Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Gadgets do you use for hunting?

Default What Gadgets do you use for hunting?

I hunted with a guy this fall that we dubbed the gadget man. He had all kinds of new little toys and tricks that I had never used before.

This got me thinking. There have been so many new products come out that we never even thought of using in the field even 5-10 years ago. Just about everything I use in the field today, except for the essential items have been new inventions. I remember when hunting clothes were not waterproof camo, and boots were sorrels, so many other things have improved.

I thought this would be a good way to share some of them.

Personally for me the one thing that continues to impress me is the bino straps that hold your binoc’s close to your chest. Before I had these I found that I did far less glassing. I found the old neck straps to be very uncomfortable. I would have a sore neck for weeks after hunting season from hiking/ATVing with these hanging from my neck. It was often easier to pack them away and as a result they were hard to get to and got used far less.

So that’s my choice for one of my favorite new hunting gadgets.

Here are my questions.
    What new hunting gadget do you consider a must have in the field?
    How has it changed the way you hunt?
    Have you tried some new product that was worthless?

Many of the responses will be obvious, but this will be a good way to share your field test results to the others on this board, and possibly introduce others to something new.

Default I am not a gadget guy but...

I picked up a therma cell bug repellers a couple of falls ago to test out on a September bou hunt off the Denali Highway. I was very skeptical at first, but figured I could return it if I was not satisfied. These things just flat out work as long as you are not moving around. We would turn it on while we were glassing and with in a few minutes the pesky black flies and no see ums were gone. After we shot a small bull, we placed it on the animal while we were quartering and there were no bugs. I was pretty impressed. $25 well spent.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Pen-Water Purifier. I remember when all we carried was the bottle of coleman water pills, not we drop a UV stick that kills the germs.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    I picked up a therma cell bug repellers a couple of falls ago to test out on a September bou hunt off the Denali Highway. I was very skeptical at first, but figured I could return it if I was not satisfied. These things just flat out work as long as you are not moving around. We would turn it on while we were glassing and with in a few minutes the pesky black flies and no see ums were gone. After we shot a small bull, we placed it on the animal while we were quartering and there were no bugs. I was pretty impressed. $25 well spent.

i have 4 of them to set around the camp... man i hate those little black bugs that swarm the camp fire smoke... These things WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!

other gadgets..

cell phone for the alarm clock
    sat phone

i seem to always have my GPS... "just in case" but i am one of those guys who always starts stops in the same spot no mater the track i took...so the gps never gets used.

I like things that simplify camp life... the hooks and hangers etc...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default some gadgets are good, but...

...like a good friend of mine once quipped:
    A hunter is rich in relation to the amount of stuff he or she can afford to hunt without.

Default gadgets

As someone noted from some of my pics I hunt in blue jeans and not much camo, so I tend to go low tech. Old blue jeans and old army boots work as well as any cloths I see other people wear. I don't believe that strongly in scent repelants or expensive scopes and/or rifle set ups. Hard work and persistance seems to pay off for me, and packing too many gadgets (crap) into the woods means packing too many gadgets back.

The only 'gadgets' I use is my gps (still carry maps though), Jetboil (used to just eat cold food out of a can), and my moose magnet (for Sept). Unless you call my rafts and boats 'gadgets'.

Although reading this post I just might have to go out and get me a few therma cell bug repellers.

The gps lets me roam out much further than I used to and I do find I'm a little more reliant/complacent with it than I should be. The Jetboil does help with my energy levels, hot food and coffee can be such a comfort. And the moose magnet rocks for moose, I can be much louder and direct sound really well.

Other than those toys the only things in my pack are skinning knives, extra set of clothes (to include rain gear), tent and sleeping bag, game bags (just the plain jane one's), A little dried food and coffee, a small first aid kit, emergency fire starter (I like cotton balls soaked in petroleum jelly), strike anywhere matches, and a water filter (think I got it all).

b

One thing that has saved me many hours of time is the base camp water filter I use. No more pumping and pumping to get the several gallons of filtered water we end up using around camp. Just dip the bag and hang up to gravity feed through the filter. Looks like I oughta try a Thermacell......the gnats and flies always drive me crazy while skinning.
    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! (Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945)

Default Gadgets

I, too, am sold on the thermal repellent gizmo's, used them several times black bear hunting and virtually no bugs until you turn them off or they run out of juice - then you realize just how good they work! I thought it may scare off the bears but it does not seem to and heck, almost all of them coming into bait seem to know your sitting there anyway from my experiences.
    I would have to say a gadget I have learned to carry a lot is a range finder - as a bowhunter, and a gun hunter, I find it very useful and it helps me keep my shots within "my" comfort range. Sometimes you look across a bay or ravine and think that looks pretty do-able - then you range it and go Hmmm - better move!
    Randy

The best new thing for me is the better bullets we have in the last twenty years.Always had good water around,skin so soft for bugs plus it keeps me looking two days younger.No real need for glass in the thick stuff I enjoy.Better fitting rubber boots are nice if you remember them.The stronger new rope we have now is nice also. Don't believe in the scent stuff as I smoke so much they know something is up. Did have one of the best guides I know tell me smoking don't hurt anything as critters smell smoke all the time and are used to it.So mostly better bullets for me.

Default Under armour

Under Armour is awesome. I also think that the new energy bars and drinks make a big difference. Allthough these aren't really gadgets.
    Are you as unimpressed with my signature block as I am with yours?

I really like my closed cell foam pad that I carry to sit on. It always provides a warm dry spot for the seat of my pants to rest .

I’ve been making my own toys for a very long time.

HF radio system.

Moose Birch bark meg-a-phone.

Moose antler decoy.

Electronics caller.

TyVeck sleeping bag.

Electronics audio amplifier for better hearing.

TyVeck game bags, work in progress.

LED night light for the tent.

A special knife for cutting the hide of a moose.

18’airboat.

Pull trailer, and pull sleds.

2 wheel game cart.

There must be more, I just can’t remember.

closed cell foam pad that I carry to sit on. Thank 338 wm for remining me.

Big buddy heater with hose and large gas bottle, in my cabelas 8 man Alaskan guide model tent, double air mattress and a wiggy sleeping bag... it's all about comfort I also consider some of these some good gadgets I use:

Terma cell
    Range finder
    lens pen
    jet boil and mountain house
    muck boots
    HH rain gear
    cutco hunters knife
    game saver spray
    folding stool
    MSR water purifier
    Rhino GPS
    "Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

I almost forgot to mention my girl Betsy. I call in the bull and she brings em in for a closer look.

Bad picture, but you get the idea.
    Last edited by northriver21; 07-25-2009 at 07:33.

my Browning led headlamp with lithium batteries is one "gadget" that goes with me 98% of my trips. I also like my lexan spork, JetBoil, Cut-Co, Black Diamond Trekking Poles, Big Agnes sleeping pad, GPS. Lens pen, Eberlestock X1 bag.... Probably more that I am missing.

Only gadget that I really use afield is my range finder, a Leica CRF 1200. I like to use it when the action is slow and try estimating yardage. I do ok in the woods but when you get out in the open it's whole nother ballgame. It really comes in handy when archery and sheep hunting.

Default Bino Straps

My bino straps are the best $20I ever spent on hunting.

I may have to spend some more since everyone thinks the Thermo Cell is so great.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post

I second the thermo cell, i use it caribou hunting in august every year and its great

Default ThermaCell

Yes.

My test was two fold.
    First time was in Denali park - family trip.
    Setup camp - fired up the ThermaCell, didn't turn it off. Never had bugs around camp.
    Didn't really think much about it; brushed it off as a possible fluke.

Prudhoe Bay. Got out of the truck to setup camp. Immediately swarmed by billions of mosquitoes that formed relentless hordes.
    Fired up the ThermaCell in our 'kitchen' - bug free zone.
    Step outside the 'kitchen' bugs.
    Turn off ThermaCell, bugs in kitchen.

Ah, ThermaCell. Where have you been all my life?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

themacell, DO NOT USE IN CAMPER with out open windows, AND roof vents...

OH moui..... what a head ache in the morning...!!!!!!!!!!

yeah i know the "DIRECTIONS" mention that.. still who reads them?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast