Thread: Wildcats and Workhorse calibers...

Default Wildcats and Workhorse calibers...

There are no official reports of field performance from any of the most recent cartridge developments yet, but in the past year, four new cartridges have been designed and are in chambered rifles.

The 416 Murphy, 411 Clopton, 358 Nukalpiaq and 423 Caprivi have all been built into rifles. Mostly they have taken in excess of one year from start to finish, not too costly time wise from conception to shooting model. I'll be testing and developing data for the last of the four over the next couple of weeks. This 358 shows a lot of promise even though I may never learn to pronounce the name correctly. I'll let the new owner elaborate on the rifle but the first loaded rounds will be fired this week, More news at eleven. I hope my calculations were good.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Murphy, I started a new custom rifle in motion, chambered for the 358 Nukalpiaq. I've been reading the posts from you and Nukalpiaq. What is the situation for renting the reamer or should I contact Dave Manson to buy or rent from him? This is a fascinating cartridge, and looking forward to the load development results. I'm waiting on Hornady to get more brass in stock. Seems everyone is buying up all the brass they can get their hands on. Any info or tips for the rifle or ammo loads would be appreciated.

I'm glad you're interested. I have the reamer now, the reamer and headspace gage. I believe we are going to make a buy with some headstamped brass shortly also and I have a set of dies left for the 358 Nukalpiaq so you'd be ahead of the game there. I still have a quantity of the Hornady 375 Ruger basic, cylindrical brass which is without headstamp that I'm fireforming for the originator of the caliber.

This project has been delay several times but I think rifle and loads are on track now. I'm still doing load development and using some of the RL-17 powder that Blackfoot and Ronster arranged and delivered. It came in just in time for this project.

I have a package deal if you want the dies and some brass but actually the reamer is rented without charge as long as the smith is a good one.

I do think this is a good caliber with good ballistics. There is a huge assortment of bullets now available for the caliber from the 357 magnum revolver bullets to up to the 280 grain Swift A-frame, which can be driven in excess of 2600 fps. A real close quarters hammer for the big tough guys.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Smile reamers, dies, brass, Nukalpiaq

Thanks for the info. I definitly am interested in a package deal for the dies and brass. Do you have the 2 die set or the 3 die set? I like having the neck die for added case life. I will check with my riflesmith to give you his info for the reamers.

I'm finding that most barrels in .358 are made with 14 twist only. Is this the best twist for the Nukalpiaq? I'm having this rifle built for hunting in Alaska & Canada for large game.

Again, I really appreciate the info.

Default 358 Nukalpiaq

Murphy,
    Just wanted to let you know I'm still interested in the dies and brass deal. You know how it goes when you get that itch and can't stop scratchn'. Anything I can do on my end to help, give me a shout.

Also, very interested in any results from Nukalpiaq getting his rifle completed and test fires.

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak Kansas View Post
    Murphy,
    Just wanted to let you know I'm still interested in the dies and brass deal. You know how it goes when you get that itch and can't stop scratchn'. Anything I can do on my end to help, give me a shout.

Also, very interested in any results from Nukalpiaq getting his rifle completed and test fires.
    The 358 caliber is working out very well, exceeding my expectations with every bullet weight. We had some minor problems with the rifle but loads and test firing went well and the load development is working out fine. Would you be interested in the headstamped brass when that order comes through? I can form from basic unstamped brass for about $1.50 each or about $2.50 for the headstamped brass from quality cartridge. The three die set would be about $200. I think it is a winner of a cartridge.

Murphy,
    Thanks for the update. I can purchase the 3 die set from you immediately. I'm interested in buying some formed unstamped basic brass. It would be safe to have 50 formed cases from you to spec out with the ones I form. It's very rewarding for me to form and prep my own brass to shoot and hunt with. I have been able to buy 100 cases of basic hornady a couple of weeks ago. I found your case forming posts in the reloading section. Thanks for the great info.

My gunsmith is setup for the rifle project, but he's looking at a couple months to actually start with machining. I'll send you a PM to set up the reamer deal when he's ready in a couple months.

Look forward to you posting some load data. Hope Nukalpiaq's rifle is performing well.

Hope to hear from you soon.
    Last edited by Kodiak Kansas; 02-18-2009 at 21:36. Reason: update info