Thread: Dalton Corridor

Default Dalton Corridor

I left AK a few years ago (military), and am finally getting stationed bak up there. I was looking through regulations and didn't see anything about the requirement to be at least 1/4 mile from the road when bowhunting off the Haul Road north of Atigun Pass. Did they get rid of this? Is it still legal to use a rifle for furbearers up there with a trapping license?

yes,

and yes/no, depends on where you are located. Don't expect the troopers to know this though, they don't. Curt retired though I believe he's in coldfoot still doing "eco" tours. Go look for him, he was one of the better troopers I've met yet in this state!

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    Curt retired though I believe he's in coldfoot still doing "eco" tours. Go look for him, he was one of the better troopers I've met yet in this state!
    This fall Curt has been at Happy Valley flying out hunters to remote areas.

Yeah, Curt (can't remember his last name, though) gave me a lot of info on the do's and don'ts of caribou hunting in a phone conversation a few years back, before I took a trip up the Ivishak.

So, the restriction is gone, but the Troopers may still try to enforce it?

Default laws

still apply no change north of Bridge!
    Alaska

The descriptions provided in the 2006-2007 regulation book does not state there is a restriction on bow hunting within the Dalton Highway Cooridor Management Area. The descriptions are on page 101 and 102. The 1/4 mile restriction was lifted after one year.

no The troopers wont enforce the 1/4 mile issue. That is gone and everyone knows about it.

I was referring to your predator and trapping lisc. It seems only a very minute following seems to know this one. Troopers included seem to miss/overlook the fine print on this. Curt Bedingfield knows it though and he is still up there. Ya best get specifics as to exactly where the boundries are from him on where and where you can't and you might go as far as to get some kind of written info/statement from him so <the trooper> up there is aware of this and knows to contact Bob before he hauls you off to shawshank.
    Last edited by Webmaster; 10-15-2006 at 10:32. Reason: Removed Trooper names

Thanks TradBow,

I never had a problem up there before, but I didn't get stopped either. Made no attempt to conceal the rifle, just made sure Iwas off the driveable surface of the road and had all the regs with me. Not all the troopers know all the rules, especially the fuzzy ones.

A few years back, in North Pole a Highway Trooper stopped me and almost hauled me in for a coneale weapon, which was a loaded pistol in the vehicle. I had to explain the statute to him, which at that time was "concealed" meant on your person and didn't apply to inside a vehicle. He called back to the HQ and got it figgered out before I spent any time in the hoosegow.

I've dealt with <a trooper> before, too, making sure everything was legal with my getting a resident tag, even though I'd moved to Alaska. That one involved the Attorney General's office too, just to make sure.

I try to cover all my bases beforehand and have the proof onhand, just in case.
    Last edited by Webmaster; 10-15-2006 at 10:33. Reason: Removed trooper name

"I've dealt with <a tropper> before, too, making sure everything was legal with my getting a resident tag, even though I'd moved to Alaska. That one involved the Attorney General's office too, just to make sure."

Good to hear <the trooper> finally came to terms on this one.
    Last edited by Webmaster; 10-15-2006 at 10:36. Reason: Removed trooper name

Aahh the haul road... one of my favorites. Thanks Tradbow, for making us sound like idiots. I appreciate that one. It's funny that you can post your opinion on what the troopers up there know and don't know. Yes you can use a rifle, under a trapping license, inside the 5 mile corridor. However, you have to abide by the seasons for trapping if you are going to do it.

AKRoadkill: I think I would know if I've dealt with you on residency, but I sure don't recall it. The only AG's paperwork that ever hit my desk was a copy of an opinion related to military licenses/residency that Jim Urban sent to me. Anyone can find that on the AG's website if you are interested.

Burton,

Thanks for the reply and the PM....

I emailed Dave and yourself.

Lastly there is more to the story then just anywhere along the haul road on a trapping liscense! SO BEFORE you go getting off thinking I am calling you or your buddies out you might think again! It's a COA comment. Go to the man who KNOWS. I've personally delt with him ON THIS VERY SUBJECT, hence the remark of going to him. It's better to know 100% then to deal with a trooper with an attitude who may OR MAY NOT know for certain. Afterall I'd hate to see one of my coherts (the few there are) in court over something a simple comment like mine MAY HAVE prevented by sending him/her to the source who can get him/her the right answer, the first time, unconditionally. Which seems to be a big downfall in the hunting relm all together where questions, loopholes and uncertainties run the roost.