with maybe a foot of leader finished with a corkscrew swivel. this is where the weight goes. on the other side ill have about a foot and a half of leader and ill crimp on a circle hook to finish the rig. this way, when you get to the fishing hole you just attach your weight and bait and send it to the bottom. i havent lost a fish to date. alot of people are anti crimp but it hasnt let me down so far.

how well does Parachute cord work?

Default Cheap ol me

I use weed eater mono, comes in a few colors, WOW, and then I crimp. Can't remember one breaking in 20 years.

0----------------------\-------------------\-----------------o
    \ \
    J J

heay duty swivel 3 way 3 way small swivel clasp
    swivel swivel small so if weight
    hook hook gets hung up
    the clap opens

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    I use Gagione line religiously. It and 16/0 Gamakatsu circle hooks with a big corkscrew swivel for my leads.

Second that. Keep it simple. The line I have is soft, so I add about foot of tube.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by Mort View Post
    I use both gagnon line and heavy mono. Most of my bait rigs are gagnon, with a sliding swivel for attaching the weight. I use either a basic overhand knot in a loop, then loop it through/over the swivel or hook. The other knot that is a bit more elegant is a Perfection Knot. Google it, very easy to tie once you figure it out from the diagrams. There is a gagnon knot too, but I've had difficulty finding it online last I looked.

I also use the heavy mono with crimps. I use this for some squid jigs and for jig leaders between my main line (braided) and the weighted jigs like lead-heads. Gives me something to grab as I try to control a fish at the surface. These work great, but may be a bit more susceptible to abrasion than the gagnon.

I use J-hooks on jigs only, circle for bait. 16/0 to 18/0 for most bait, maybe a 20/0 if I want to soak a big salmon head. Doesn't seem to be much difference in hookup percentage.

Good luck!

Chris
    My setup is similar to Mort's. I really like the palomar knot for securing the swivels and hooks. Easy and very strong. Here is a link to help with your knots: http://www.netknots.com/html/fishing_knots.html It also has the perfection knot. While fishing bait I have started using 20/0 hooks. It seemed to really help with hook ups. Even the little guys had no problems finding the hook. I have had problems with mono break at the crimps from store bought rigs, so I just use the knots. Have fun .
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I use 300# mono and crimp it. I've been debating going to gagnon but I have enough bait rigs and I generally run jigs. One advantage of gagnon is you can soak it in herring oil and it'll provide some extra scent.

Great info guys Thanks. I think I will try both ways to see what I like best.

It seems like most of you are using bigger hooks than I was planning. I have mostly been using 14/0 and 16/0, typical Mustad premade rigs.

I scored a free charter last year and we were using some smaller hooks, I think they were 10/0. Any one use anything that small? They seemed to work pretty good, landed 1 @ 140# and 1 @ 60# plus a full limit for 14 people of 20-30#.

I was thinking of making up some like that with 100# mono and doing some light tackle fishing.

gangione w/ 16/0 gammie circles with a pink sparkly squid. It's all about the squid, it is tested and approved. I like a corkscrew top to put my weight on
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

A couple concerns with the 100# mono. To me it doesn't have the stiffness to keep the terminal tackley from tangling up with the main line. Also butts are toothy buggers and can really tear up lighter line. There's a reason folks use 300-500# mono, weedwacker line or gagnon.

I'm kind of biased, because I have grown up and seen everyone I know use the Gagione line because it's strong, tough, doesn't have the memory mono will leave you with. You can also catch Lings with it and I haven't had one bite through it yet. I love the stuff.

Here is a pic of how I rig my rigs. They aren't the best pics, but to give you a visual.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Thanks for the Picture Pike. I might give it a try the way you had the weight corkscrew rigged up.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Looks like a sweet set up Pike. Have to try that one out. Where do you buy your gagnon line at?

Quote Originally Posted by Xanfly View Post
    Looks like a sweet set up Pike. Have to try that one out. Where do you buy your gagnon line at?
    I bought mine off of ebay. It was lasted me 3 years and I'm just half way through the spool. I got the #250
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Here are some i tied. I could not find the Gagione line you talked about on ebay. I wish i could find some but living in MN there is none to be had here. I used para cord as that is all i had available to me. I tied them with a uni knot. I hope it wont tangle to bad. If anyone see's any on ebay please let me know!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I use Gamakatsu 16/0 hooks. They are deadly as can be. I get my gagione line at the Gear Shed in Homer, you can get it in huge spools.

We use 300lb mono and crimp everything...you can use some surgical tube to place over the leader so its easy on your hands when pulling up the butts...
    BONEYARDBAITS THE BEST HALIBUT, ROCKFISH GRUBS ON THE PLANET....''06'' WORLD RECORD LINGCOD ''08'' HOMER HALIBUT DERBY WINNER''. BOTH FISH CAUGHT WITH BONEYARDBAIT GRUBS WWW.BONEYARDBAITS.COM

Thumbs up Gangion Line

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    Here are some i tied. I could not find the Gagione line you talked about on ebay. I wish i could find some but living in MN there is none to be had here. I used para cord as that is all i had available to me. I tied them with a uni knot. I hope it wont tangle to bad. If anyone see's any on ebay please let me know!
    If you can't find gangion line locally, there are some marine stores online that sell it. Try
    http://www.impmarine.com/en/home/Pro...&pnum=05010029
    and
    http://www.go2marine.com/category.do?no=12442
    There are others, I'm sure. And it shows up from time to time on ebay. If gangion weren't simple, cheap and effective, it wouldn't be the choice of the commercial rigs.

If you go with mono, definitely stick with 300+ lb line. 100lb is just not stiff enough, and you'll end up with a twisted, unusable leader sooner than later.

Parachute cord has resulted in plenty of halibut.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast