Thread: ok this one of those supid things a nebie ask

Default ok this one of those supid things a nebie ask

ok let say the air charter drops you off and takes back off to the world ..and after a couple of days he will met you at a certian place on the map..and pick you with your hunting buddie and other people of the group ..your right where you are to be so be picked up .you have extra food and a meat that shot and some extras items as need to stay out another week if need be ,,so you call on the sat phone and no one anweser the phone number and he does not come back for you. ..you have to call a another air taxi to come take you out ..who pays for the air taxi home ..do you have to pay or the people that where to pick up...iam saying that maybe engine trouble or someother thing sideline is plane..or the guy just foregetten about you and your group out there..

If he was honestly "side lined" with problems they would typically arrange for someone else to pick you up, or at least be in contact w/ you about the problems. If he's not answering his phone and returning calls I'd say there is more to it. If you call someone else to pick you up I would have to say you are responsible, you could try to go after the original guy but I don't think you'd get any thing.

You could give him the choice of refunding your money or making a formal complaint to the licensing board. This problem is part of the reason you check references before contracting with someone. Larry Bartlett has this problem with an air charter last year. Good luck. J.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by henry2 View Post
    ok let say the air charter drops you off and takes back off to the world ..and after a couple of days he will met you at a certian place on the map..and pick you with your hunting buddie and other people of the group ..your right where you are to be so be picked up .you have extra food and a meat that shot and some extras items as need to stay out another week if need be ,,so you call on the sat phone and no one anweser the phone number and he does not come back for you. ..you have to call a another air taxi to come take you out ..who pays for the air taxi home ..do you have to pay or the people that where to pick up...iam saying that maybe engine trouble or someother thing sideline is plane..or the guy just foregetten about you and your group out there..

I think that if your transporter didn't make arrangements to have you picked up, and you were forced to call another, then yes you would wind up paying the other person you called, it is not his deal to have to try and collect what you already paid some one.. but you should be able to get your money back...

as for you supplies and needing to stay if needed...

I read a lot of "packing list? for flying threads" it is important to stay with in the weight limits. but don't short your self. i have several friends and know many others who were stranded because of 9/11 and spent a considerable amount of time out they did not plan on, when the FAA grounded ALL PLANES....

"hopefully" we'll be eating moose while were out there. is still hopefully. don't short change yourself
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

My family was in the business & I've been around the business for 20 yrs. As others have said in the conditions you describe any reputable flight service would arrange with someone else to do the pickup at as close to the appointed time as possible & pay them out of his pocket (what you've already paid him). Happens fairly often with small operators. Unless they are real jerks most of them have some type of working araingement with other small operators. As I understand it back in "the day" (50s) my father-in-law & one other guy were the only charter guys working out of Kenai, & both of them were one pilot operations. If one was ill, had mechanical problems, etc the other always covered for him. As their operations grew they were still friendly to each other but with multiple plains & pilots the need to cover for each other went away.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default Once

Once my pilot nosed in in his cessna 206, he sent another pilot to pick us us. I think any decent transporter would set you up with another ride. Also, there should be a general flight plan for all clients. Sat phones are not only a life saver but are great for keeping you in contact with the real world. Now I just need to be able to afford one.

Terry

As a transporter he is legally responsible for you. I'm not sure if it is criminal law or civil but as above seek reimbursement, if it doesn't work don't bother arguing go after them starting w/ fish and game and the troopers.
    This would only apply in the stated case, as having a transporter CX at the last min. and not bring you in is different.

Default Importance of having it in writing, and sat phones!

There are countless reasons things don't go as planned when you arrange a fly out hunt. They may, or may not, be your fault. You could never anticipate and allow for all of them.

Have the flight service give you a quote in writing before you ever send them a deposit or reserve your dates. The quote should include the rate per hour, the cost for shuttles (taking several light loads from a small lake to another lake large enough to take off of with everything at once), meat hauls, mid hunt moves, weight you'll be allowed to take, one-way or round trip, and anything else they will want to charge extra for.

Your deposit should hold your dates and your quoted rate! Many hunters had to fork over extra cash this fall because fuel went up between the time they made their reservation and when they actually flew. Make sure it is clear what the deposit does for you and under what conditions it is refundable. I am understanding when it's my fault I have to cancel, but what if it's the fault of the flight service? Many deposits are "Non-refundable". Reputable services generally charge 25%-50% (in my experience) as a deposit. Any more and I would be very cautious!

If your deposit is 1/2 of the anticipated cost of the trip you should not have to pay the other half until you return. This means if your original transporter can't hold up his end of the bargain you wouldn't be out the money for a flight you didn't get.

One scenario I fear would be the pilot drops me off and leaves but crashes and is killed before making it back home, having never told anyone else where he dropped me. Out of the 9 Alaska Fly-out hunts I've done, not one has gone exactly as originally planned as far as flying days and times. You must be flexible. Weather, mecanical problems, back-ups due to previous weather delays, getting your game earlier than expected, are all common reasons to change your plans.

Most planes have to have a mechanical inspection every 100 hours of flying time. That could be every 2 weeks or less during peak season for a busy pilot. It is hard for flight services to schedule these inspections so everything works out without moving client flight times or having another operator take the clients.

I like to select services that have more than one plane/pilot because it gives the service alternatives when things don't go as expected or plans change.

Brian

If I couldn't find my pilot or his help at his office and I called another air taxi..my first question would be. Have you heard if anything happen to your original pilot. Air Taxis are a small community and they will most likely know what happened to your pilot.

thanks for the info ...we have a unspoken rule here in texas .as most police depts have when a call for help goes out on the radio ,,in less your 500,miles away ..you better be there and ready to help with the call ...i think the people that live in alaska that bush flying people for a liveing wound show up for the call or to see if you wear all right..

You also have to remember that in Alaska what we consider an emergency and what the rest of the country consider an emergency are two entirely different things.

I called for a pickup with an air taxi one time and they were backed up big time because of the weather. The gal that answered the phone asked if I was warm, dry and had food. I answered yes to all three and she said they'd see me in a couple days. They will do their best to get you when you call or on your pickup day, but if they weather screws things up be prepared to stay a few more days.

Before Sat phones there were times we sat for days waiting on a plane. I never got left behind, even when my air taxi wrecked their plane and had somebody else pull us out, but there was certainly a wait at times.